1. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    15 Aug '19 01:44
    "Among the many other new features, my favorite is the addition of a “Respect” button. Instead of just liking a comment you agree with, you can choose to respect a comment that is well-articulated, even if you may not agree with its substance. Studies from the University of Texas have shown that this feature alone encourages more thoughtful dialogue."
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Aug '19 19:39
    @mister-moggy said
    "Among the many other new features, my favorite is the addition of a “Respect” button. Instead of just liking a comment you agree with, you can choose to respect a comment that is well-articulated, even if you may not agree with its substance. Studies from the University of Texas have shown that this feature alone encourages more thoughtful dialogue."
    I don't know. We have a tough bunch on this site! 😉

-VR
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 20:56
    @mister-moggy said
    I have given thumbs-up to such posts here, e.g., substantive and/or well-written contributions to a discussion, even if I don't agree with all the points made therein.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 01:28
    I think it would be a good idea going forward that those who dislike and like posts are ID by hovering over the thumbs up or down signs. I feel I can almost guess who likes and dislikes some posts, but I'd also believe I could be surprised too.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 06:37
    @kellyjay said
    I think it would be a good idea going forward that those who dislike and like posts are ID by hovering over the thumbs up or down signs. I feel I can almost guess who likes and dislikes some posts, but I'd also believe I could be surprised too.
    And I don't believe that anonymous post-rating should be endangered just because you're curious who liked or disliked it. Maybe you're also curious how your neighbor voted in the last election. But guess what? That's none of your business, either.

The day that whiners finally get their way and thumbs become "knowable" is the day that feature becomes completely useless because no one will use it. Including you, once you figure out that you just shot your own freedom of speech in the foot. But then, that's what many people want on a public board, someplace to spout falsehoods with no repercussion.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 18:591 edit
    @suzianne said
    The day that whiners finally get their way and thumbs become "knowable" is the day that feature becomes completely useless that's what many people want on a public board, someplace to spout falsehoods with no repercussion.
    I know someone who would still use it! 😉

-VR
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 10:48
    @very-rusty said
    I know someone who would still use it! 😉

-VR
    If I thumb down one of 'your' posts, I not only don't mind If you know it was me, I want you to know it.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 13:331 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    If I thumb down one of 'your' posts, I not only don't mind If you know it was me, I want you to know it.
    Then say so every time you thumb down my post, "Silly goad"!!! 😉

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree