Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 11 Feb '10 09:14
    Can we get them to only apply to the public forums? Clubs are private and already unmoderated, so you don't have the problem of worrying about the inappropriate content that causes most bans now. just a thought.
  2. 11 Feb '10 12:30
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    well, the punishment should fit the crime. if the crime is in the public forums, shouldn't the punishment be restricted to the public forums as well? Yes I know club forums are moderated by the club creator, but that's not the point. The point is that, depending on the club owner, private forums don't have the restrictions on content that the public forums do.
  3. 11 Feb '10 13:10
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    well, the punishment should fit the crime. if the crime is in the public forums, shouldn't the punishment be restricted to the public forums as well? Yes I know club forums are moderated by the club creator, but that's not the point. The point is that, depending on the club owner, private forums don't have the restrictions on content that the public forums do.
    Weird logic.

    Does that mean that if you are caught cheating in a match that is a Club/Clan/Tournament/Open invite then you should only be banned from participating in Club/Clan/Tournament/Open games and not the whole site?
  4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    11 Feb '10 17:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    One point is that standards of moderation are different and thus something that earns a ban in a public forum may be perfectly acceptable in a private forum.

    For example, there is no reason to ban someone from private forums just because they discuss engine cheat suspects in the public forum. Discussion of cheats in the private forums is fine as long as the mod of that forum permits it.
  5. Subscriber divegeester
    Naughtius Maximus
    11 Feb '10 19:58 / 1 edit
    On the other hand, why should the site owners bother writing more code just to accommodate a leniency appeal from those of us who lack discernment during moments of temporary insanity.
  6. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    11 Feb '10 20:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    On the other hand, why should the site owners bother writing more code just to accommodate a leniency appeal from those of us who lack discernment during moments of temporary insanity.
    It's not a leniency appeal. No one is suggesting that public forum bans be made less harsh.

    The site owners have been willing in the past to write more code to accommodate the difference between private and public forums: Thread 123940
  7. Subscriber divegeester
    Naughtius Maximus
    11 Feb '10 20:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It's not a leniency appeal. No one is suggesting that public forum bans be made less harsh.

    The site owners have been willing in the past to write more code to accommodate the difference between private and public forums: Thread 123940
    I do think the OP idea has some value in it, but is it really worth bothering?

    The thread you are referring to protects the private forums when for example, the moderator team have to remove a mass of spam threads. The idea here however is to provide an offender with a possibly more lenient punishment, an act that only affects them, and then only temporarily.
  8. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    11 Feb '10 20:56
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I do think the OP idea has some value in it, but is it really worth bothering?

    The thread you are referring to protects the private forums when for example, the moderator team have to remove a mass of spam threads. The idea here however is to provide an offender with a possibly more lenient punishment, an act that only affects them, and then only temporarily.
    We're at an impasse. As I see it, OP's idea has nothing to do with leniency, but rather keeping the moderation of public and private forums separate. The public mods should not have any control over the private forums. That should belong exclusively to the owner of the private forum.
  9. Subscriber divegeester
    Naughtius Maximus
    11 Feb '10 21:03
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    We're at an impasse. As I see it, OP's idea has nothing to do with leniency, but rather keeping the moderation of public and private forums separate. The public mods should not have any control over the private forums. That should belong exclusively to the owner of the private forum.
    Not an impasse SG as I've previously agreed with BOC on this; I guess I'm just being realistic in presuming that it wouldn't happen.
  10. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    11 Feb '10 23:06
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Not an impasse SG as I've previously agreed with BOC on this; I guess I'm just being realistic in presuming that it wouldn't happen.
    If we can just keep it off the TO-DO list, it has a chance....
  11. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    12 Feb '10 01:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    well, the punishment should fit the crime. if the crime is in the public forums, shouldn't the punishment be restricted to the public forums as well? Yes I know club forums are moderated by the club creator, but that's not the point. The point is that, depending on the club owner, private forums don't have the restrictions on content that the public forums do.
    CFT is correct on this one!

    The ban would mean nothing if you could still post in the Private Clubs & Clans. People would be having contests to see how long they could get banned from the Public Forums I am sure.

    It would make more work for the Moderators.
  12. 12 Feb '10 02:00
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    CFT is correct on this one!

    The ban would mean nothing if you could still post in the Private Clubs & Clans. People would be having contests to see how long they could get banned from the Public Forums I am sure.

    It would make more work for the Moderators.
    hhmm we've been here before. i agree with rusty logic but everything rusty says is wrong, ergo i must actually be wrong here and this must be an excellent idea. thanks for the help
  13. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    12 Feb '10 02:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    hhmm we've been here before. i agree with rusty logic but everything rusty says is wrong, ergo i must actually be wrong here and this must be an excellent idea. thanks for the help
    Obviously CFT thinks I am right also. My Logic is superior to yours always has been, always will be.

    Trust me on this!

    I wouldn't lead you down the wrong garden path!
  14. 12 Feb '10 03:05
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Obviously CFT thinks I am right also. My Logic is superior to yours always has been, always will be.

    Trust me on this!

    I wouldn't lead you down the wrong garden path!
    i find it hard trusting a person who is wrong 99.9% of the time... but i'm inclined to agree with you here

    i bet you know were some killer wild mushrooms are growing.
  15. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    12 Feb '10 03:45
    Originally posted by trev33
    i find it hard trusting a person who is wrong 99.9% of the time... but i'm inclined to agree with you here

    i bet you know were some killer wild mushrooms are growing.
    My suggestion would be not to believe someone who is wrong 99.9% of the time.

    Listen to someone like myself that is correct 99.9% of the time!

    I get my mushrooms fresh from a grocery store, and don't insinuate differently.