Hyperlinks

Hyperlinks

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
05 Aug 06

I've said this before, but I can't find the thread to bump it. I'd like to have the abililty to create a hyperlink to another page offsite. Have it open in a _new window. All this cut 'n paste is killing my mouse.

SS

Moves
05 Aug 06

DS

Moves
05 Aug 06

As said above;

Get Firefox...then linkification.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/190/

Also: Get the greasemonkey extension...

http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

and you can make use of the various user scripts in the developers forum.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
05 Aug 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
As said above;

Get Firefox...then linkification.
While I can appreciate the suggestion, not everyone has a choice of browser.

SS

Moves
05 Aug 06

DS

Moves
05 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by David C
While I can appreciate the suggestion, not everyone has a choice of browser.
Maybe this would work for you...

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
05 Aug 06

All this cut 'n paste is killing my mouse.
Try your keyboard....

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
06 Aug 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
How come? You mean from work?
Yep. Locked down in a Microsoft dungeon, I am.

c
'Sir' to you

Osaka, Japan

Moves
06 Aug 06

Yep. Locked down in a Microsoft dungeon, I am.
Have you spoken to the boss about it?

Moves
07 Aug 06
1 edit

Or, how about this site is made compatible with the majority use browser. Firefox may be 'better', but that is no reason for this site not to have the even this basic compatibility with the largest block of users who may not WANT to change browser simply to be compatible with this one site. Try responding once in a while with a response other than 'use Firefox'.

Sais

Berks.

Moves
07 Aug 06

Originally posted by googlefudge
Or, how about this site is made compatible with the majority use browser. Firefox may be 'better', but that is no reason for this site not to have the even this basic compatibility with the largest block of users who may not WANT to change browser simply to be compatible with this one site. Try responding once in a while with a response other than 'use Firefox'.
From what I recall the reason why hyperlinks aren't automatically created is site policy and due to some sort of responsibility about where links point to (admin or someone with a better memory can add more to that).

So it isn't actually any different for Firefox users, other than the fact we can use plugins to change the way a site works. So the response of using Firefox is a reasonable suggestion. Unfortunately one that not everyone can use, but for those who can and aren't aware of, should be considered.

Digital Alchemist

Moves
07 Aug 06

Originally posted by googlefudge
Like everything, priorities must be set. I would rather see the developers spend time on functionality rather than appearance, or features that have a workaround or are just a mere annoyance. I think conditional moves and a games database are a couple of the biggest features missing from the site.

The site currently offers basic compatibility with all current browsers. You can make moves, access forums, and do eveything that you need to do to play chess online. Extra features are available to those who have a 'better' browser and are able and willing to get it.

It isn't as if people not willing to use Firefox are re-directed to a page saying that the site is not compatible with your browser--which I have seen when not using IE!

Moves
07 Aug 06

Originally posted by Peakite
From what I recall the reason why hyperlinks aren't automatically created is site policy and due to some sort of responsibility about where links point to (admin or someone with a better memory can add more to that).

So it isn't actually any different for Firefox users, other than the fact we can use plugins to change the way a site works. So the response ...[text shortened]... e that not everyone can use, but for those who can and aren't aware of, should be considered.
IE also allows plug-in's, so the next question is whether there is no IE plug-in because it is impossible (very difficult) to make one, or that all the people with the requisite skills/time/inclination use Firefox? I realise that there should be priorities and that this isn't high on the list necessarily, but it is annoying to have almost every suggestion someone makes be followed by use Firefox, particularly given the last time I tried it I hated it. If it is the case that plug-in’s could be made for IE then maybe some should be produced, if not then that’s ok just try not to be quite so condescending and smug about it, and try not to ram Firefox down peoples throat in every thread. I will say in adendum to that, that this thread is by no means the worst, just the one I hit apon while in the wrong frame of mind.

SS

Moves
07 Aug 06
1 edit

Moves
07 Aug 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Moody tosser. Explain how anyone's being condescending. Did not people here give a solution to the problem. Learn some manners.
when I start swearing and you might be able to lecture me on manners. till then...