1. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 03:32
    It would be cool if the instant messenger feature used for player to player discussion during blitz was availible in other sections of this website like in forums, clan forums, maybe even regular games.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 03:44
    why?
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 03:53
    Originally posted by trev33
    why?
    lol. Do you ever use instant messenger trev? Now imagine that it could used in the ways I proposed in my post.

I like this blitz feature - as long as I'm not dealing with trolls - and think it could be expanded upon.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 04:05
    Originally posted by TSaffle
    lol. Do you ever use instant messenger trev? Now imagine that it could used in the ways I proposed in my post.

I like this blitz feature - as long as I'm not dealing with trolls - and think it could be expanded upon.
    you see the thing is that when you play blitz you're both there at the same time and can chat.. if you want. correspondence chess... correspondence chat ๐Ÿ˜‰

i've been to forums that had a live chat sub-forum and it didn't add anything to the sites imo.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 04:25
    you see the thing is that when you play blitz you're both there at the same time and can chat.. if you want. correspondence chess... correspondence chat ๐Ÿ˜‰

i've been to forums that had a live chat sub-forum and it didn't add anything to the sites imo.
    So we're not online at the same time right now? Sort of seems like we are. That little green light thingy tells you if someone is online.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 04:35
    So we're not online at the same time right now? Sort of seems like we are. That little green light thingy tells you if someone is online.
    no, the little green dot tell you if someone has moved within the past 10 minutes, not if their currently online.

are you on this site as i type this? i wasn't when you posted yours.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 04:39
    no, the little green dot tell you if someone has moved within the past 10 minutes, not if their currently online.

are you on this site as i type this? i wasn't when you posted yours.
    Dude. You responded to my first post within like 1 minute of my putting it up there. Sort of figured you are online at the same time. I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong though.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 04:47
    Eh. 12 minutes now that I look at it. Still pretty close though and we are both online now.

Question? How does someone that posts more than they play chess not like the idea of more instant messaging? I know you, I, and many others are on this site daily. Why not discuss instantly in the clans, forums, ect..? Maybe one of the reasons some of these forums are not more active is because people who post as much, or more, than they play chess find it a bit slow sometimes.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 04:56
    Eh. 12 minutes now that I look at it. Still pretty close though and we are both online now.

Question? How does someone that posts more than they play chess not like the idea of more instant messaging? I know you, I, and many others are on this site daily. Why not discuss instantly in the clans, forums, ect..? Maybe one of the reasons some of these forums ...[text shortened]... is because people who post as much, or more, than they play chess find it a bit slow sometimes.
    i just generally don't like instant messaging... 1on1 with friends on msn yeah but not on an open forum with many potential users. from my experience they get pretty retarded pretty fast.

why do you what them so much here... what's wrong with the way it is?

personally i think there's too many forums, which is why the forums aren't as active as they could be/once were.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 06:51
    i just generally don't like instant messaging... 1on1 with friends on msn yeah but not on an open forum with many potential users. from my experience they get pretty retarded pretty fast.

why do you what them so much here... what's wrong with the way it is?

personally i think there's too many forums, which is why the forums aren't as active as they could be/once were.
    So you do like instant messaging with friends? Have any friends on this site?

I never said anything was wrong here. You do realize this is not the 'I disagree with you forum', or the 'I'll twist your words around forum', but rather the site ideas forum. Have any ideas? Or just more disagreements.

Don't see how there can be too many forums. Just because you don't want them all does'nt mean others should'nt get to post if they want - and if you look people do post in them all.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 05:38
    So you do like instant messaging with friends? Have any friends on this site?

I never said anything was wrong here. You do realize this is not the 'I disagree with you forum', or the 'I'll twist your words around forum', but rather the site ideas forum. Have any ideas? Or just more disagreements.

Don't see how there can be too many forums. Just becaus ...[text shortened]... others should'nt get to post if they want - and if you look people do post in them all.
    occasionally yeah... and yes a few from this site. what's your point? all of those are 1on1 with people who i want to talk with... people who i knew etc. on the off chance that i did get into a decent conversation with someone on this site in the chat that you propose, what's the odds that some noob will came by and spam the place? pretty good i'd say.

point taken.. nope no idea, just here to disagree with yours. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  12. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 07:50
    occasionally yeah... and yes a few from this site. what's your point? all of those are 1on1 with people who i want to talk with... people who i knew etc. on the off chance that i did get into a decent conversation with someone on this site in the chat that you propose, what's the odds that some noob will came by and spam the place? pretty good i'd say.

point taken.. nope no idea, just here to disagree with yours. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    tiresome
  13. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 04:01
    I think Russ has avoided this in the past because people might join just for the instant messanger feature, making it less of a chess site and more of an ordinary chat room.
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 04:38
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I think Russ has avoided this in the past because people might join just for the instant messanger feature, making it less of a chess site and more of an ordinary chat room.
    Okay. But... what if this feature was only availible for subs and what if it was only so people could talk one on one, or just in the clan forums? Trev33 has suggested that this would be a spamathon in the general forum - as if it is not already, but I'm just curious about the different ways instant messaging could be used on this site. Perhaps there could be an instant messaging forum where a free for all of messaging could take place. Of course there are better and poorer ways any feature can be used so lets not just imediately focus on the worst possilbe senario and basically be scared of any sort of change - trev33. It is much more interesting to think about the different ways this or any other 'idea' can be explored and how best to use it instead of just dismissing it and being reactionary. This tends to be one of my main problems with the Site Ideas forum. People tend either to agree or disagree with an idea instead of talking about how it can be used or modified for best effect.

Incidentally I have a hard time believing Russ would be against any feature that would draw people to the site unless it was somehow offensive or damaging. Also, I have a very hard time believing people would come here just to chat when there are so many other much more obvious internet options. Would you choose redhotpawn.com to chat if you weren't a chess player? But.... the general forum does often seem like just a place to chat does it not - and always about something other than chess anyway. Perhaps the speed at which chatting online happens is not the issue. So why be against a faster option depending on how it is done?
  15. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyรณ!
    Moves
    05 Mar '10 20:10
    I just believe a chat room in blitz would be nice. With the observe game feature as well. Private game discussions could be done there live instead of going to "Only chess" forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree