Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    06 Dec '15 12:18 / 1 edit
    There's really nothing anyone can do to prevent it. The signup page requires you to say you're at least 13, but we've had grown men sign up their children, so what message is that sending to the child?

The potential for harm to children exists on every web site. The internet is not a safe place for the innocent, and it's up to parents to educate their children on the dangers and supervise their internet use. Kids with uncaring parents can get into just as much trouble at the local shopping mall.

There's nothing to stop people from reporting apparently underage people here to the site owner.
  2. 06 Dec '15 14:48
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes
  3. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    06 Dec '15 15:12
    If I needed to talk to the site administrator I would send feedback. Have you tried that?
  4. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    06 Dec '15 18:58
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    My concerns as well. Thanks for initiating this discussion. Let's hope Russ himself stops by to read your impassioned original post and replies here or by PM. .
  5. 07 Dec '15 22:02
    Have you fossils ever considered that this antiquated chess site is the least of your concerns when it comes to luring children?
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblemonline
    The Advanced Mind
    08 Dec '15 04:33
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Have you fossils ever considered that this antiquated chess site is the least of your concerns when it comes to luring children?
    H...h...hold on sonny, let muh put on muh glasses here....

oh you again,...ain't it past yer bedtime?!
  7. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    08 Dec '15 17:14
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Irrelevant to the valid concerns expressed by drewnogal in her original post. Suggest you read them again thoughtfully for the first time.
  8. 13 Dec '15 22:07
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Irrelevant to the valid concerns expressed by drewnogal in her original post. Suggest you read them again thoughtfully for the first time.
    I agree you nee help in this area; you're the one who still insists @tygert is a 14 year old.
  9. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    30 Dec '15 08:47
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I agree you nee help in this area; you're the one who still insists @tygert is a 14 year old.
    @Tygert: "Last moved 498 days 23 hours and 3 minutes ago"

"My real name is Tyger. I am 14 years old and go to Bishop's College in Cape Town, South Africa. Hence my username is pronounced Tyger T separately. I play chess for fun and as a mental exercise, nothing more. I will jump at any opportunity to improve my cerebral capacity. I have taught myself everything I know about this game except for how the pieces move. I love to chat during games; it makes it more interesting. At the moment I am taking skulls because I want to get a rating above 1600. Take mine.

Opening preferences: Queen's Gambit, Italian Game and English Opening as white. The Najdorf Sicilian, Scandinavian Defence and Caro-Kann against 1.e4 and Baltic Defence, Gruenfeld Defence against 1.d4 as black.

Move once a day on weekdays but more on weekends.

Let's play!

Subscriber as of 10th of May 2013. Periodically stop moving frequently every May, June, November and December because of my exams."
  10. 30 Dec '15 09:49
    @Tygert: "Last moved 498 days 23 hours and 3 minutes ago"

"My real name is Tyger. I am 14 years old and go to Bishop's College in Cape Town, South Africa. Hence my username is pronounced Tyger T separately. I play chess for fun and as a mental exercise, nothing more. I will jump at any opportunity to improve my cerebral capacity. I have taught myself ...[text shortened]... Periodically stop moving frequently every May, June, November and December because of my exams."
    We can all read a profile
  11. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    30 Dec '15 15:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    We can all read a profile
    ~o-o~

"My real name is Tyger. I am 14 years old..."
  12. 31 Dec '15 02:08 / 1 edit
    "My real name is Tyger. I am [b]14 years old..."[/b]
    No he isn't.
  13. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    31 Dec '15 03:01
    Red Hot Pawn is an online community within which there are private clans and clubs or families with shared interests and priorities.
    “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” ―Leo Tolstoy (Anna Karenina) Are you happy?
  14. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    14 Feb '16 15:15
    Earlier, I sent this message to robbie carrobie - and it's for GHOST HUNTER as well - on Thread 166701 on the General Forum.

I do not want any posts removed; I'd prefer that this kind of stuff remains in their posting record for others to see.

But I would be interested in the web site's view on whether I have said the right thing in the light of your child protection policy. Furthermore, I would like all this to be aired in public and not in private.

Originally posted by GHOST HUNTER
    i have no doubt the creep FMF pretended to be a girl on here, a place where kids play, motives to me are very sinister...

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Just answer the question in your guise as a women do you think it conceivable that you may have duped any minors because the site allows anyone over the age of thirteen to join.

Originally posted by GHOST HUNTER
    why did FMF come on here and pretend to be a girl knowing there is possibly 13 year olds playing. thats beyond creepy.hope to get some web cam action bloody pervert

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You may even have duped minors, we simply don't know. How can you be trusted?

If you genuinely believe that anyone ~ including me ~ is posing (or has posed) any kind of danger to minors who are members of this site, you should report it immediately to RHP's admin or moderators.

It's very important that you, robbie (or whoever you are in real life) do exactly the right thing now regarding allegations or suspicions of child abuse and not make light of it or use insinuations as message board banter.

I strongly recommend that you ~ and GHOST HUNTER ~ let the web site know the reasons for your suspicions.

This would demonstrate that you recognize this to be a deadly serious issue affecting the real lives of children and that you are able to act responsibly when you think something is going on that might be a threat to children's welfare.
  15. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    22 Feb '16 12:21 / 1 edit
    Any news, Drew? Either from you or from site admin or the alleged minor or the alleged minor's ostensible guardian?

I have heard of 12-yr olds who could whup most of us RHP-lers OTB and I see no reason to bar them from playing here. (Possibly some sort of oversight or supervision is in order.)

Realistically, this is a pretty tame site and I rather doubt that cyber-pedophiles are casing RHP as a probable/possible hunting ground.