1. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 21:21
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    Timeout/timebank will deplete even if you are on vacation. Being on vacation only keeps your
    opponent from claiming timeout victory. If you come off vacation and have no timebank then
    your opponent can claim victory immediately.

Interesting, though -- when I looked at two of your timeout losses (Game 6584843 and
    Game 6584844) i ...[text shortened]... e explain this? Maybe a bug?

edit: posted query in help forum Thread 118301
    Seems it's simply a bug with the "game info" data and timebank had in fact expired.
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 21:21
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    Timeout/timebank will deplete even if you are on vacation. Being on vacation only keeps your
    opponent from claiming timeout victory. If you come off vacation and have no timebank then
    your opponent can claim victory immediately.

Interesting, though -- when I looked at two of your timeout losses (Game 6584843 and
    Game 6584844) i ...[text shortened]... e explain this? Maybe a bug?

edit: posted query in help forum Thread 118301
    Once a game is over the time information against the game is false.
    This has been raised before.
  3. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 20:181 edit
    Originally posted by qyf

a) Taking a vacation requires playing a sealed move (stops play during vacation)
    b) Taking a vacation removes time restrictions on both players (gives slight advantage to non-vacationing player and completely changes the nature of a timed game)
    The idea is not bad. "B" would suit me as much as any other system. Games could progress for those who feel in the mood, but would not have to. It would even remove issues with 0/X games (i.e. only timebank.)

You said:Seems like I don't have much (any?) support - fair enough. To wrap things up I'll provide the background on why I started thinking about this:

I am not so certain it is that. Maybe just that vacation is just one of those things which keeps being suggested for tweaks, usually when something has annoyed enough people.

e.g.
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=117688
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=113139
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=113072
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=112993&page=3#post_2120189

So there are a whole bunch of ideas out there, but no real direction. The whole timebank/vacation seems to be a can of worms. People have expectations which come from other sites, and complain here because they do not know how the system works. You were unlucky. You got caught-out. I actually think your idea is quite good, but given that vacation+timebank is so complicated already, I am not sure it will be implemented.

What I like most about "B" is that, provided an indication is given of when you return, there is very little disadvantage to a non-sub. Yes a game slot is used, but otherwise time is stopped for both players - c.f. fire in the building, everyone leaves the tourney hall, then come back and carry on ... The only advantage a sub gets is being able to sound the fire alarm. (Dr. S, would you count this one as equitable enough?)

See what you think of the other threads, and see if anything triggers a better idea again. Most of the rest of us are probably idea'd out.

edit: had to snip the quoted post to get the ideas back in....
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 10:15
    Originally posted by gezza
    ..... time is stopped for both players - c.f. fire in the building, everyone leaves the tourney hall, then come back and carry on ... The only advantage a sub gets is being able to sound the fire alarm. (Dr. S, would you count this one as equitable enough?)

That's the fairest suggestion I've heard so far. 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree