1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    887926
    30 Dec '08 17:15
    Sorry if this has been suggested, but if so, I missed it. How about an "if any" option?

    I'm in a game where no matter what the other player does, I know what I am going to do next. Why not have an "if any" option? I realize that it might be a little buggy to program, but I think that it would be an enhancement.

    I wait now for someone (no name) to explain why it won't be of any use.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    30 Dec '08 17:301 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    Sorry if this has been suggested, but if so, I missed it. How about an "if any" option?

    I'm in a game where no matter what the other player does, I know what I am going to do next. Why not have an "if any" option? I realize that it might be a little buggy to program, but I think that it would be an enhancement.

    I wait now for someone (no name) to explain why it won't be of any use.
    Examples:

    Regardless of what the other player does, I'm going to castle.

    If for some reason I can't castle, I'll need to make another move.

    Regardless of what the other player does, I'm going to push my e pawn.

    If for some reason I can't push my e pawn, I'll need to make another move.

    Regardless of what the other player does, I'm going to move my Bishop to g7.

    If for some reason I lose my Queen, that's my problem.

    This would be a 'use with care' option, for sure.

    P-
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    30 Dec '08 17:46
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Regardless of what the other player does, I'm going to move my Bishop to g7.
    1.d4 g6

    If any, 2...Bg7.

    2.Bh6!! Bg7 3.Bxg7 1-0

    An infamous case of blanket "if" moves gone wrong.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    30 Dec '08 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1.d4 g6

    If any, 2...Bg7.

    2.Bh6!! Bg7 3.Bxg7 1-0

    An infamous case of blanket "if" moves gone wrong.
    Why would anyone move the bishop to Bh6? You're opponant doesn't know if you've entered an 'if any' move. Even if they moved this way in 100 games you don't know if they've used this feature.

    That is a gamble on the part of white more than black using the 'if any' feature.

    Don't get me wrong, you can come up with a valid situation easy I am sure. In your example, white is making the bad move first.

    P-
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    30 Dec '08 17:55
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why would anyone move the bishop to Bh6? You're opponant doesn't know if you've entered an 'if any' move. Even if they moved this way in 100 games you don't know if they've used this feature.

    That is a gamble on the part of white more than black using the 'if any' feature.

    Don't get me wrong, you can come up with a valid situation easy I am sure. In your example, white is making the bad move first.

    P-
    That was an example from traditional CC.

    D
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    30 Dec '08 17:57
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    That was an example from traditional CC.

    D
    Post a PGN plx! I'm interested!

    P-
  7. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    16099
    30 Dec '08 23:09
    The way conditional moves are implemented at present is by FEN. When you make either a quick or a deep mode conditional move a FEN position is stored as the trigger point and a move is stored against it as a response to that position.
    Under the current system an 'any' move would therefore always fire, so it would only be practical as the next move.

    It would need to be tweaked so that the triggering position is the FEN before the move to respond to (i.e. a FEN taken immediately following your own move).

    I'd like to see this implemented. There are drawbacks with using it blindly, but it is possible to blunder without the assistance of conditional moves. This would allow me to set my blunders up in advance.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    30 Dec '08 23:33
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Post a PGN plx! I'm interested!

    P-
    "1.d4 g6

    If any, 2...Bg7."

    1.d4 g6 2.Bh6!! Bg7 3.Bxg7 1-0

    From SG's post.

    D
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    31 Dec '08 02:39
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why would anyone move the bishop to Bh6? You're opponant doesn't know if you've entered an 'if any' move. Even if they moved this way in 100 games you don't know if they've used this feature.

    That is a gamble on the part of white more than black using the 'if any' feature.

    Don't get me wrong, you can come up with a valid situation easy I am sure. In your example, white is making the bad move first.

    P-
    Rag has your answer. This happened in old-school CC - played on postcards by snail mail. In that, you have no choice but to reveal the proposed conditional move.



    So, Black proposed "If any, 2...Bg7" to his opponent, and thus lost. The example was only to show the danger of blanket conditional moves, and not intended to correspond exactly with RHP's implementation of them.
  10. ALG
    Joined
    16 Dec '07
    Moves
    6190
    31 Dec '08 11:35
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Rag has your answer. This happened in old-school CC - played on postcards by snail mail. In that, you have no choice but to reveal the proposed conditional move.

    [pgn]1.d4 g6 2.Bh6 Bg7 3.Bxg7[/pgn]

    So, Black proposed "If any, 2...Bg7" to his opponent, and thus lost. The example was only to show the danger of blanket conditional moves, and not intended to correspond exactly with RHP's implementation of them.
    So it should be 'if any, except' 😀
  11. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Joined
    26 Jul '07
    Moves
    28451
    31 Dec '08 12:56
    If it is implemented I won't be using it. Not only do you have your own blunders to consider, but also those of your opponent. They might suddenly move their queen into danger but you'd be unable to capitalise on it.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    31 Dec '08 14:41
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Rag has your answer. This happened in old-school CC - played on postcards by snail mail. In that, you have no choice but to reveal the proposed conditional move.

    [pgn]1.d4 g6 2.Bh6 Bg7 3.Bxg7[/pgn]

    So, Black proposed "If any, 2...Bg7" to his opponent, and thus lost. The example was only to show the danger of blanket conditional moves, and not intended to correspond exactly with RHP's implementation of them.
    This is the question.

    WHY WOULD WHITE MAKE THAT MOVE? White doesn't know that black has an IF move.

    What is the PGN that shows white making that move ever?

    P-
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    01 Jan '09 08:49
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    White doesn't know that black has an IF move.
    He does if the game is played on postcards. The "IF" moves are not hidden from the opponent in that case.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10263
    01 Jan '09 09:44
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    He does if the game is played on postcards. The "IF" moves are not hidden from the opponent in that case.
    i wish all my opponents told me their next move when they moved.

    in rhp games white wouldn't know what black was planing, in the game you quoted if true it was pure stupidity on the part of black.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    21 Jan '09 12:39
    Sure, but all that is up to the player to evaluate the position. I agree with coquette. There are many instances where one would want this option. For example, in most instances of a skewer with check on the king, you don't care where exactly the king will move.

    I've had some endgames where my opponent didn't resign, where I would have made good use of this option.
Back to Top