1. Not Kansas
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 04:37
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    You misunderstand the exe program. Though its pretty much come to conclusion that it wouldnt work as well on here as it would on a timed chess site. The exe would be great for Uchess as they have an even bigger engine problem than rhp. ANyway the exe thing just keeps programs from opening while you are on site. It doesnt detect them and say you are cheating.
    I think that's intrusive, I don't want any site telling me I can't open a program while on their site, I don't agree to that. I don't like that direction one bit, it's my computer and I will do with it what I want.
  2. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 14:11
    This hasn't much to do woth the cheat detector program discussed here..............
    Why claretnblue's post suggesting that Track uses an engine has been removed ,while Trackheads accusations are still alive in the Chess forum?
    Or you close both threads or you don't remove such posts at all.
  3. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:41
    I am here at RHP to improve my chess. Although I understand how irritating it can be to play against a cheating user, I do not want any features removed for the sake of "protection." If I ever encounter someone who I think is cheating during a game, I will PM a moderator to solicit help. If it is in a clan game, I will also PM my clan leader.

I think that the only tool you have to catch cheaters is analysis of a game using an engine configured the same as the suspected engine and look for statisitical correlation between the user's moves and the engine's. Who will do this? Unless it is automated and applied evenly, it will be unreliable and somewhat arbitrary.

I think it is a bad idea to require that I run a program that disallows service depending upon what I am running on my computer -- essentially dictating that I cannot use my computer in a way that is perfectly legitimate (as I do not cheat). I hope RHP does not go this direction.

4. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:55
    Originally posted by Ravello
    This hasn't much to do woth the cheat detector program discussed here..............
    Why claretnblue's post suggesting that Track uses an engine has been removed ,while Trackheads accusations are still alive in the Chess forum?
    Or you close both threads or you don't remove such posts at all.
    it was removed because it accused someone and all posts accusing people have been removed. Plus it wasnt wanted here anyway as it has nothing to do with the discussion we are having. Troublemakers arent wanted in this thread and thats all he was trying to do was start something. Everyone had ignored him anyway and continued with the discussion. I do think the other thread should be closed though but not up to me.
  5. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 18:02
    Originally posted by zucchini
    I am here at RHP to improve my chess. Although I understand how irritating it can be to play against a cheating user, I do not want any features removed for the sake of "protection." If I ever encounter someone who I think is cheating during a game, I will PM a moderator to solicit help. If it is in a clan game, I will also PM my clan leader.

I think ...[text shortened]... ay that is perfectly legitimate (as I do not cheat). I hope RHP does not go this direction.

The problem is that even showing that a persons move are exactly those of an engine isn't enough proof for the admins. The person would have to actually say they use an engine for anything to happen. You could PM who ever you wanted if you thought you were playing an engine it still wouldnt do anything. And the exe thing won't work for this site, someone had mentioned how the person could simply close the site and then open the engine to input the move and just keep going back and forth to cheat. The exe would only work on uchess because since the games are timed and closing the oage would lose the game for you it makes it effective. For here the only thing which looks good is simply removing ogn and fen for games in progress which both still available after the game is finished if its possible to do. Chrismo said that it couldnt be completely removed and still has yet to get back to me as to if it could be removed just for in progress games.
  6. ruislipwoods
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 18:55
    I have been beaten by a number of players and when I ask them what there elo ever was then they make all sorts of reasons why they have never played over the board but end up being so strong on this site.

I have drawn with a 2500 GM over the board and once reached the dissy hights of 2300 elo OTB. I am happy to put my record up to be counted. The reason my site grade is so low is that I drink and play to much and play to many games. (I do it for fun) I give my name not a handle and anyone playing in the London League, Thames league, Middlesex League, Hillingdon League, British League can find my grade. If I am still in the books.

I sometimes wonder if there is a way to put people's OTB on this site. Then I find a guy at work that beats me with ease but he has had a few nervious breakdowns and thus will only play OTB for fun.
    So bingo there goes my OTB idea. I don't have an answer but people can put their OTB grade into their profile. (Might help some people)

Just an idea.
  7. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '04 03:38
    well I just took care of my problem. I resigned my matches against human players that I know and who were low enough to quickly drop my rating. Now in my matches against engines for any draws I will get their points lol. Also with my countless matches against players ated around what I was rated a couple minutes ago, ill get about 20 points for a win and 10-15 points for a draw. Sorry to these people but I refuse to let the engine using players gain anything from me. Now just in case any people who know me or are in any of my clans or are clan leaders to any of my clans. You can pretend all you like that there aren't alot of engine users on here fact is there is. Any match I am given against an engine user I will resign, will probably drop my rating down to 1200 before I do so but I will resign those matches. Though I can and could have gotten to numbe 1 on the site and was already close to taaking over the #2 spot I simply dont care about my rating on some online chess site. Im not getting paid to have a high rting so who cares what mine is. I've already proven I am atleast among the 3 strongest players on the site. I have nothing more to prove. I'll be winning tournaments and help my clans move up by winning my clan matches but other than that I don't really care.
  8. An airport near you
    Moves
    02 Oct '04 11:14
    Well thanks very much - I now have four games I am almost certainly going to lose against a 1600 player. Great.
  9. Standard membercludi
    Blogger
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '04 20:13
    I've been following this thread from the start and must say it's both relevant and entertaining.
    Relevant, because I agree 100% with Trackhead: There's definitely a problem with too many engine users. I don't have the solution to this, and I don't think any of the posters in this thread have come up with a usable solution either.
    Entertaining, because I see a VERY good chess player who I've come to know as a friendly person as well, go absolutely nuts. I think you're overreacting, Trackhead. You've put a lot of energy into this thread and into fighting engine players in general (I got the mail about engine players you wouldn't play because I'm a member of the Jewish Clan). But did you put the same energy into thinking of the consequenses on resigning all your games against weak opp's and friends? I honestly don't think so...

1. I was playing you as you we're entering the top 3. You we're excited about it (very understandable) and I wished you all the best of luck in getting Ironman. This project is now somewhat further away.
    2. By continuing to play some opp's you really punish these people. Unless you're sure they're all engine players.
    3. Does your signing up several games stop engine use? No way.
    4. Have you considered the fact, that some people may now blacklist you? As I mentioned before, I like you and respect your game very much, but I don't want to play you right now - I have absolutely nothing to win, and a lot to lose. I don't think I'm the only player thinking like this.
    5. Your behaviour obviously shows that you think something is wrong, but as you mentioned in an earlier post, the admins need evidence to go after engine users. Did you provide any evidence? No...

Finally, I still wish you all the best of luck - hopefully still on RHP.
    We need strong players like you!

cludi

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree