1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 21:07
    When someone is banned from the site, they should lose their wins in all the tournaments they are in. For example...

Tournament 1100

Everyone who has completed their games with Wuffel is at a disadvantage for no reason. Wuffel should automatically lose ALL his games, not just incomplete games. Would it be possible to do this? Why should fast players be penalised?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 21:40
    Agree!

Every game should considered lost and all points recalculated.
    Or else it would be good to drag every game at snails pace.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 22:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Agree!

I am amazed the tournaments aren't managed like this already! A cheats negative affect on the site should end when they are banned, by leaving the points like this, they're negative effect remains for months after they are banned. I wonder how many people have lost a tournament like this already? Quite a few i suspect...
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 00:23
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    When someone is banned from the site, they should lose their wins in all the tournaments they are in. For example...

Tournament 1100

Everyone who has completed their games with Wuffel is at a disadvantage for no reason. Wuffel should automatically lose ALL his games, not just incomplete games. Would it be possible to do this? Why should fast players be penalised?
    That sounds great in principle, but it could cause major practical difficulties.

For instance, the banned player might have reached the final round in several tournaments. In order to progress so far in each tournament, he must have eliminated a lot of players. If the banned player was stripped of all his wins, shouldn't the eliminated players be reinstated? But that would invalidate all the later rounds and effectively destroy the tournament.

The only practical solution would be to allow the earlier results to stand. Therefore the only players who would benefit are his opponents in the last round - which is even more unfair than the current situation.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 01:02
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    That sounds great in principle, but it could cause major practical difficulties.

For instance, the banned player might have reached the final round in several tournaments. In order to progress so far in each tournament, he must have eliminated a lot of players. If the banned player was stripped of all his wins, shouldn't the eliminated players be rein ...[text shortened]... fit are his opponents in the last round - which is even more unfair than the current situation.
    I agree, the results in previous rounds have to stand, we'd never finish a tournament otherwise. I disagree on the other point however. Looking at the example i posted, Wuffel has beaten a lot of people, if EVERYONE get's wins against Wuffel, then it levels up round so it is a competition between the remaining players. What's the problem with that? If two players draw their two games against each other (while beating everyone else), but one of them has lost a game against someone who is then banned, why should that person be knocked out when the winner has simply been given a win against the banned player? That is inconsistent, they should both progress...
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 02:43
    Agree!

That's pretty much impossible. Say a player who has played 500 games is banned. You'd think you'd only have to adjust 500 results and change ratings based on those. Except that the first game would change someone's rating and then every game they play from then on needs to be adjusted too.

Basically you'd have to readjust every game played since that person first joined. Every time someone got banned.

It's just impossible.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 10:542 edits
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    That's pretty much impossible. Say a player who has played 500 games is banned. You'd think you'd only have to adjust 500 results and change ratings based on those. Except that the first game would change someone's rating and then every game they play from then on needs to be adjusted too.

Basically you'd have to readjust every game played since that person first joined. Every time someone got banned.

It's just impossible.
    No no no, i didn't say anything about changing ratings! That would have to stay the same, it would be impossible to change them, for obvious reasons. I'm just talking about the points they have scored in an open round in a tournament. When they are banned, they lose their points for that round and everyone else is awarded a win against them, thus evening up the playing field for all the remaining people in that tournament.

EDIT: If you look at the example i posted, you'll notice that all the higher rated players in the group slow played Wuffell, as you go down in ratings you notice that the middle to lower rated guys have all lost a game or two to him. Caissad4, myself and jmayes will all be given 6 points each for "beating" Wuffell. Marko Krale has scored well in this tournament, but if he'd played slowly he'd be awarded another 6 points for nothing and would only have to scalp Caissa to stand a chance of winning (jmayes and myself aren't exactly out of his league while Caissa probably is...)

He's played well, but he's at a disadvantage because he played quickly against an engine, awarding everyone 6 points when Wuffell is banned means that everyone gets the same bonus and keeps the tournament fair.

Alternatively the site could simply not award 6 points to the people who have not completed their games with said cheat. That would also be fair...
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 11:51
    No no no, i didn't say anything about changing ratings! That would have to stay the same, it would be impossible to change them, for obvious reasons. I'm just talking about the points they have scored in an open round in a tournament. When they are banned, they lose their points for that round and everyone else is awarded a win against them, thus evenin ...[text shortened]... people who have not completed their games with said cheat. That would also be fair...
    Good idea.

D
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 18:28
    No no no, i didn't say anything about changing ratings! That would have to stay the same, it would be impossible to change them, for obvious reasons. I'm just talking about the points they have scored in an open round in a tournament. When they are banned, they lose their points for that round and everyone else is awarded a win against them, thus evenin ...[text shortened]... people who have not completed their games with said cheat. That would also be fair...
    I wasn't responding to you.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 19:011 edit
    With all points I mean 3 points for win and 1 for draw.
    I don't necessary mean reating points though it is hard to recalculate them.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 19:05
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I wasn't responding to you.
    Quite right, oops.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree