deseret news

deseret news "respect button".

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mafia chief

the safe house

Moves
15 Aug 19

"Among the many other new features, my favorite is the addition of a “Respect” button. Instead of just liking a comment you agree with, you can choose to respect a comment that is well-articulated, even if you may not agree with its substance. Studies from the University of Texas have shown that this feature alone encourages more thoughtful dialogue."

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
26 Aug 19

@mister-moggy said
"Among the many other new features, my favorite is the addition of a “Respect” button. Instead of just liking a comment you agree with, you can choose to respect a comment that is well-articulated, even if you may not agree with its substance. Studies from the University of Texas have shown that this feature alone encourages more thoughtful dialogue."
I don't know. We have a tough bunch on this site! 😉

-VR

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Aug 19

@mister-moggy said
I have given thumbs-up to such posts here, e.g., substantive and/or well-written contributions to a discussion, even if I don't agree with all the points made therein.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Oct 19

I think it would be a good idea going forward that those who dislike and like posts are ID by hovering over the thumbs up or down signs. I feel I can almost guess who likes and dislikes some posts, but I'd also believe I could be surprised too.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Oct 19

@kellyjay said
I think it would be a good idea going forward that those who dislike and like posts are ID by hovering over the thumbs up or down signs. I feel I can almost guess who likes and dislikes some posts, but I'd also believe I could be surprised too.
And I don't believe that anonymous post-rating should be endangered just because you're curious who liked or disliked it. Maybe you're also curious how your neighbor voted in the last election. But guess what? That's none of your business, either.

The day that whiners finally get their way and thumbs become "knowable" is the day that feature becomes completely useless because no one will use it. Including you, once you figure out that you just shot your own freedom of speech in the foot. But then, that's what many people want on a public board, someplace to spout falsehoods with no repercussion.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Oct 19
1 edit

@suzianne said
The day that whiners finally get their way and thumbs become "knowable" is the day that feature becomes completely useless that's what many people want on a public board, someplace to spout falsehoods with no repercussion.
I know someone who would still use it! 😉

-VR

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
14 Oct 19

@very-rusty said
I know someone who would still use it! 😉

-VR
If I thumb down one of 'your' posts, I not only don't mind If you know it was me, I want you to know it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
30 Nov 19
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
If I thumb down one of 'your' posts, I not only don't mind If you know it was me, I want you to know it.
Then say so every time you thumb down my post, "Silly goad"!!! 😉

-VR