1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '04 15:42
    RHP in my Florida computer draws pages almost instantly. The analysis board is quick also. Since I came back to New Jersey, my computer here seems a lot slower. On the analysis board, I have to watch pieces disappearing, reappearing, sloooowly redrawning to the next move. I'm wondering if this is purely a function of processor speed. I've looked into getting another cpu, but I'd also have to get another motherboard. So, all you computer geeks out there, do you think if i upgraded my New Jersey computer it would solve slow page redrawing problems. If I only had a few games going it wouldn't matter, but with around fifty, the slow movement is driving me nuts!
  2. Standard memberSirUlrich
    Love gave me wings
    Turfed Out
    Moves
    16 Dec '04 15:441 edit
    Originally posted by buddy2
    RHP in my Florida computer draws pages almost instantly. The analysis board is quick also. Since I came back to New Jersey, my computer here seems a lot slower. On the analysis board, I have to watch pieces disappearing, reappearing, sloo ...[text shortened]... tter, but with around fifty, the slow movement is driving me nuts!
    Try playing only 1 or 3 day T/Os, see if this cures the problem
    :-)
  3. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    16 Dec '04 15:58
    1) What Operating System are you using?
    2) What processor do you have?
    3) What browser are you using?

No computer built in the last five or ten years should really be having a problem with the requirements of the RHP web site. If yours does, I'd suggest

a) checking it thoroughly for spyware/malware.
    b) if your answer to (3) was MSIE then run (don't walk) and use firefox instead.
    c) drastic course of action ... backup everything you need and do a fresh install of *everything*. O/S, all software ... and then see how it performs.
  4. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    16 Dec '04 16:47
    RHP in my Florida computer draws pages almost instantly. The analysis board is quick also. Since I came back to New Jersey, my computer here seems a lot slower. On the analysis board, I have to watch pieces disappearing, reappearing, sloooowly redrawning to the next move. I'm wondering if this is purely a function of processor speed. I've looked into g ...[text shortened]... ew games going it wouldn't matter, but with around fifty, the slow movement is driving me nuts!
    Try a sweep for spyware by running adaware or spyBot search and destroy. (do google search for them..both free)

check for viruses.. (theres some free virus checkers out there)

Open up taskmanager and see how much memory u have free.

Try to shutdown some programs you may have running that aren't needed, i.e some in the system tray (bottom right beside the time)

If that doesn't work u might just need an upgrade.

Hope this helps!
  5. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '04 21:17
    Tried getting rid of spy junk, but it didn't help speed on RHP. I now have a 1.6 gig AMD running xp with internet explorer. Anybody else around with equivalent speed cpu have to wait for analysis board to redraw slowly with every move?? It's much quicker on my other computer in Florida. I fear i'll have to upgrade to another cpu and motherboard to get this thing snapping. Thanks for all the help, tho.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Dec '04 23:39
    Tried getting rid of spy junk, but it didn't help speed on RHP. I now have a 1.6 gig AMD running xp with internet explorer. Anybody else around with equivalent speed cpu have to wait for analysis board to redraw slowly with every move?? It's much quicker on my other computer in Florida. I fear i'll have to upgrade to another cpu and motherboard to get this thing snapping. Thanks for all the help, tho.
    A new mb and cpu won't help 1 iota.

Dunno exactly what ur problem is. Look at your processes and sort them firstly by memory usage and secondly by cpu usage. See if something is using up all your memory/cpu.

Don't bother wasting money on a mb cpu if you're just buying them to fix this, as I guarantee u it won't help.

D
  7. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '04 23:40
    I would imagine that the screen drawing speed is less to do with the PC and more to do with your Internet connection speed - what connection do you have in Florida and what in New Jersey? I would imagine one is faster than the other.
  8. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    17 Dec '04 00:54
    Exy, I have Comcast (cable) in both locations. I checked the exact speed on the New Jersey (now) and it's 3.2 Mb/sec. Described as "awsome." That means I can download a 1 Mb file in 2.6 seconds. I'm not sure what the one in Florida is because I'm not there now. I gave up on dialup a long time ago because it was so slow. What do you mean increasing the processor speed wouldn't allow the processor to redraw the page faster. Isn't that what they do?
  9. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    17 Dec '04 01:01
    I'd say when I use the navigation red triangles to go back one move on the analysis board, it takes 6-8 seconds. Is it this slow with anyone else? Am I the only one with this problem. I can't see anybody using RHP with dial up, it's so slow. When I used to use Gameknot, it was quite fast, not like this. Maybe it's the code, who knows?
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Dec '04 01:11
    I'd say when I use the navigation red triangles to go back one move on the analysis board, it takes 6-8 seconds. Is it this slow with anyone else? Am I the only one with this problem. I can't see anybody using RHP with dial up, it's so slow. When I used to use Gameknot, it was quite fast, not like this. Maybe it's the code, who knows?
    There's nothing wrong with your hardware. I reckon u have a process (virus/adware/spyware) running that is using up all your system resources (processor/memory) and that's why things are soooo slow.

Nothing to do with your connection either as the images are cached locally after the first screen load.

D
  11. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    17 Dec '04 14:19
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    There's nothing wrong with your hardware. I reckon u have a process (virus/adware/spyware) running that is using up all your system resources (processor/memory) and that's why things are soooo slow.

Nothing to do with your connection either as the images are cached locally after the first screen load.

D
    I agree with Ragnorak. This sounds like some memory hogging processes running in the background to me. Probably spyware and adware. I'd also be concerned about someone else having access to your pc's when you're away. Is it possible someone has installed some programs on your slower "Jersey" pc without your knowledge? They don't have to be malicious programs to slow down your pc.

RHP is fine for me. I have a DSL connection and it's as fast as ever. I have 2 desktops and a laptop at home, plus my pc here at work. The fastest is a 1.5g AMD HP. All my pc's access and operate on RHP at close to the same speeds. I think we can rule out RHP code as the culprit.

I would pick the simplest and most likely culprit first. That would be RAM hogs running in your pc's background. Some processes may be perfectly legit, some may not.

You could try some other sites that use Javascript or some form of interactivity with the user. See if they're slow also. What about Word, Excel, Outlook, etc, are they also operating slower than normal?

12. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    17 Dec '04 22:032 edits
    A bit rough but I use to look into the registry from time to time in order to find out which programs run at startup. You can easily corrupt your PC that way if you don't know what you are doing. You should at least make a copy of the Registry Key before you do what I'm telling you now:

- In XP click on Start > Run... > type in 'regedit'
    - right click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > search...
    - check-box 'keys' only and type in 'runonce' > search
    - This will take you to the runonce key. There is a key called 'Run' above that key > left click on the 'Run'-key to see what programs are triggered at startup
    - Right click on Run > Export - to save that portion of the registry to a file (That's your backup I was talking about)
    - Now check carefully if the values in the Run-key point to some suspecious files.
    - Remove a suspecious value and restart your PC
    - You can always get your original keys back if you double-click on your backup file (.reg)

Good luck. All at your own risk, of course ;-)

Gotti

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree