1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 00:57
    It seems to me that C@W is simply RHP without the color and the Pawn logo. The giant chessboards when playing, as well as the little ones on the main page, make the site still not that stealthy. Could the little sample games on the main page be removed and could we play directly on the little "game details" board that comes up on [My Games] => [info]?
  2. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 05:021 edit
    A-ha! Another person that keeps their pointer on the minimize button all day.
    I find that it works well to open a work related site then open C@W in a small window (about a quarter of my screen). Anyone comes in, I just click the work related site 🙂

Seriously, I think the idea behind chess@work is that it works well through firewalls. Doesn't require any downloads, flash, plug-ins, etc.
    It works great through my company firewall and network.

I would also favor an option for smaller boards and maybe an "oh no, my boss is coming" button that immediately puts up a fake word document of a generic inter-office memo.
  3. Standard membergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 07:58
    Why don't you work while you are at work instead?
  4. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 08:04
    Originally posted by gumbie
    Why don't you work while you are at work instead?
    Are you crazy???
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 09:361 edit
    I'm not at work. I'm at school. They are pretty lenient, but they do tell me to stop playing games once in a while.

RHP works through the firewall here. No need to download flash or anything.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 09:45
    I will be developing a version of RHP that will work on a micro-browser soon (so I can use it on my phone, and people can use PDAs.) Although functionally it will be limited to viewing 'my games' and making moves, there would be nothing to prevent you using this in a normal browser at school, work, or wherever.

-Russ
  7. London
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 09:51
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Are you crazy???
    Indeed!

Of course, in my case, it helps that my boss used to be an avid RHP patron himself ...
  8. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 15:30
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Indeed!

Of course, in my case, it helps that my boss used to be an avid RHP patron himself ...
    Now that's lucky!
    I've never met anyone in person that has even heard of RHP.
    Fortunately, I've caught my boss playing "Doom" on his computer enough times that I no longer feel guilty when catching me playing chess.
  9. London
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 16:35
    Originally posted by Saint Nick
    Now that's lucky!
    I've never met anyone in person that has even heard of RHP.
    Fortunately, I've caught my boss playing "Doom" on his computer enough times that I no longer feel guilty when catching me playing chess.
    Actually, RHP (more specifically, C@W - which was how I joined the site) used to be quite the rage at my workplace some time back. Unfortunately, a lot of those people have been promoted (or have left the company), so it's not quite so hot anymore.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 19:31
    When this site was first developed it became quite popular where I worked. It very quickly went from 'Hey, cool, that is Russ' new site.' to 'NO MORE CHESS IN WORK TIME!'.

My boss did have his monitor facing in to a corner though, and he fooled no one.

-Russ
  11. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    07 Dec '04 21:32
    Originally posted by Russ
    When this site was first developed it became quite popular where I worked. It very quickly went from 'Hey, cool, that is Russ' new site.' to 'NO MORE CHESS IN WORK TIME!'.

My boss did have his monitor facing in to a corner though, and he fooled no one.

-Russ
    And I always thought RHP HQ was in your basement! 😲
  12. Footscrazy
    Moves
    10 Dec '04 03:13
    Originally posted by Russ
    I will be developing a version of RHP that will work on a micro-browser soon (so I can use it on my phone, and people can use PDAs.) Although functionally it will be limited to viewing 'my games' and making moves, there would be nothing to prevent you using this in a normal browser at school, work, or wherever.

-Russ
    Russ, I'm looking at upgrading my phone some time soon. What should I be looking for to be able to use this?
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    10 Dec '04 10:39
    I don't want to offer too much advice on this until I have a prototype working. But, if your device has a web browser, then that should be enough.

I bought a Sharp GX15, and I really am very impressed by it. (It is relatively cheap now too.) It has the open wave browser embedded in it, so I guess that will be my target platform initially.

-Russ
  14. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    10 Dec '04 16:25
    so you are planning something for PDAs and not for (simple) mobile phones 🙁 but I will upgrade my phone in the next moths as well - why not choosing one that lets RHP rock 😀
    th
  15. Footscrazy
    Moves
    12 Dec '04 21:12
    Thx Russ, will keep it in mind...

(RHP on the tram... that would so rock!)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree