1. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 23:09
    Hi Russ,

When you get round to fixing the UI for conditionals how about adding a 'library' facility.
    This would allow a user to build up a conditional set of rules that could be 'parked' ready to apply en-masse to a given game (I'm thinking here of creating multiple "libraries" for a different openings mostly).
    If you get the set up right, you could use this for the themed tournaments (a library for white and a library for black until the agreed point) and then everyone could have fully working PGNs that don't have to be edited (You could 'lock' these games until the library had run its course so the openings don't get mucked up by the 'eager'😉.

It would be really nice if you could create library (all the white moves for example) from an existing game (finishing at a pre-determined point). It would then be possible to create rated 'set-piece' games that actually start from move 1 but play through all the moves "automagically" until the agreed point (both players would have to set the game to be just so).

Another requested feature would be a timed response. Instead of the current timing before a conditional kicks in, allow the user to stipulate a time to wait before the conditional should be played. If I'm going to be away for a while, but I've put in the time to think carefully about my moves, then why make what looks like an "instant" response? Maybe this time could be expressed as a percentage of timeout?
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 08:42
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Hi Russ,

When you get round to fixing the UI for conditionals how about adding a 'library' facility.
    This would allow a user to build up a conditional set of rules that could be 'parked' ready to apply en-masse to a given game (I'm thinking here of creating multiple "libraries" for a different openings mostly).
    If you get the set up right, you could u ...[text shortened]... t" response? Maybe this time could be expressed as a percentage of timeout?
    "library facility" - feasible, if people want it. Definitely one for a phase 2 of conditional moves though.

"timed response." - again, feasible, and I can foresee no issues putting this in right away *if* people want it.

I have bookmarked this thread, and I'll post comments to it later as the work gets underway. (And yes, I know the 30 days I promised to deliver in is vanishing fast! )
  3. Gold Coast
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:35
    "timed responses" - I would like this also. Timing your moves can be strategic in a game and it is a shame to lose this control when using conditionals.

"library facility" - I would probably use it but don't really need this one.

The thing I really want is to vary the condition of the conditional-move. It currently matches the whole board to find a move where I would like to let it match fewer squares so that my conditional-move can work for more postions.

E.g. if the oponent only has a king left but is stalling for a timeout win then I would like to be able to queue a move/moves that will trigger regardless what move the oponent makes.

You obviously can't pre-validate these kind of conditional moves but if a conditional-move turns out to be unplayable then fall back to waitng for a normal move.
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 22:00
    bump
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 18:571 edit
    Would be nice if there was an easier way to change conditional moves after they've been entered.

For example, I set up some conditional moves, log off, and later realize that the 5th move in my conditional sequence is a blunder.

As it stands, one has to delete the old conditional, remember that position and set it up again manually, then enter the new conditional.

Proposal: Clicking on any position in the conditional move queue transfers it to the main board. From there, one can record a new conditional move, overwriting the old one.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 16:484 edits
    A (major) enhancement will be made available tomorrow for playing conditional openings.

You will be able to select your opening, and all your conditional moves will be created for that line. (And if your opponent chooses the same, the game will play itself until the opening is complete.)
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:00
    Originally posted by Russ
    A (major) enhancement will be made available tomorrow for playing conditional openings.

You will be able to select your opening, and all your conditional moves will be created for that line. (And if your opponent chooses the same, the game will play itself until the opening is complete.)
    Suh-weet.

D
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:02

Good feature, if it is optional.

I don't want to play a specific opening to some specific opponents when I know that they can handle that specific opening better than I do.

I would like to have global opening repertoir that I can use for general purposes, but turn off with for specific games.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Good feature, if it is optional.

I don't want to play a specific opening to some specific opponents when I know that they can handle that specific opening better than I do.

I would like to have global opening repertoir that I can use for general purposes, but turn off with for specific games.
    It works in the same way as current conditionals, but rather than entering a line via the interface, you just choose an opening.

Therefore, you choose on a game by game basis.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 17:39
    It works in the same way as current conditionals, but rather than entering a line via the interface, you just choose an opening.

Therefore, you choose on a game by game basis.
    Ah, good. Thanks Russ.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 12:02
    This is now live.

Use the "Play from opening" on the conditional moves page.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 12:11
    This is now live.

Use the "Play from opening" on the conditional moves page.
    Awsome! 🙂
  13. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 00:31
    If ANY . . . . then . . .

How about an "IF ANY" selection option. It's a dangerous button, but sometimes I just don't care what my opponent is going to do because I'm marching my pawn down for a Queen and winning anyway.

I have one of these going on right now. It would be a nice enhancement to the conditional move feature, which is totally GREAT!
  14. Gold Coast
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 04:28
    Originally posted by coquette
    If ANY . . . . then . . .
    Alternatively the test to trigger a conditional move could be "if selected squares match". The current implementation checks all 64 squares. "If ANY" is just checking 0 squares.

That way you can set up all kinds of conditions for moves just by selecting the squares that you want the server to check and the sate that they should be in, e.g. empty or with some piece.

Maybe the UI for that would be too tough but I would have thought you could use the current interface, with a checkbox to "only check selected squares", then click the squares or range of squares that should be checked prior to making the move. When you review a condition you see the board with non-checked squares greyed out. "If ANY..." would be an all greyed out board.

There would be cases where triggered moves would be illegal but they simply would not be played.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree