1. Berks.
    Moves
    24 Nov '06 15:42
    Originally posted by Ramned
    is it even possible for that position?
    I do realise as a problem this is cooked (there are three solutions), but from a pretty obviously legal position, that position is one of the forced mates in two available.

2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Nov '06 16:17
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Explain an example... besides king vs. king.

P-
    K+BvK
    K+NvK
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Nov '06 07:10
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    If that was so, there would be no point in having time settings in the first place.
    Huh? How do you figure?
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '06 14:38
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Huh? How do you figure?
    Well, is it not part of the game, that you must think and move within the agreed time limits?
    I take it as just another rule that if broken can lose you the game.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Nov '06 22:08
    Well, is it not part of the game, that you must think and move within the agreed time limits?
    I take it as just another rule that if broken can lose you the game.
    If that is your view, you must (for consistency) also support loss of the game on time with King vs. King. I think few experienced chess players would be willing to support such a position. A clock should not give a player a win that he could not possibly get over the board.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '06 22:33
    If that is your view, you must (for consistency) also support loss of the game on time with King vs. King. I think few experienced chess players would be willing to support such a position. A clock should not give a player a win that he could not possibly get over the board.o
    I agree in principal but then there would be little reason to have time settings though.
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Nov '06 01:26
    I agree in principal but then there would be little reason to have time settings though.
    That's not true. Time settings would influence the game until it reached a point where a result other than a draw was not possible.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Nov '06 19:27
    Not true. Take K+Q v. K+B, for instance. The guy with the Queen runs out of time. The proper result is a draw, because the guy with the Bishop cannot possibly give checkmate. The time settings have still very much influenced the game, however, because the side with the Queen probably had a forced win on the board, and now must settle for a draw.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 10:15
    Not true. Take K+Q v. K+B, for instance. The guy with the Queen runs out of time. The proper result is a draw, because the guy with the Bishop cannot possibly give checkmate. The time settings have still very much influenced the game, however, because the side with the Queen probably had a forced win on the board, and now must settle for a draw.
    Yes, you are right. 😕
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 07:55
    Yes, you are right. 😕
    I'm having trouble understanding your reasoning. In the example I cited, the game ended when a flag fell. The main purpose of time settings (keeping the game from dragging on eternally) seems to have been satisfied.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree