1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 10:25
    I strongly feel there should be a way of deleting your own post that you put in a thread even if it has been there for some days. It is common for people to produce posts only to decide that they were a horrible mistake after it is too late to re-edit them. For example, yesterday I made a post in the “Obama speaks of the Bible” thread by mistake and what I say in that post is literally nothing! I would like to delete that post.

How many of you agree?
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 11:49
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I strongly feel there should be a way of deleting your own post that you put in a thread even if it has been there for some days. It is common for people to produce posts only to decide that they were a horrible mistake after it is too late to re-edit them. For example, yesterday I made a post in the “Obama speaks of the Bible” thread by mistake an ...[text shortened]... y in that post is literally nothing! I would like to delete that post.

How many of you agree?
    You get an hour in which you can still edit your post. I think that is enough.

If you were able to delete posts or continue editing as long as you wanted, then the threads would soon become a mess.
    If you really want a post deleted then ask one of the volunteer mods or alert it - but I don't think this should be a user feature - too easy to abuse.

No one reads empty posts anyway ?!
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 12:32
    it is like the "are you sure you want to submit move" thread.

you think about what you want to post. and then you post it. removing your post would be pointless as you already were suposed to think before posting

take backs are childish. take responsibility for your actions
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 13:52
    I've submitted a post that I was concerned might be offensive and notified that mods that it should probably be removed for that reason. They left it. I looked at it again after about a week and realized that I only offended myself.
  5. At the Revolution
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 23:041 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    I've submitted a post that I was concerned might be offensive and notified that mods that it should probably be removed for that reason. They left it. I looked at it again after about a week and realized that I only offended myself.
    Whoops! ๐Ÿ™„
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 14:46
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it is like the "are you sure you want to submit move" thread.

you think about what you want to post. and then you post it. removing your post would be pointless as you already were suposed to think before posting

take backs are childish. take responsibility for your actions
    …you think about what you want to post. and then you post it. removing your post would be pointless as you already were supposed to think before posting ….

What if I did “think” of what I wanted to post before I posted it but still make a bad mistake which I don’t see until the next day? No mater how careful you are at typing in your post and checking for mistakes, you can still either miss something or exercise a bad error of judgement which you don’t realise until the next day. Some of my posts seemed to me to be “a good idea at the time” but then I somehow see them differently the next day and then permanently regret sending them.

…take backs are childish.,.…

“take backs are childish“? I have to disagree. I would perceive take back as an admittances that I believe I was wrong to post that post and I think such an admittances that I was wrong is not “childish“; if anything, I think it demonstrates I am grown-up! I would say stubbornly refusing to admit I was wrong even though I truly believe I was wrong is “childish“. Of course I can admit I was wrong without deleting my post but then my bad post will still be there and does everybody really want to read my bad posts? Or does everyone really want to read what I didn’t mean to say?

…take responsibility for your actions,.…

We all make mistakes including I. I see as a potential part of “taking responsibility for my actions” the performance of a damage-limitation exercise of my mistakes. If I made a bad error of judgment and made a post that I now believe deeply offends the readers, I see the “responsible” action to be one where I deleting my post before any more people read it and are offended -perhaps with a note of apology for those people already offended.
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 14:552 edits
    Originally posted by orangutan

If you were able to delete posts or continue editing as long as you wanted, then the threads would soon become a mess.
    If you really want a post deleted then ask one of the volunteer mods or alert it - but I don't think this should be a user feature - too easy to abuse.

… too easy to abuse. ….

“too easy to abuse“? -maybe you are right about that -I am just not sure. But in a forum that I happen to know about where you are allowed to delete the post at anytime after you made it, as far as I can see, nobody in that forum abused this option although I admit it is difficult to be certain of this when I don’t know exactly which posts have been deleted and why. The particular forum I am referring to is: http://www.politic.co.uk/
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 14:28
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]… too easy to abuse. ….

“too easy to abuse“? -maybe you are right about that -I am just not sure. But in a forum that I happen to know about where you are allowed to delete the post at anytime after you made it, as far as I can see, nobody in that forum abused this option although I admit it is difficult to be certain of this when I don’t ...[text shortened]... have been deleted and why. The particular forum I am referring to is: http://www.politic.co.uk/[/b]
    Abuse would be someone posting something VERY STUPID or OFFENSIVE and thinking they are right... bunch of posters come along and say how stupid or wrong the original poster is.

Next, that user erases the post to hide how stupid or offensive they are.

Erasing history is like burning books, or what China is doing about Tiananmen Square. If you can erase your posts later, you are trying to hide something you shouldn't have said in the first place.

No erasing after an hour.

P-
  9. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 17:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    ....No erasing after an hour.

P-
    ...says the moderator who erases entire threads just for the lulz! ๐Ÿ˜›
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 17:34
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    ...says the moderator who erases entire threads just for the lulz! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Guess how many threads or posts I have erased this year.

WRONG. Guess much lower now.

P-
  11. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:14

P-
    What? Wait! I haven't even guessed yet. Sheesh... ...feeling a little touchy there Mr. Phlabibit? I apologize profusely if I hit a nerve, sir.
  12. The sky
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 19:10

P-
    -17?
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 20:143 edits
    Abuse would be someone posting something VERY STUPID or OFFENSIVE and thinking they are right... bunch of posters come along and say how stupid or wrong the original poster is.

Next, that user erases the post to hide how stupid or offensive they are.

Erasing history is like burning books, or what China is doing about Tiananmen Square. If you can er ...[text shortened]... o hide something you shouldn't have said in the first place.

No erasing after an hour.

P-
    …Erasing history is like burning books. ..…

While I have a problem with people burning other people’s books, I am uncertain that I have a particular problem with a single person burning his own book that he himself has written. For that reason, I think your analogue isn’t quite right. I wouldn’t propose here to allow you to delete other people’s posts! -only your own post.
  14. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 22:08

P-
    Ha! More proof that you don't actually do ANY mod work here.
  15. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 00:41
    Originally posted by orangutan

Maybe they should add an hour for the REALLY stupid people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree