1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 10:52
    When looking at any page or list of names or anything with multiple date displayed in columns, the top row identifies whatever data is displayed in each column.

When you scroll down any long page, that top identifying row moves off of the page along with the data rows, instead of staying frozen at the top. So the result is that the column identification vanishes from view as soon as you start to scroll.

This would be much more useful if the top row stayed frozen at the top of the page, and only the date below that top row were moved up or down the page as you scroll the page.

Does my description of the problem make sense?
    (By the way, this is not a new problem with the beta, this has been like this for a long time. I think I brought this up in the 'site ideas' forum in the past.)
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 10:581 edit
    I have noticed this is now more of an issue since you can now "infinite scroll", leaving the column headers way behind too.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 11:17
    @Russ
    Is there an option to not 'infinite scroll', but keep the pages of data that we currently have?

If you are interested in going back through the forum to look at posts or threads from several years ago, It may take forever now.

For example, the general forum currently is over 1500 pages, and will take us back to 8 August, 2001, with 30 threads per page.

So using infinite scroll, it will take a very long time to get back to the first page of any forum.

Perhaps there could be an option to go back one year at a time, or maybe one month at a time. Or an option to type in a specific date and get there directly?
    Probably not reasonable for this beta implementation, but still something to think about for a future update.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 11:20
    @mwmiller said
    @Russ
    Is there an option to not 'infinite scroll', but keep the pages of data that we currently have?

If you are interested in going back through the forum to look at posts or threads from several years ago, It may take forever now.

For example, the general forum currently is over 1500 pages, and will take us back to 8 August, 2001, with 30 threads per page.

...[text shortened]... not reasonable for this beta implementation, but still something to think about for a future update.
    One alternative, see the new blogs navigation update - a similar option could be possible for nearly all tables (but from a drop down menu)
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 11:21
    @shannon said
    When viewing my games in Card view all of the game boards show white on the bottom. Unsure if this was an intentional change, but previously it showed whatever colour I played as on the bottom.
    Now fixed.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 11:39
    @Russ said
    One alternative, see the new blogs navigation update - a similar option could be possible for nearly all tables (but from a drop down menu)
    Yes, that does look like a very good option!
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 11:463 edits
    @Russ

Hi Russ,

First off, good work. I appreciate what a huge amount of coding goes into a major update like this.

1. Private messaging works well on the new UI on a large monitor, tolerably well on a tablet, but is nearly unusable on a small-screened cell phone (in a browser). More beta testing to come for some future rollout, I presume. Until then, the smartphone app works well.

2. My Games in the old version featured 4 different view formats; the beta version features only 2 view formats. Alas, the one view format I liked best previously (list), was not carried over to beta. Could we have list view again please?

3. Thanks so much for board coordinates for FENs and PGNs inserted into threads. And especially for the flip-orientation switch.

4. The FEN generator allows only legal positions. Can you get it to allow illegal positions? This is sometimes useful for teaching purposes and puzzle solving.

5. My Games, Analysis: on a tablet, the move list and PGN are now a separate pane (accessed by the blue link field bottom left). When this separate pane is active, I can see the moves I plan to make listed, but playing through them, back and forth, is obscured so I can't see the pieces moving on the virtual board; when I close the separate move-pane, there is no longer a button on the virtual board pane to play through the stored moves. This was better in the previous version. Could we have PLAY and STEP-THRU buttons under the virtual board please?

More to follow. Keep up the good work.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 12:523 edits
    @shannon

Regarding persisting view options

This has been fixed (for My Games and Player directory only so far)

BUT you will probably need to clear your site cookies for this to work.

If you don't know how to remove cookies for one web site in your browser, you can do the following right from the RHP beta web site.

Click your profile/avatar icon to see the My Account Menu.

Click the 'My Settings' tab

Select 'Cookie Settings' option.

Click 'Remove all Cookies'.

9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 13:03
    @moonbus said
    2. My Games in the old version featured 4 different view formats; the beta version features only 2 view formats. Alas, the one view format I liked best previously (list), was not carried over to beta. Could we have list view again please?
    I assume you mean the expanded view with no board displayed?

This can return if wanted.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 13:05
    @divegeester said

- when I go to a game everything (key stuff) doesn’t quite fit on the page (I mean the screen) whereas previously the board and key info all does ~ perhaps this is just auto size setting? I like to be presented with a full board and the key info all there without moving the screen around. Especially the full board.
    There is definitely an issue with the board sizing right now, causing this. To be addressed.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 13:12
    @divegeester said
    - rendering of “my home” text position and icon size isn’t same as others
    Not clear on this one - more details please?
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 13:13
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Nothing will be ignored, so please keep posting your comments.
  13. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 13:51
    When going to My Home/My Performance page, you get a full list of all of your opponents, but that list does not sort correctly. If you select 'ALL' the list does not sort in alphabetical order. It appears like it tries to, but it is not a consistent list of opponents from A to Z. It is presented in 'clusters' but is not linear.

The other list sorting filters do not appear to work correctly either.
    As already mentioned, this list would also be much better to view if the column header would stay at the top of the page instead of scrolling off of the page.

I hope this description is understandable. 🙂
  14. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 14:191 edit
    If I go to the games list there is a prominent infro about when the game has been created. I seldom use hat infromation at all. And it took my some time to identfy the meaning (having not looked properly, but just reading the elapsed time).

This is the case if you look at the "card mode". Actually I found that after my move I was in acrd mode, even though I was in compact befire the move...
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 14:32
    @russ said
    I assume you mean the expanded view with no board displayed?

This can return if wanted.
    Yes, and yes please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree