Deleted Games - grrr

Deleted Games - grrr

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Dec 04

I'm getting pretty fed up with people accepting my challenges and then deleting the game. In at least one case, the game was deleted FIVE MINUTES after the challenge was accepted. I guess if I don't drop everything and run over to play a move, then they get impatient and just delete it. Isn't this correspondence chess? With time controls measured in days instead of minutes??

So I end up having to post a new game invite over and over again until I find one of the (rare!) players who finishes what he starts.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 Dec 04

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I'm getting pretty fed up with people accepting my challenges and then deleting the game. In at least one case, the game was deleted FIVE MINUTES after the challenge was accepted. I guess if I don't drop everything and run over to play a move, then they get impatient and just delete it. Isn't this correspondence chess? With time controls measured i ...[text shortened]... invite over and over again until I find one of the (rare!) players who finishes what he starts.
Subscribe, and you'll never be short of legit challenges again.

D

OD

Hoagy's Alley

Moves
12 Dec 04

Yep, I find that irritating too - but I do accept that people always have the right not to go ahead with a game for whatever reason, so you just have to shrug and offer the open challenge again.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
14 Dec 04
1 edit

People did this a LOT to me when I first started. I don't know if the provisional rating inspired them to be rude.

A couple of times I accepted a challenge and the game was then deleted, but it was far more common for someone to accept open invites I had made and then deletie them, which really is completely crazy.

If at first you don't succeed... find a nicer opponent! They are out there.

R

London

Moves
14 Dec 04

Originally posted by orfeo
People did this a LOT to me when I first started. I don't know if the provisional rating inspired them to be rude.

A couple of times I accepted a challenge and the game was then deleted, but it was far more common for someone to accept open invites I had made and then deletie them, which really is completely crazy.

If at first you don't succeed... find a nicer opponent! They are out there.
I think the rationale for "accept then delete" is that the accepting player wants to research his opponent, but realises that if he does so before accepting the challenge, someone else will probably get in first. Selfish behaviour, but rational.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
14 Dec 04

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Subscribe, and you'll never be short of legit challenges again.

D
Hmm, let's see. I mention bad behavior by site members, and the response is to urge me to subscribe? For all I know, the subscribers are the ones who are deleting games. And I'm not waiting for challenges. They are accepting my challenge. If my provisional rating or non-member status is a problem, then why did they accept my challenge in the first place??

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 Dec 04

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Hmm, let's see. I mention bad behavior by site members, and the response is to urge me to subscribe? For all I know, the subscribers are the ones who are deleting games. And I'm not waiting for challenges. They are accepting my challenge. If my provisional rating or non-member status is a problem, then why did they accept my challenge in the first place??
Relax my friend.

My point was that if you subscribe, then you won't be relying on open challenges anymore. 99% of my games are clan or tournament. I only play challenges against friends or people who I've played and enjoyed the game.

D