1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 11:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    My point is that you get a lot of joy out of 10 cents a day. Divide these ten cents with the hours you spend with RHP and see if you can find any cheaper joy.

How much cost a cigarette in your country? How many do you smoke each day? What is healthier?
    What is the cost of petrol in your country? How many unnecessary kilometres are you driving each da ...[text shortened]... ot afford 10 cents a day, then I'm sure you prioritize something else that means more to you.
    I don't smoke and don't understand smokers. They never seem to get any happier from smoking. Just poorer and unhealthier. And while I had a car in the recent past, I currently do not have one. When I had one though, I pretty much never drove "unnecessary kilometres". If possible I used my bike or I walked.

While I do spent (or spend, i can never remember) money on things I don't need, I don't spen.....dt more than I want to. I could buy CDs for 30 euros per CD but I wouldn't enjoy them as much as a cheaper CD. Living this way allows me to buy more CDs. The same goes for a car. I wouldn't buy one that is very expensive if I can also get a good car for 25% of the price of the expensive car. As long as it can take me from A to B and back to A without problems, I'm happy. I don't need an intergrated swimming pool in my car.

All of this doesn't really matter though. What's the problem with having a third subscription option? As someone else here already pointed out, RHP wouldn't be the first website to do so. You'd be happy with your subsciption, I'd be happy with mine, and RHP would be happy with our combined subscriptions (assuming my idea will earn them money...). Everybody would be happy.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 12:21
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Dutch people are generally known to want to pay as less as possible for everything. I am no exception to that. In my opinion the current subscription fee of ~40 dollars per year is way too much money. As much as I enjoy playing chess on this site, I just don't think it's worth it.

However, let's say the subscription fee was 15 dollars/euros per ye ...[text shortened]... ompared to the situation as it is at this moment, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.
    Do you work?

Would you be willing to take a pay cut of 1 Euro per week?

I didn't think so. So use the extra 1 Euro you screw out of your boss, to pay the annual subscription to RHP, that way your boss is paying the sub for you!
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 17:52
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Do you work?

Would you be willing to take a pay cut of 1 Euro per week?

I didn't think so. So use the extra 1 Euro you screw out of your boss, to pay the annual subscription to RHP, that way your boss is paying the sub for you!
    Just ignoring the mindbogglingly illogical nature of your argument for a moment, at what week price would you draw the line? I'm genuinely curious. Is it $1.20? $1.30? $1.40? $1.50? What if it went to $1.50 in two years from now? I asked this question before but got no answer, unfortunately. I realize there aren't many people agreeing with me on this subject (well, on many subjects actually) and I accept that and have no problem with it. I'm just curious what you think is an acceptable price for what is offered at the moment.

Btw, my boss is already paying for the time I spendt on this website when I should be working, so I can't possibly ask for more, can I?
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 21:06
    Just ignoring the mindbogglingly illogical nature of your argument for a moment, at what week price would you draw the line? I'm genuinely curious. Is it $1.20? $1.30? $1.40? $1.50? What if it went to $1.50 in two years from now? I asked this question before but got no answer, unfortunately. I realize there aren't many people agreeing with me on this ...[text shortened]... I spendt on this website when I should be working, so I can't possibly ask for more, can I?
    the site is a business, the whole reason for rhp is to make russ and chris (the owners) money. as a business they're going to be looking for a competitive product with a competitive price in the internet chess market. they don't do a bad job on this in my opinion. plus those ads that you see help keep the site running, with a cheaper subscription rate you could arguably see an increase of subscribers which could actually see a decrease in profit given that advertisers are likely to pay less with fewer non-subs using he site.

basically, its not going to go down from $40 a year, it might go up in a few years though and you're wasting your time complaining about it.

a lot of the subscribers, probably the vast majority are the 30+ markets that will have no problems with paying $40 for the site per year.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 21:44
    Originally posted by trev33
    no

but if you're lucky it might go up to $50 in a year or so...
    Well it would be worth the $50.00 especially if they added the annotation for games. Oh yea, & GP's Pgn thingy with black being able to move first. 😉

I would like to see life time membership offer at some point!

I know of one other site who did that for their 10 year anniversary, for all I know it could be a sister site.
  6. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 00:51
    Now wait a minute. I'm talking about saving money and you're Scottish. Surely you should be on my side with this.

Anyway, it's not going to happen, is it?
    I and others would love it to be free. However out of all the sites available I reckon this site is more value for money than any other site and as such I don't begrudge a single penny.
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 00:53
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    Then I would stay non-sub just to irritate you:p
    The day has to come (once sufficient subscribers) that non subs are given a limited time eg once a time or number of games completed.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 06:561 edit
    the site is a business, the whole reason for rhp is to make russ and chris (the owners) money. as a business they're going to be looking for a competitive product with a competitive price in the internet chess market. they don't do a bad job on this in my opinion. plus those ads that you see help keep the site running, with a cheaper subscription rate you cou ajority are the 30+ markets that will have no problems with paying $40 for the site per year.
    I wish Russ and Chris all the best and lots of money (and I don't mean this sarcastic). They've created a very nice website and so far I've had a great time here.

If you had however cared to read my original message, you would have noticed that I suggested that having a cheaper subscription fee would mean NOT losing the advertisments. This way Russ and Chris would still get the advertisments money AND the money from the former non-subscribers.

This might however mean that a lot of current subscribers will change their membership to the cheaper option, and THAT might indeed lead to a decrease in profit. That should thus be looked into before adding this third option.

I really thought this was all very clear from my initial post. I was wrong.

Also, I'm not complaining, I'm making a suggestion. You might say I'm posting a "Site Idea". I thought that was the basic idea behind this sub-forum. Again, I was wrong.

As a last remark: typing this has cost me about 3 minutes. I'd hardly call that "wasting my time". I've thought 30 minutes about chess moves that would later result in me losing the game. Not that is wasting my time!
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 12:28
    Just ignoring the mindbogglingly illogical nature of your argument for a moment, at what week price would you draw the line? I'm genuinely curious. Is it $1.20? $1.30? $1.40? $1.50? What if it went to $1.50 in two years from now? I asked this question before but got no answer, unfortunately. I realize there aren't many people agreeing with me on this ...[text shortened]... I spendt on this website when I should be working, so I can't possibly ask for more, can I?
    Confused?

Do you not think that admin have already looked at things and decided the level of fees they think are acceptable? The fees went up from $30 to $40 a few years ago for new subs. Existing subs retained the previous fee, a perk of subscription with admin rewarding those who support the site.

When the annual sub gets too high then a few things will happen, such as

People will decide its too much and not resubscribe.

Admin will then look at the net outflow or income and work out if it is worth dropping fees, offering incentives etc to entice people back.

Admin have decided that the current sub is right, people who sub are happy enough to pay the fee, some don't and remain "freeloaders".

Its like everything in life, there are limits to what people are willing to pay.

When I decide the fee becomes too much, I will not resubscribe. Its as simple as that.

No-one is going to say "I would be willing to pay £40/£60/£100 per year" for a service that they get for say £30. Doing so just lets the provider of the service know that there is an opportunity to increase the fees without really upsetting people.
  10. e4
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 19:31
    I don't smoke and don't understand smokers.
    You non smokers don't know how to relax.

90% of the inmates in nut houses are non-smokers and that's a fact.

It's what tobacco was put on this God's for earth.
    To relax us and help take the strain out of living.
    (what other reason is there for it?....everything has a purpose....)

I smoke 5 roll ups a day. No more, no less.

Tobacco is a health drug.

I have another statistic for you. 100% of non-smokers die.

Chill out, have a ciggy, pay the sub and relax.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 19:54
    Believe me, I'm really far more relaxed than you might think from reading this little thread of mine. I'm not holding the computer screen in my hands yet going "WHY DON"T YOU PEOPLE GET WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY??? WHYYYY????????". It's all good. If there are so few people (non-subscribers as well as subscribers) that are interested in more than 2 options, then I can live with that. As I said earlier, I'm not here to convert anybody, it was just an idea. Maybe in the other thread that was started about this subject more people will think positively about it and it might lead to something.

Also, you claim that 100% of non-smokers die.

You got no proof of that whatsoever.

Finally (how far away from the original thread can we get?), I just looked at the famous move that you posted from Craddock-Mieses and was absolutely baffled by it. How on earth can someone plan that far ahead and make it work??? Is it tobacco?
  12. e4
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 22:29
    Hi King Rat

"How on earth can someone plan that far ahead and make it work??? Is it tobacco?"

All the great players either smoked or chewed tobacco.

You must have heard of 'yellow teethed' Capablanca, 'smelly' Lasker
    and 'coughing up his lungs' Alekhine.

I'll correct my statistics:

To date, 100% of non smokers have died.

The real killer is oxygen.
    Anyone who has ever lived or died has at one time or another breathed in oxygen.
    That's a fact.

A two or three tier subscription service is a good idea but sounds far too
    complicated for the powers that be to implement.

They cannot even get a PGN moving thingy thing with Black going first.

Rule One for 'Site Ideas', keep it simple....very very simple....
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 23:16
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

90% of the inmates in nut houses are non-smokers and that's a fact.
    links?
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 23:28
    I wish Russ and Chris all the best and lots of money (and I don't mean this sarcastic). They've created a very nice website and so far I've had a great time here.

If you had however cared to read my original message, you would have noticed that I suggested that having a cheaper subscription fee would mean NOT losing the advertisments. This way Russ ...[text shortened]... ss moves that would later result in me losing the game. Not that is wasting my time!
    i did read your original post, fingered this would've died. that's why i didn't respond then.

you say that they would still get the advertisers money, ok think about it. you're paying to have your ads on this site and they lower the price resulting in fewer non-subs using the site, which means fewer people viewing your ads. would you want to pay the same amount of money with less people viewing your ad? i wouldn't.

the site has been around for 9 years now, i'm thinking they're pretty happy with the price structure the way it is. when i first joined (5 years ago) they used to offer a monthly subscription but i'm guessing too many people bought it for a month, loaded up games and cancelled.

personally i would like to see them do something like conquerclub.com were instead of ads they give you an option of buying a product for another site (often cheaper than the subscription fee) and as a result that company pays for your subscription. can't see it happening though.
  15. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 23:322 edits
    links?
    how about tying the subscription fees to the number of concurrent games you can play?

$20. subscription.....no more than 20 games at a time and limited messaging on the forums

$40 subscription.....unlimited access

$250....lifetime subscription and inclusion into an exclusive RHP supporters club.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree