1. Joined
    27 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 20:12
    Hi Guys,

This is my first forum post having been a member on the site for a few years now. I checked the last few pages of posts and didn't see this topic mentioned so I thought i'd raise it - apologies if it has come up before and has been discussed to death!

I would like to raise the issue of people claiming timeout wins without sending reminder emails. I know some people state in their profile that they take timeout wins without hesitation, but I don't believe it's good sportsmanship to do so.

Several times now I have been playing games and sent a reminder email when my oppositions timebank has been used up, despite me being able to claim a timeout win at the time. When my timebank has been depleted however, my opponent has simply claimed the win without sending me a reminder email.

Is it possible to implement a rule where it is impossible to claim a timeout win unless one reminder email has been sent? Ie not displaying the skull until the email button has been clicked?

I look forward to reading peoples thoughts.

Cheers

Phil.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 20:38
    Originally posted by Philly G
    Hi Guys,

This is my first forum post having been a member on the site for a few years now. I checked the last few pages of posts and didn't see this topic mentioned so I thought i'd raise it - apologies if it has come up before and has been discussed to death!

I would like to raise the issue of people claiming timeout wins without sending reminder em ...[text shortened]... l button has been clicked?

Cheers

Phil.
    Thanx for posting an idea, but it's really not a good idea IMHO.

You alone are responsible for your clock. The reminder is only an option. Casual games with friends you will often get one, I will send one. I also really don't skull games unless I feel I've got it pretty won, or it's an important game like clan or tourney.

Remember, it's up to you to pick the right time controls for games and to keep an eye on your own clock.

P-
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Jun '09 21:372 edits
    Hi Guys,

I would like to raise the issue of people claiming timeout wins without sending reminder em l button has been clicked?

Cheers

Phil.
    If I was playing you in person and your flag fell/ time ran out, I would call you on it, the game would be over and I win. I would expect the same if the shoe was on the other foot so to speak.

It would be like telling someone in an over the board game, look I don't think you are managing your time very well, you best make your move now, or you are going to run out of time. ( This would not happen of course) It also would be considered bad sportsmanship.

I use to send the reminder when I was new to the site, untill I got a few rather nasty notes back, telling me what I could do with my reminders in no uncertain terms. So that kind of stopped that in a hurry. I will however still send them if I am playing someone I have played many times who usually does not have time trouble.

I would have to agree with Phlabby (Phlabibit) on this, you have to look after your own time, and not expect others to do it for you.

Don't be shy to post. People aren't half as bad as it sometimes looks in the forums. With most posters their bark is worst than their bite, with the exception of Phlabby. 😉
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 00:58
    Hi Guys,

I would like to raise the issue of people claiming timeout wins without sending reminder em ...[text shortened]... l button has been clicked?

Cheers

Phil.
    It's a very bad idea. Thank you for sharing it. You are more than welcome to continue sending out email reminders. I suggest that you keep your own time allowances in mind as you play.
  5. Joined
    27 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 01:051 edit
    Thanks for your thoughts! Perhaps I am just too nice and a little naive in thinking everyone will do the same as me. I know managing the time settings on a game is the ideal option, unfortunately for me personally its not always possible to get on the internet 24/7 so there are time when I have to go 2 or 3 days without playing a game.

Edit: Also I might find my attitude changes if/when I actually get any good at the game! At the moment i'm playing purely for fun, but as I get better I guess I will get more competitive and will be more careful with my game settings.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 01:09
    Thanks for your thoughts! Perhaps I am just too nice and a little naive in thinking everyone will do the same as me. I know managing the time settings on a game is the ideal option, unfortunately for me personally its not always possible to get on the internet 24/7 so there are time when I have to go 2 or 3 days without playing a game. Nevermind.
    Perhaps something like a 3 day per move then 7 or 14 day timebank would be good time limits for you. Then if you couldn't move for 2 or 3 days you would still be good, and not have to worry about timing out in your games.

Just a friendly suggestion. 🙂
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '09 04:59
    I never read reminders, I never remind, and I always skull. (Rare exceptions...) And sometimes I get skulled, of course.
    I'm honest about it, it says so in my profile. Noone should be surprised.

If such a rule (remind first, then skull) I would do that with less of a seconds in between.
    Or do you mean there should be a certain interval in between? Yes, and there is!
    In a 3/7 thinking time game, you have to think max 3 days of every move. After that you have a mercy period of 7 days. If you haven't made your move before this time have elapsed, then you very well should be skulled out.

If you cannot handle the agreed thinking times, then you deserve no reminders... (No offence given)
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 15:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I never read reminders, I never remind, and I always skull. (Rare exceptions...) And sometimes I get skulled, of course.
    I'm honest about it, it says so in my profile. Noone should be surprised.

If such a rule (remind first, then skull) I would do that with less of a seconds in between.
    Or do you mean there should be a certain interval in between? Y ...[text shortened]... u cannot handle the agreed thinking times, then you deserve no reminders... (No offence given)
    YOU MONSTER!~

😉

I'm more casual with my chess, but there shouldn't be a rule forcing reminders as I've stated.

Reminders are an option, skulls are also. I've shut off receiving them. My times (7/14 most often) is enough for me to slack off when I want and avoid being timed out.

P-
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 00:111 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    YOU MONSTER!~

😉

I'm more casual with my chess, but there shouldn't be a rule forcing reminders as I've stated.

Reminders are an option, skulls are also. I've shut off receiving them. My times (7/14 most often) is enough for me to slack off when I want and avoid being timed out.

P-
    Hi Dr Phlabibit

How do I shut of move reminder Emails please? They are irritating indeed!

Many thanks,
    Your humble servant
    Paul
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 00:34
    Originally posted by PRW
    Hi Dr Phlabibit

How do I shut of move reminder Emails please? They are irritating indeed!

Many thanks,
    Your humble servant
    Paul
    my settings - my email settings.......duh.

you really shouldn't worship el phlabibito, it's having a serious affected on how your brain is functioning 😛
  11. Joined
    29 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '09 23:04
    Heh, I guess some of us are just too nice. I always send move reminders and usually give people about a week after a timeout, before I declare the timeout win (unless I have clearly already won). I also appreciate the people who extend the same courtesy, but I've learned not to expect it, and I've also learned not to allow myself to get in the situation where I've used up my time bank.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 00:37
    It depends on what you're used to. If you're a casual player only [not that there's anything wrong with that], then you probably aren't in favor of rigidly enforcing time limits. If you're a more serious player, you are. As a member of the latter group, let me just say that I claim skulls immediately, and this not out of sheer malice, but rather because I come from a chess environment where this is the norm.
  13. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 23:33
    Hi Guys,

Cheers

Phil.
    Dry your eyes, time runs out then skull them that includes skulling you without a reminder 😛
  14. Joined
    27 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 17:03
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It depends on what you're used to. If you're a casual player only [not that there's anything wrong with that], then you probably aren't in favor of rigidly enforcing time limits. If you're a more serious player, you are. As a member of the latter group, let me just say that I claim skulls immediately, and this not out of sheer malice, but rather because I come from a chess environment where this is the norm.
    I think thats the main difference! I have noticed there seems to be a clear divide between the serious chess players and the people who are here just for fun. I'm one of the latter so I guess I find it a bit odd when a great game is being played and all of a sudden it's ended because I'm one minute over my time limit.
  15. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 10:05
    In a casual game it seems normal to skull only when an opponent remains irresponsive.

Tournaments is something completely different. Sportsmanship there means to me going for the best RESULT in every single game. That's what's fair towards the other competitors.
    And time management is just a part of competitive chess. Everyone is responsible for their own clock. I mean, taking a skull is then 'punishing' one who failed on that part... and who committed to a game pace which he isn't respecting.

BTW I only play tournament games, as the competition factor triggers my commitment, and thus makes me play better. Having the feeling I get good games is what I enjoy here.
    I enjoy all games, also the 'easy' ones, also the lost ones. Ending one with a skull leaves me cold, there's plenty to move on to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree