1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 18:592 edits
    Stub thread for any feedback.

Despite being labeled version "4", this is the first version of this app, so you may encounter problems. If you do, please describe the problem in detail in the above thread.

Note : Currently missing features include game analysis, and some social network sharing options, which will both be added in coming weeks for 100% Android feature parity
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 11:521 edit
    Initial impressions (mostly positive):

Flight test iPad app for RHP

Test bed is an iPad mini version 10.1.1 running over a local WLAN. I can also try it over a SIM card link, if you wish.

1. Download and installation easy and intuitive.
    2. Startup of app and login using existing account easy and successful.
    3. Site navigation easy and intuitive according to apple conventions: e.g., swiping to expose or hide menus works as expected.
    4. Vertical and horizontal display works as expected.
    5. "Player directory" scrolls as expected with finger swipe, but does not scroll if left menu pane is showing. Is this intended?
    6. Same applies to "open invites," "ladders," "player tables" and "tournaments": no scrolling when the left menu pane is showing.
    7. "My messages" function shows only those I have received, not those I sent.it would be nice to have the "read conversation " feature.
    8. "My games " feature does not seem to access games I have archived; it would be nice to be able access them.
    9. Very nice navigation in "my games" to scroll thru pending, my move, opponents move, etc. just please add "archived games " to the scrolling menu
    10. Setting board appearance and piece style under "preferences" works as expected.
    11. "Analyze board" and "conditional moves" features are missing; would be nice to have.
    12. "Set piece" new game feature with any initial board position is missing; would be nice to have.
    13. "Forums, clans, clubs, leagues" features are missing. I won't complain, but others probably will.
    14. iOS 2-finger pinching to magnify or minify text and images does not work. I appreciate that this feature may be independent of your RHP-specific code, but it would be very nice to able to enlarge portions of fine print.
    15. "Launch web app" works as expected. I guess if people really want the full "forums, clans, clubs" feature functionality, they can launch the web browser.
    16. All in, very good work. Pleasing interface, intuitive navigation. I found no bugs. The app didn't crash or hang.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 12:517 edits
    5. "Player directory" scrolls as expected with finger swipe, but does not scroll if left menu pane is showing. Is this intended?
    It is. Having re-tested on an iPad, I can see why that might not be desirable, so I'll take a look at fixing this - it should be possible even at this late stage

7. "My messages" function shows only those I have received, not those I sent.it would be nice to have the "read conversation " feature.
    This will be added in a future release. (To Android too)

8. "My games " feature does not seem to access games I have archived; it would be nice to be able access them.
    Only inbox games are available in the app. Again, this needs improving in future

11. "Analyze board" and "conditional moves" features are missing; would be nice to have.
    Analyze board is urgently need - the only way to review a game. This is in the next release. Conditional moves is another one for a future .

12. "Set piece" new game feature with any initial board position is missing; would be nice to have.
    One for the future too

13. "Forums, clans, clubs, leagues" features are missing. I won't complain, but others probably will.
    Clans may make it in the future, but not the clan admin

14. iOS 2-finger pinching to magnify or minify text and images does not work. I appreciate that this feature may be independent of your RHP-specific code, but it would be very nice to able to enlarge portions of fine print.
    This is a 100% native app, not a web app or even framed web pages, so unfortunately, it will not behave as you are expecting in this case. (Like Safari)

Thanks for the detailed feedback, very much appreciated.
  4. Prague
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 14:41
    I think the conditional move is a thing to have ASAP. Also, it would be nice to get a "back" button, or be able to set what should happen after you make a move, because if you make a move and then want to go for a conditional move, it is hard to find the precise game.

Ladders should be modified, I dont have any ladder in which i could challenge, but this lets me click on someone and start a non ladder game, i think this should be gone. Also the app crashed while I was in ladders.

I personally dont think looking at archived games is necessary in the app, I would however like to be able to archive games from it. Also I dont think "Pending Open Invites" should be one of the scrolling options, it is enough to have that on the menu.

It is a question whether "new game" is the most desired button to have in the top right corner at all times...

I will test more and see what pops up, these are just the first ideas.

I am running the app on an iPhone 6s, IOS 10.2.1
  5. Atlanta, GA
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 15:36
    I am not able to move at all in game. Otherwise everything looks great at first glance. Will update more as I have more time.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 15:44
    Russ,

The simplified UI, compared to the full-blown web browser UI, is good. We don't want or need more buzzers, bells, and whistles, as that would make navigating on a small touch screen unpleasantly awkward.

Cheers,
    moonbus
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 15:59
    Originally posted by Rastabadboy
    I am not able to move at all in game. Otherwise everything looks great at first glance. Will update more as I have more time.
    What appears to be the problem? You literally can't drag the pieces?
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 16:01
    Originally posted by Richius
    Ladders should be modified, I dont have any ladder in which i could challenge, but this lets me click on someone and start a non ladder game, i think this should be gone.
    Agreed - this is a confusing.

I'm not that happy with the ladder and tournament "pages" right now, but will revisit the UI for that at a later date.
  9. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 16:52
    I'm testing RHP on iPhone now. I'll try to do it on iPad too. I couldn't answer for the message during the move. The button didn't open any dialogue window.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 17:076 edits
    When I am reading a message or looking at someone's profile, and activate the < button (top left), it does not return me to the "my messages" or "player tables" list, it sends me to "my games". This is confusing. Maybe the link should be re-coded.

Oooh, the "my game" view shows which pieces have been taken over to the right of the board in horizontal mode, underneath the board in vertical mode. Very nice

Animated avatars are no longer working. Is this intended?

When I call up a player's profile, I can see a graph with links to his games. Clicking on a game-node in the graph then brings up the final position of the game, but I can't move backwards or forwards through the game. Is this intended? Would be nice to be able play through the games. That, or no links to games at all from the graph.

This is getting complicated, I know. ...
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 17:46
    Originally posted by metayes
    I'm testing RHP on iPhone now. I'll try to do it on iPad too. I couldn't answer for the message during the move. The button didn't open any dialogue window.
    Hmmm....that is strange. Which iPhone/IOS version?
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 17:48
    Originally posted by moonbus
    When I am reading a message or looking at someone's profile, and activate the < button (top left), it does not return me to the "my messages" or "player tables" list, it sends me to "my games". This is confusing. Maybe the link should be re-coded.
    Can anyone else confirm this - it really shouldn't do that, and I cannot reproduce this.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 17:502 edits
    Oooh, the "my game" view shows which pieces have been taken over to the right of the board in horizontal mode, underneath the board in vertical mode. Very nice

Animated avatars are no longer working. Is this intended?
    Yeah, the "landscape"mode will be improved in future, this was just a first step, and I wanted at least some support for screen rotation for iPad users.

And no more animated Avatars. They are not even supported on the web site anymore for new avatars.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 17:532 edits
    Would be nice to be able play through the games. That, or no links to games at all from the graph.
    This is the big missing feature for this release (Android has it). This will be added after the current clan issues have been addressed.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 18:322 edits
    I won't miss animated avatars. Some were an eye-sore.

Screen rotation seems to be working 100%; I've not noticed any glitches there.

BTW, the message log under "my games" shows both sides of the conversation, whereas the "my messages" features shows only half the conversation..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree