1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '16 23:201 edit
    Again and again, we see certain people exercising so much control over their rating (resign this game, win that game) that they can manipulate it within some Banded Tourney ranges so that they can enter multiple bands of Banded Tourneys.

My suggestion is to not only check the player's rating when joining the tournament, but to also check the player's rating when assigning games when the tourney starts. If it falls outside the band, strip them off that band's list of players.

"We're sorry, but your rating is no longer within the range allowed for this tournament band and so you have been removed."

Please, please give this some thought.

I'm tired of one player taking up more slots than should be allowed per player and then resigning those games because he wants a lesser rating for clan games anyways. People who do this not only keep ONE player from entering who is actually interested in playing those games, but he keeps TWO players who want to actually play those games out. This is especially critical in those tourneys with a lower number of players, but should become standard policy for ALL banded tournaments.
  2. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Dec '16 21:59
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Again and again, we see certain people exercising so much control over their rating (resign this game, win that game) that they can manipulate it within some Banded Tourney ranges so that they can enter multiple bands of Banded Tourneys.

My suggestion is to not only check the player's rating when joining the tournament, but to also check the player's rat ...[text shortened]... ys with a lower number of players, but should become standard policy for ALL banded tournaments.
    There's an easier answer.
    A player can only enter once in any tournament regardless of the bands
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Dec '16 00:23
    The chess.com system seems to move the booking to a higher or lower band automatically, right up until the tournament closes.
  4. Here
    Moves
    19 Dec '16 09:31

My suggestion is to not only check the player's rating when joining the tournament, but to also check the player's rat ...[text shortened]... ys with a lower number of players, but should become standard policy for ALL banded tournaments.
    This seems to happen quite often, have look at Banded threesomes 1700 +,1.11.111
    I am not too bothered by people entering at different levels. Some tournaments would never start without this happening.
    However I am bothered by people resigning game after game just to keep theit rating down
    There must be a way of preventing this
    Like if you resign more than twice in a tournament you cannot enter another tournament for 30 days
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Dec '16 18:18
    Originally posted by padger
    Like if you resign more than twice in a tournament you cannot enter another tournament for 30 days
    No ... resigning is a normal part of chess. It makes little sense to punish everyone for it just to stop a few abusers.

How about simply separating clan and tourney ratings? At least then they'd have to do the sandbagging entirely under the clan system to gain an advantage in that system.
  6. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Dec '16 19:50
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    No ... resigning is a normal part of chess. It makes little sense to punish everyone for it just to stop a few abusers.

How about simply separating clan and tourney ratings? At least then they'd have to do the sandbagging entirely under the clan system to gain an advantage in that system.
    This has been suggested in another thread but I can'rtremember where it is.I know it's realatively recent though.
  7. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    20 Dec '16 20:34
    Originally posted by venda
    This has been suggested in another thread but I can'rtremember where it is.I know it's realatively recent though.
    There should be seperate ratings for clans, tournaments and general games, would show up quickly any foul play
  8. Here
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 08:11
    it was you who suggested it ( ALZHEIMERS ? )
  9. Subscribervendaonline
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 08:49
    Originally posted by padger
    it was you who suggested it ( ALZHEIMERS ? )
    I know it was my suggestion padg. but when I had a quick look I couldn't find it and it's more like consistent alchohol abuse than alzheimers I think.
    I was advises by the doctor to limit myself to a pint a day.
    I'm up to July the 20th 2031.
  10. Here
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 10:33
    I know it was my suggestion padg. but when I had a quick look I couldn't find it and it's more like consistent alchohol abuse than alzheimers I think.
    I was advises by the doctor to limit myself to a pint a day.
    I'm up to July the 20th 2031.
    Have a look at " Tournament entry conditional "
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 03:451 edit

I don't see what wrong with entering 2 different bands of tournament. I did it myself once, I entered one, then resigned a game that I was lost in, then joined the lower band.

Tournament 3785
    Tournament 3786

I sent feedback and requested this thematic tournament and I was happy to be able to play in both bands.

If someone wants to resign their games after joining that's their prerogative. Sometimes life happens and you realize you wont have the time you thought you did.
  12. Here
    Moves
    23 Dec '16 06:39
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    I don't see what wrong with entering 2 different bands of tournament. I did it myself once, I entered one, then resigned a game that I was lost in, then joined the lower band.

Tournament 3785
    Tournament 3786

I sent feedback and requested this thematic tournament and I was happy to be able to play in both bands.

If someone wants to resign t ...[text shortened]... prerogative. Sometimes life happens and you realize you wont have the time you thought you did.
    You do not see not paying a subscription is a problem either
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Dec '16 12:011 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

Resigning a game in a lost position is one thing; resigning a game in an unclear (or won) position for the purpose of skewing one's rating is another. It is extraordinarily difficult to distinguish them by any sort of automated/coded 'robot' at the web site; some human would have to look at the games and assess them, in light of what the players can be reasonably assumed to know about the positions in question (based on other games they have played). This is labor intensive and would require something like a tournament director's function here at RHP to arbitrate disputed games.

We have seen games at RHP resigned within five moves, and we have seen games which went to mate-in-one which were resigned by the player to mate-on-the-move. These are clear infractions of good sportsmanship, even if not specifically mentioned in the RHP rules (these cases are mentioned in USCF tourney rules, if anyone cares to look them up).

I favor separating tourney ratings, clan ratings, and general ratings at this web site. This alone will not cure all that is ailing here though.
  14. Joined
    22 Feb '10
    Moves
    23 Dec '16 14:562 edits
    I favor separating tourney ratings, clan ratings, and general ratings at this web site.
    I agree. I also favor preserving players' actual ratings at the time the games were played. That way, members could see that a person won a 1200-1300 banded tournament when they were rated 2000+. They couldn't claim that they were rated lower at the time.

I addition, we should be able to see players' ratings at the beginning and end of the tournaments. I saw one recently where a player was rated 900 when the tournament started, but who quickly rose to over 2000 before the first round was completed. This person slipped in at the last minute so none of the participants could change their minds....
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 13:04
    There's an easier answer.
    A player can only enter once in any tournament regardless of the bands
    Perfect answer.

I'd be happy with this as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree