1. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 12:13
    This must have happened to others and I wonder if there is some way to at least partially redress the balance. Through no fault of my own, I have been unable to get online for the past 10 days or so. This was not due to a holiday. Of course, when returning to RHP, I have lost many games including Clan games on time-out. rating plumeted.

Is there a way to restore at least some time-out games provided a suitable explanation can be given?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 12:591 edit
    Originally posted by znsho
    This must have happened to others and I wonder if there is some way to at least partially redress the balance. Through no fault of my own, I have been unable to get online for the past 10 days or so. This was not due to a holiday. Of course, when returning to RHP, I have lost many games including Clan games on time-out. rating plumeted.

Is there a way to restore at least some time-out games provided a suitable explanation can be given?
    I don't think so. Your loss of rating is another ones gain. If he lose the won points and the games are reinstated...? No, I don't think so.

When I am in the same situation as you, I go to the local library and use their public connection, or the the local internet-cafè, or to a neighbour, or something. If nothing more than to put up the vacation flag...
  3. e4
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 13:16
    I bet the answer to this is No.

I would have crossed hell and high water to get a move played or
    a vacation flag displayed.

Even if I could not gain access to the net I would have contacted
    someone who could, gave them my password and got them to hoist
    the vacation flag. (would that be classed as cheating?).

So.......

New Site Idea No. 1,239

Everyone should have access to everyone else's account.

That way you can surf from account to account and if you see a skull
    either make a move or raise the vacation flag.

How come nobody has thought of this before?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 16:561 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I bet the answer to this is No.

I would have crossed hell and high water to get a move played or
    a vacation flag displayed.

Even if I could not gain access to the net I would have contacted
    someone who could, gave them my password and got them to hoist
    the vacation flag. (would that be classed as cheating?).

So.......

[b]New Site Idea No.
    either make a move or raise the vacation flag.

How come nobody has thought of this before?
    [/b]How about an option to Raise Vacation Flag (check box / days)

If inactive (chess moves) for (9 days) My vacation flag would go up.

That way if for any reason I vanished I could at least burn through my vacation time if I NEVER CAME BACK to RHP.

So you just pick the setting, set the number of days you are comfortable with, and when you get back you make the moves you've missed and shut off your vacation.

Plausible?

P-
  5. e4
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 17:21
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    How about an option to Raise Vacation Flag (check box / days)

That way if for any reason I vanished I could at least burn through my vacation time if I NEVER CAME BACK to RHP.

So you just pick the setting, set the number of days you are comfortable with, and when you get back you make the moves you've missed and shut off your vacation.

Plausible?

P-[/b]
    That is a good idea.

A sort of sleeping alarm that re-sets itself everytime you make a move.

It could be an automatic thingummy that kicks in after 7 days.

Rec'd.

(Russ: I actually PM'd Phlabibit with that idea before he posted it
    so don't let him get all credit for it.)
  6. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 18:26

Plausible?

P-[/b]
    This is a great idea, regardless of who thought of it first! 🙂
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 19:03
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    That is a good idea.

A sort of sleeping alarm that re-sets itself everytime you make a move.

It could be an automatic thingummy that kicks in after 7 days.

Rec'd.

(Russ: I actually PM'd Phlabibit with that idea before he posted it
    so don't let him get all credit for it.)
    Don't Steal My Great Ideas©

😠
  8. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 19:44
    If it helps any, "Gameknot did it!". 🙂

During my brief foray on Gameknot, I overstepped the limit in a game and some sort of one-time automatic 7 day emergency extension snapped into place to prevent my timing out. It's different in execution from what's being discussed, but it's the same idea in principal.

So, we can implement Phlab's idea or just accept Gameknot's superiority in this area. No pressure Russ...😉
  9. e4
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 22:311 edit
    I gave Gameknot the idea. 😉

OK let us be serious for a post or two.

I'm not up for the auomatic vacation flag kicking in.

If the player wants this option then he must be a sub and then
    click a radio button saying if no move in 'x' number of days then
    vacation flag is raised.

x=number of days chosen by player.

Be good to hear arguments against it.

Fervarant 'Skull Crushers' will object.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 23:37
    Originally posted by Ichibanov
    If it helps any, "Gameknot did it!". 🙂

During my brief foray on Gameknot, I overstepped the limit in a game and some sort of one-time automatic 7 day emergency extension snapped into place to prevent my timing out. It's different in execution from what's being discussed, but it's the same idea in principal.

So, we can implement Phlab's idea or just accept Gameknot's superiority in this area. No pressure Russ...😉
    I'd prefer that RHP not do this, because there will always be people who just lose interest and quit the site. All their opponents will have to wait that much longer to claim timeout wins, and all the tournaments they are in will be held up that much longer as well.
  11. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 00:07

Plausible?

P-[/b]
    What happens to already booked but unused vacation time?

What happens when the player complains about his vacation time being auto used because he was only playing say 6 games and it was his opponents move and they hadn't moved for 10 days, or does it only come into play on your move?

Lets take it to the next extreme and have an automated move option (any valid move just to keep the game going) once the vacation time has run out.

Then we could look at the option of letting the site play all our moves for us.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 00:321 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall

What happens when the player complains about his vacation time being auto used because he was only playing say 6 games and it was his opponents move and they hadn't moved for 10 days, or does it only come into play on your move?

Lets take it to the next extreme and have an automated move opt ...[text shortened]... has run out.

I think that's a great idea. After all, it's probably intimidating for n00bs to have to play so many moves all the time. I say we help them out any way we can.

We could let an engine play for them if they need a break. We could set the appropriate handicap on the engine based on the rating of the player taking the break.

I mean, we've already got people, including site admins, telling people what moves to play under the guise of 'helping them with the rules', and now we've got people telling others when and how to claim skulls [again, under the guise of being 'helpful']. Again, who gives a crap about the integrity of the game? It's much more important that people not feel overwhelmed or confused while learning the ins and outs of chess on RHP.
  13. e4
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 02:05
    Yeah - the arguments against are pretty convincing.

Phlabibit this was your naff idea.

How do I unrec my rec?
  14. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 04:02
    Vacation talk is always contentious. This is usually the part where I start telling Phlabs what he can and can't do on his vacation. Hilarity ensues...

It's true...such a setup may lead to more vacation "abuse". But it may also let someone get through a real-life emergency without accidentally hammering their clan's league season into the ground or other such stuff.

So...

Cons: People may abuse this by setting it prior to leaving the site. It's already possible for such deliberate abuse to happen now, but the new system would make accidental abuse more likely since people may not remember they setup a safety net three years prior to their departure. So, some events are delayed up to 36 days per absentee player (there could be several in a large event) but will, eventually, conclude normally with a timeout.

Pros: People responding to a family emergency no longer have to remember to get to a PC during a stressful time to avoid being timed out. Timebank would seem to make this a remote issue, but it doesn't deal well with double whammies (IE death in the family during the 1/14 league followed by a second emergency after the first ate all your timebank). Auto-vacation mode would let people worry about the real problem without having to get to a PC to avoid mass timeouts.

Since I just had to deal with the double-whammy myself, I see more benefit here than harm. Maybe some Gameknot folks could chime in and let us know if the similar mechanism over there has created enough of a problem that it outweighs the benefit.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 18:56
    Originally posted by adramforall

Lets take it to the next extreme and have an automated move opt ...[text shortened]... has run out.

It's ALWAYS my move in my games.

If someone is worried that the feature is coming on too quick, they should enter another number. How can you complain about your vacation coming on too quick when your the one who set the number of days?

Also, there is no need to use the feature if you can't figure out a good number of days to set.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree