Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Standard member Hindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    06 Jul '06 23:00
    I'm not wanting to offend anyone precisely, but shouldn't there be a rule that restricts posting on the forums for people who have moved recently - say in the last 24 hours?

    This is a Chess site after all, and if you are not playing chess here, then should you really have unrestricted access to the forums?

    To see postings by members who haven't moved for 300 days does seem a little silly. If you've got time to post then you should have time to play chess too!
  2. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    06 Jul '06 23:17
    Stupid Idea.
  3. Standard member Hindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    06 Jul '06 23:19
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Stupid Idea.
    Why?
  4. 07 Jul '06 00:39
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    I'm not wanting to offend anyone precisely, but shouldn't there be a rule that restricts posting on the forums for people who have moved recently - say in the last 24 hours?

    This is a Chess site after all, and if you are not playing chess here, then should you really have unrestricted access to the forums?

    To see postings by members who haven't moved ...[text shortened]... eem a little silly. If you've got time to post then you should have time to play chess too!
    I hear you shouting the words "BOWMANN"

    go on..... tell me im wrong!!
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    07 Jul '06 00:41
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    Why?
    Because it is a clumsy attempt to deal with a small group of transgressors and will just end up annoying a whole bunch of people who aren't doing anything wrong.
  6. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    07 Jul '06 00:46
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Because it is a clumsy attempt to deal with a small group of transgressors and will just end up annoying a whole bunch of people who aren't doing anything wrong.
    Xanthos has a point.
    Much as i dislike the serindipity effect, whats to stop two clowns making one move in the required time limit just so the stay in the boundries. I think maybe a symbol to show up on their avatar to when they haven't moved in a week/month/100 days for instance.

    If there is a choice for 21/28 games, why ban those playing these types of games from posting in the forum.

    Maybe if they have no games ongoing, maybe then it could work.
  7. 07 Jul '06 01:07
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Xanthos has a point.
    Much as i dislike the serindipity effect, whats to stop two clowns making one move in the required time limit just so the stay in the boundries. I think maybe a symbol to show up on their avatar to when they haven't moved in a week/month/100 days for instance.

    If there is a choice for 21/28 games, why ban those playing thes ...[text shortened]... es from posting in the forum.

    Maybe if they have no games ongoing, maybe then it could work.
    Gave you a rec for that HBH for the possibility of placing some kind of symbol on a persons profile to say they are a non mover in a certain given time period. I think all players who dont move or post in 6 months automatically get there sub/membership (including non) removed.
  8. 07 Jul '06 01:37
    It's a stupid idea and would be a 110% waste of time to implement. Would accomplish nothing worthwhile.
  9. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    07 Jul '06 01:43
    Originally posted by rmacken
    I think all players who dont move or post in 6 months automatically get there sub/membership (including non) removed.
    That's even stupider.
  10. Standard member KJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    07 Jul '06 01:43
    Originally posted by rmacken
    Gave you a rec for that HBH for the possibility of placing some kind of symbol on a persons profile to say they are a non mover in a certain given time period. I think all players who dont move or post in 6 months automatically get there sub/membership (including non) removed.
    Interesting thought, removing players who are inactive for a long period of time, but I can see the problem in that too. There are players that return to RHP after an extended break for whatever reason. Should they be made to go back and reearn the rating that they may have gotten before they were gone, or just be reinstated?
    While there is just a small handful on inactive players in the forums. My absolute best suggestion would be to ignore them. Now I can see the response that will come with this suggestion, but eventually even the most stubborn of forum trolls (HBH I like the term) will get bored and go away. At least that is the theory. 6000 members and no one to talk to would get very boring.
  11. Subscriber cashthetrash
    PoPeYe
    07 Jul '06 02:13
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Interesting thought, removing players who are inactive for a long period of time, but I can see the problem in that too. There are players that return to RHP after an extended break for whatever reason. Should they be made to go back and reearn the rating that they may have gotten before they were gone, or just be reinstated?
    While there is just a small ...[text shortened]... go away. At least that is the theory. 6000 members and no one to talk to would get very boring.
    I ignore you.
  12. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    07 Jul '06 07:06
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    I'm not wanting to offend anyone precisely, but shouldn't there be a rule that restricts posting on the forums for people who have moved recently - say in the last 24 hours?

    This is a Chess site after all, and if you are not playing chess here, then should you really have unrestricted access to the forums?

    To see postings by members who haven't moved ...[text shortened]... eem a little silly. If you've got time to post then you should have time to play chess too!
    Great idea!

    I'd also like to get rid of the General Forum. I'm tired of hearing who won the latest soccer game. I don't give a crap whether Italy or Germany or Portugal or Taz-Freaking-Mania wins the World Cup. This is a chess site, dammit!

    Speaking of that, the Spirituality Forum is really annoying and should also be immediately axed. I'm sick of hearing everyone argue that their belief is the only correct one and everyone else is going to hell. This is a chess site, dammit!

    And on that subject, I find the Debates Forum particularly offensive. I don't give a crap who loves or hates America, the Iraq war, bannings of spamming members, towelheads, neocons, socialists, communists, etc. This is a chess site, dammit!
  13. Standard member Hindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    08 Jul '06 08:33
    Originally posted by rmacken
    I hear you shouting the words "BOWMANN"

    go on..... tell me im wrong!!
    Not at all - he at least has 5 games on the go!

    I see those points about long time frame games, but if you get to 300 days since your last move and you're still posting, something is wrong.

    I'm sure that Russ created this site as a chess site, with added forums, not the other way round.
  14. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    08 Jul '06 09:50
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    I'm sure that Russ created this site as a chess site, with added forums, not the other way round.
    Quoting Russ: "The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community."

    No stipulation about having to play chess.

    I think you're original site idea is total crap. I see no need for correlation between playing chess and posting in the forums. A number of users have joined the site purely for the photography competition. These are more customers who increase the revenue stream from advertisers, and who possibly spread the word of the good community to others.

    Why do you want to hurt the site by removing income generating customers?

    D
  15. Standard member Smiffy
    SPS CLAN
    08 Jul '06 14:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Interesting thought, removing players who are inactive for a long period of time, but I can see the problem in that too. There are players that return to RHP after an extended break for whatever reason. Should they be made to go back and reearn the rating that they may have gotten before they were gone, or just be reinstated?
    While there is just a small ...[text shortened]... go away. At least that is the theory. 6000 members and no one to talk to would get very boring.
    Like Cheshire Cat for instance