1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 22:022 edits
    Originally posted by venda
    If you abolish promotion/relegation I think you take away what, for many, is the main attraction of the leagues.
    I don't see the attraction. Promotion/relegation is a bad idea for several reasons:

The teams can change members (some, or even all) from season to season.
    A very strong team should not start in the lowest division. This means boring games for them, and mismatches for their opponents. And everyone knows who will take first before the season starts. It's Lose-Lose.
    A team that has become weak through personnel changes should not remain in the highest division. The replacement players did nothing to earn the placing and can't play competitively at that level anyway. So, they will spend the next few seasons getting bludgeoned down to their proper division, unless they do the sensible thing and quit the team.

Regardless of who may like prom/rel, I think many more would like a league system without it.
  2. Here
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 19:55
    If you abolish promotion/relegation I think you take away what, for many, is the main attraction of the leagues.
    Also, while we are on the subject ,what happens at the moment with promotion/relegation if two teams finish in equal 2nd or 5th place in the league?
    Why not have a superbowl where all the top teams in each Div play for the title
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 22:52
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I don't see the attraction. Promotion/relegation is a bad idea for several reasons:

The teams can change members (some, or even all) from season to season.
    A very strong team should not start in the lowest division. This means boring games for them, and mismatches for their opponents. And everyone knows who will take first before the season starts. I ...[text shortened]... ess of who may like prom/rel, I think many more would like a league system without it.
    All of your arguments are reflected in the Football leagues in the UK where personnel changes not only occur each season but frequently during the season.
    I am a rugby league supporter where a franchise system has replaced promotion/relegation but that doesn't apply here.
    I agree that the current league set up is not perfect.
    I also think (as you touched upon in your arguments) that the optional participation of clans per season makes promotion and relegation somewhat meaningless.
    Despite all of this I still think that promotion and relegation adds incentive and interest.
    My clan are currently top of a division in the 3:7 league and I must confess , I get a "buzz" out of that.
    If there was no reward at the end of the season -then what would it matter where we finished?
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 22:17
    All of your arguments are reflected in the Football leagues in the UK where personnel changes not only occur each season but frequently during the season.
    I am a rugby league supporter where a franchise system has replaced promotion/relegation but that doesn't apply here.
    I agree that the current league set up is not perfect.
    I also think (as you touched up ...[text shortened]... If there was no reward at the end of the season -then what would it matter where we finished?
    I would think taking 1st in a Division is its own reward.
  5. Here
    Moves
    15 Sep '12 18:11
    I do not think that the new format has worked
    It's just the old league with less players
    In stead of having 1,3,7,and 14 day leagues why not have banded leagues based on the average of the team
    1000 - 1200 ,1200 - 1400 etc
    I am sure this would attract more players

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree