1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Oct '04 22:00
    I think this should be a static feature set with the country of your registration details.

Its pointless being able to change it, and has an adverse affect (effect?) on tournaments which are restricted to certain areas, when people temporarily change their flags so that they can join.

This would also have saved all those broken welsh hearts after finding out that Ironman wasn't one of their own. πŸ˜‰

Of course, the feature to hide your flag should remain.

D
  2. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    12 Oct '04 22:361 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I think this should be a static feature set with the country of your registration details.

Its pointless being able to change it, and has an adverse affect (effect?) on tournaments which are restricted to certain areas, when people temp ...[text shortened]... πŸ˜‰

Of course, the feature to hide your flag should remain.

D
    Ironman already saved all those broken heartsπŸ™‚
    Edit: oh well - my English, sorry...
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    13 Oct '04 09:09
    Is it possible to get the country out of the surfer's ip-adress?
    And perhaps it would make sense to show (and hide) the user's gender.
    th
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    13 Oct '04 11:18
    Originally posted by thire
    th

It is possible but not very practical. It would mean that a trace would have to be done to determain the ISP domain that the person is connected. This can sometimes take a little time, hence a delay every time the person's country details are shown.
  5. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    13 Oct '04 11:30
    Originally posted by lausey

It is possible but not very practical. It would mean that a trace would have to be done to determain the ISP domain that the person is connected. This can sometimes take a little time, hence a delay every time the person's country details are shown.
    No, I just meant once, at registration...
    th
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Oct '04 14:09
    Originally posted by thire
    th
    I don't think that would have to be done, as the credit card verification requires your proper address to be entered.

D
  7. Virginia
    Moves
    13 Oct '04 16:21
    Actually, that doesn't work either. Actual cases in point...

Some friends of mine work for the US State Department. They may want to list as the US, but their address isn't in the US.

Other people don't pay for their own subscriptions, so the relationship is non-existent.

As for changing it, some people move around quite a bit and don't really have a country. One friend of mine has lived most of his life in the US, but his passport is British. If he moves to Canada, which he is considering, what country does he list? If he had the US down and wants to change it to Canada, what does he do?

I say leave it. There isn't a way to prevent abuse without prevent legitimate movements.

Then again, maybe if the flags were locked during the 3-5 days of a geography tournament registration, that would work. Lock the settings, then open registration. You can only register for what you had declared already. After the Tournaments start, the flags are unlocked for legitimate, hopefully, changes.
  8. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    13 Oct '04 22:02
    i agree - people move around and theres no saying you live in the country in which you were born/consider home.

personally i agree with you though, there should be a static flag thing happening.

9. Hoagy's Alley
    Moves
    16 Oct '04 09:50
    It would be good if the name of the country showed up when you hover over the flag. There are some fairly obscure flags out there. (Yes I know there's a page that lists them all, that's just a hassle.)
  10. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    16 Oct '04 16:52
    Originally posted by Officer Dibble
    It would be good if the name of the country showed up when you hover over the flag. There are some fairly obscure flags out there. (Yes I know there's a page that lists them all, that's just a hassle.)
    good old easy wish. please! πŸ™‚
    th
  11. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    19 Oct '04 14:09
    I don't know where anybody's from unless they mention it in the profile and I read it. those little flags are a waste. unless it's a big country i have no idea what the flag represents and don't feel like straining through a list of hundreds of little flags and deciding if red goes on top or white or whatever. Anybody thought of just putting the country next to their name?
  12. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    20 Oct '04 11:34
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I don't know where anybody's from unless they mention it in the profile and I read it. those little flags are a waste. unless it's a big country i have no idea what the flag represents and don't feel like straining through a list of hundreds of little flags and deciding if red goes on top or white or whatever. Anybody thought of just putting the country next to their name?
    Problem with that is, if the country was next to the name there would be people saying they don't want to rifle through atlases to find out where the country is.

If they're a waste to you, just ignore them.
  13. Braga, Portugal
    Moves
    12 Nov '04 09:09
    The Flag should be chosen when registering, like the name and gender... we dont expect that to change πŸ™„.

People are always changing flags.. like ironman he's like.. Italian , French, Dutch, Israel, make up ur mind... what's the point?
  14. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    17 Nov '04 01:12
    Originally posted by Officer Dibble
    As a matter of interest where is the page that lists them all?
  15. Serbia
    Moves
    17 Nov '04 08:16
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    As a matter of interest where is the page that lists them all?
    It is in the FAQ section:

http://www.timeforchess.com/help/index.php?help=flags

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree