1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    01 Mar '06 17:502 edits
    Here's an idea: After you make a forum post, a flag appears next to that thread. Given the many forums here, it would help participants remember which threads they are involved in. The flag could also change color if there are new posts after the user's last post in the thread.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Mar '06 20:22
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Here's an idea: After you make a forum post, a flag appears next to that thread. Given the many forums here, it would help participants remember which threads they are involved in. The flag could also change color if there are new posts after the user's last post in the thread.
    Recced.
  3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 00:44
    I like it, therefore ZanthosZn will hate it.😀
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 04:26
    Agreed - it's a common feature on many web forums.
  5. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 16:41
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I've updated my GreaseMonkey user script at http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/forum.user.js to do this. Threads where you have posted have a red dot beside the topic while threads where you have posted and where there are new posts will have a green dot beside them. Of course, the latter is a little redundant, since if there are new posts, you won't be listed as the 'last poster'.

You'll need Firefox with the GreaseMonkey extension. Make sure that you shift-RELOAD so that you aren't getting a cached version.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 17:061 edit
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    I've updated my GreaseMonkey user script at http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/forum.user.js to do this. Threads where you have posted have a red dot beside the topic while threads where you have posted and where there are new posts will have a green dot beside them. Of course, the latter is a little redundant, since if there are new posts, you won't b y extension. Make sure that you shift-RELOAD so that you aren't getting a cached version.
    I don't think the green dot is working for me.

In threads that i have posted last, there is a red dot. All other threads (including ones which I have posted in before) have yellow dots.

Cheers for the good work. Are you updating the rating calculator for the game page as well? [EDIT] Woohoo, its been done. http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/rhp.user.js

D
  7. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 17:10
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I don't think the green dot is working for me.

In threads that i have posted last, there is a red dot. All other threads (including ones which I have posted in before) have yellow dots.

Cheers for the good work. Are you updating the rating calculator for the game page as well?

D
    I should have noted that this is not retro-active. It will only marks threads as you go forward after the installation of the script.

I have updated all of the userscripts to work with the new board code as of last week. You can find them all at: http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/
  8. The sky
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 17:19
    I should have noted that this is not retro-active. It will only marks threads as you go forward after the installation of the script.

I have updated all of the userscripts to work with the new board code as of last week. You can find them all at: http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/
    Thanks, ouroboros, that's great!
  9. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 04:34

But what can you do for the color blind? I prefer red and blue dots.😳
  10. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 05:51
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    But what can you do for the color blind? I prefer red and blue dots.😳
    You can change the script to suit your needs. The images are returned in two different functions. The newMsgsImg function is used for threads where you have posted and there are new messages while the posterImg function is used for threads where you have posted and you are the last poster.

For example, say that you have an image accessible at http://www.foo.com/mypic.gif, you can change the newMsgsImg routine to:

return 'http://www.foo.com/mypic.gif';

and that image will be used for all threads where you have posted and there are new messages.
  11. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 06:36
    You can change the script to suit your needs. The images are returned in two different functions. The newMsgsImg function is used for threads where you have posted and there are new messages while the posterImg function is used for threads where you have posted and you are the last poster.

For example, say that you have an image accessible at http://w ...[text shortened]...
    and that image will be used for all threads where you have posted and there are new messages.
    Great easy enough. One of these days when I grow up I am going to be smart like you.😉😀

Thanks
  12. The sky
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 16:061 edit
    I have been using ouroboros' script for a while now, and I find it very helpful. But I have noticed something strange - sometimes a thread will not get marked as read, and sometimes it won't get marked with a red dot after I have posted in it. In the latter case, it will not get marked with a green dot later either. I found out that this happens when the time given for the last post in the thread is a minute earlier than the time given in the thread list. This doesn't sound like a bug in the script, but rather a bug in the forums - the times given for the last post should be the same in and outside the thread. No big deal, it doesn't happen very often, but I just thought it was a bit weird.

Edit: A current example is Thread 39298. Actually in this case the times are not just slightly off - the last post in the thread was supposedly written on March 5 at 17:38, but in the thread list it says March 6, 8:51. Maybe the last post was deleted. In any case, the thread doesn't get marked as read.
  13. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 17:40
    Yeah, I've actually noticed that awhile ago. It's probably because the database times are updated with something like the now() function rather than grabbing the time of posting, storing it in a variable, and then using that value to update all columns necessary. So if you post at 12:59:59, your post time will be set correctly but when the 'last post time' is updated, the time has already changed to 1:00:00. All speculation though as I haven't seen the backend code.

I could put in some hack to get around it but it doesn't seem worth it.
  14. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 20:171 edit
    i have found that when I come back the next day after looking at/posting in threads, they are no longer flagged. I have not quit firefox or switched off my computer. I have no idea about programming so I don't understand the scripts.

Edit: It's just the 'looked at' threads, which go back to bold type after a day.
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 22:56
    Originally posted by mosquitorespect
    i have found that when I come back the next day after looking at/posting in threads, they are no longer flagged. I have not quit firefox or switched off my computer. I have no idea about programming so I don't understand the scripts.

Edit: It's just the 'looked at' threads, which go back to bold type after a day.
    ouroboros is probably the best man to answer you, but it sounds like an issue with your cookies. Tools - Options - Privacy - Cookies - Choose Keep Cookies "Until they expire", not "Until you close Firefox".

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree