1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '14 07:43
    Some clan have a leader who would like to hand the lead role off to another.
    It's easy to create a new clan.
    Why not temporarily ban the formation of new clans and just begin a registry of clans that are available for new leadership?

Some member who might be interested in leading a clan could go to the available listing of clans and request to serve as their leader.

It's just a thought.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Nov '14 15:49
    Originally posted by coquette
    Why not temporarily ban the formation of new clans and just begin a registry of clans that are available for new leadership?

Some member who might be interested in leading a clan could go to the available listing of clans and request to serve as their leader.

It's just a thought.
    The best way to discourage new members from doing things like forming clans is by making it harder to do than it should be.

Rather than ban formation of new clans, I say:

Make it possible to abdicate leadership, even if you are the only member left. At that point, any subscriber could claim leadership.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '14 21:26
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The best way to discourage new members from doing things like forming clans is by making it harder to do than it should be.

Rather than ban formation of new clans, I say:

Make it possible to abdicate leadership, even if you are the only member left. At that point, any subscriber could claim leadership.
    total abdication is possible through sending feedback. the clan still exists in the record, but it is just inactive. it's all the same. all i am suggesting is that there are even active clans where no one wants to lead, and yet others are going out and starting new clans, which is a lot of real work to build up a reasonable playing membership. it's just so easy - you want a clan - here they are - go put yourself up for leadership. if no member wants it, you can have it.

it could be fancier. there could be an application. maybe the entire membership would have to approve, or maybe just a super majority, but who cares? anything's better than clan leaders stuck with clans that they don't really want to lead and clans that are active having no real leadership.

it's just my 2 cents.
  4. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 16:22
    Clans are not working. Here's my suggestion to improve clubs so that they are better and more active than clans.
    My club (Maybe Masters ?) has 52 members including 17 non subs. The average club rating is 2120 so we are all pretty good players and active. We do not play many games at a time because all our games are hard. Clubs are second class citizens because 1.Tournaments are set at a minimum of 8 players and 2 games each. WHY? They are hard to fill because of members’ game loads, why not 4 man tournaments? We would like to have tournaments with only 1 game each. 2. Clubs should be able to challenge other clubs like clans do. 3. Where is the club league? Clans have one. 4. I would like to run a non-sub tourney with a prize of paid membership to encourage the non-subs to become members. 5. Non-subs should be allowed to enter club tournaments within the 6 game limit. None of these changes should be hard for the software. Please comment.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 18:52
    Originally posted by pikejohn
    Clans are not working. Here's my suggestion to improve clubs so that they are better and more active than clans.
    My club (Maybe Masters ?) has 52 members including 17 non subs. The average club rating is 2120 so we are all pretty good players and active. We do not play many games at a time because all our games are hard. Clubs are second class citizens bec ...[text shortened]... within the 6 game limit. None of these changes should be hard for the software. Please comment.
    clans are working fine
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 22:27

It's just a thought.
    some people rather create their own clan and start a fresh page but i agree it might be easier to make it more difficult to create a new clan
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 17:03
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    some people rather create their own clan and start a fresh page but i agree it might be easier to make it more difficult to create a new clan
    To make it difficult to create a new clan would need a software change.
    Perhaps something like when someone creates a new clan it doesn't become "live" until at least 4 ACTIVE people have joined.
    This measure would upset people who create a clan so they can create clan challenges just for themselves as opposed to looking for open invites.
    Ok -create a separate clan list for 1 person clans
    At the same time a change could be implimented to delete clans that haven't been active ,1 man or otherwise,for a certain period -say 100 days.
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    11 Nov '14 04:25
    Originally posted by venda
    To make it difficult to create a new clan would need a software change.
    Perhaps something like when someone creates a new clan it doesn't become "live" until at least 4 ACTIVE people have joined.
    This measure would upset people who create a clan so they can create clan challenges just for themselves as opposed to looking for open invites.
    Ok -create a separ ...[text shortened]... to delete clans that haven't been active ,1 man or otherwise,for a certain period -say 100 days.
    those are appropriate suggestions in line with my original intent. thank you.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Nov '14 07:47
    Deleting clans would run into the problem of deleting clan games. More precisely, unused clans could have all their existing members removed, along with all the point scores. Clan games would stay in the games database.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Nov '14 03:251 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Deleting clans would run into the problem of deleting clan games. More precisely, unused clans could have all their existing members removed, along with all the point scores. Clan games would stay in the games database.
    Eh, if Russ isn't bitching about the server space, I fail to see why any of us should.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 01:12
    total abdication is possible through sending feedback. the clan still exists in the record, but it is just inactive. it's all the same. all i am suggesting is that there are even active clans where no one wants to lead, and yet others are going out and starting new clans, which is a lot of real work to build up a reasonable playing membership. it's just so ...[text shortened]... eally want to lead and clans that are active having no real leadership.

it's just my 2 cents.
    I agree with coquette. But I'd take this a step further and allow people to not only take over an old abandoned clan, but make it easier for people to abandon clans. There are a lot of people with one member clans because there's no automated way to abandon a clan. If there was an "abandoned clan" database, then it could be easier to not only choose an abandoned clan to run but to also add your clan to the list by kicking everyone and then kick yourself out.

A problem I see would be the clan forum. I don't believe messages are ever really, truly "deleted", just made hidden by the clan leader. Older clans with a lot of baggage in the clan forum might not want some random person to see their clan forum history. If there was an "abandon this clan" button, there would have to be a way to absolutely delete all messages from the old clan's forum before abandoning the clan. And I don't know if this is possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree