1. Manila, Philippines
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 03:30
    do you guys think this would be a good idea?

during a game in progress...when the pieces are being moved to known patterns (openings)...there would be a message shown informing players what is the opening being played

this would help those who are not familiar with certain openings
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 03:46
    in my opinion, i think it may be a bit over the top......if you want to know what opening is bieng played just look it up.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 08:07
    I would like this information in the PGN head. Just as information.
  4. Manila, Philippines
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 08:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I would like this information in the PGN head. Just as information.
    what's a PGN?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 09:45
    Originally posted by xtian
    what's a PGN?
    Oh, sorry:

This is a PGN, it's a description of a game:

[Event "Clan league"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2007.03.01"]
    [EndDate "2007.03.21"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "staleone"]
    [Black "FabianFnas"]
    [WhiteRating "1193"]
    [BlackRating "1607"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "3249633"]

1. e4 e5 2. f3 Bf8c5 3. Bf1e2 d6 4. Ng1h3 Bc8xh3 5. gxh3 Qd8h4 6. Ke1f1 Qh4f2 0-1

It's essentially a text file. You can use it to import into another chess analyzing program, like Fritz.

In the PGN file's header you can read about the game, in the PGN body you can see the game itself.

My suggestion was that also the games opening could be presented, and its ECO code, in the header of the PGN file. It's often done so in program databases, so you more easily can filter out games of a particular kind.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Aug '07 14:19
    Originally posted by xtian
    do you guys think this would be a good idea?

during a game in progress...when the pieces are being moved to known patterns (openings)...there would be a message shown informing players what is the opening being played

this would help those who are not familiar with certain openings
    With Firefox and Greasemonkey and Ouroboros' script, this is already being displayed.

D
  7. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 04:391 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    With Firefox and Greasemonkey and Ouroboros' script, this is already being displayed.

D
    Don't you have problems with Grease Fires?
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 04:48
    one of the little secrets of RHP that really should be posted more prominently and new players shouldn't have to wait for this to come up in threads so here it is: RHP has a "games explorer" that is really cool, even though it apparently isn't updated as often as many would like it to be. here is the address:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/

Those other things like greasemonkey and ouroboros or whatever those are apparently work well, but this games explorer thing is also very cool

as to "helper" information and so on, i tend to be divided on that. the reason is that you can't go in to a chess tournament and have your opening and endgame books and your fritz there "suggesting moves" and all of that. the traditional chess game is pretty much based on a human-to-human interaction.

i'm not against computers and aides . .all that is good. but a marathon between a runner and a bicyclist and a car doesn't make much sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree