1. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 19:38
    And also, FWIW, I *do* use a chess engine while logged into the site.

Given how long it takes to do a thorough analysis of a game, it's inevitable that crafty will be crunching a recently completed game in the background while I'm playing my current games in the foreground.

2. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 19:42
    Originally posted by RolandYoung
    A few problems with the "no FEN/PGN except finished games":
    1. Some people like to copy their current game to Winboard to try out lines of anaylsis without the pitfalls of the analysis board here. Others do so in order to print the game.
    2. If you use 'View source' on the analysis board, you will see FEN for every move of the game so far. The text ...[text shortened]... need to enter each move as it is made, using their engine to keep track of the separate games.
    the fact is it would deter a great deal cheating and I think a good amount of players would agree. True some people will find away to cheat anyway but by making it harder instead of leaving it as easy as it is now would be doing something.. And it would only mean getting rid of analyze board during the game after if would be accessible. People are probably more like to use the in progress pgn and fen to cheat than for h other name things. So as llong as it wouldnt be a headache for Russ it would be a good idea or atleast something to give a try and see how it goes.
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 19:51
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    the fact is it would deter a great deal cheating and I think a good amount of players would agree. True some people will find away to cheat anyway but by making it harder instead of leaving it as easy as it is now would be doing something.. And it would only mean getting rid of analyze board during the game after if would be accessible. People are probab ...[text shortened]... eadache for Russ it would be a good idea or atleast something to give a try and see how it goes.
    I use analyze board for most of my moves. Why on earth should it be dropped? Disable PGN/FEN for ongoing games if you think that it will help, but not analyze board.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 20:07
    Originally posted by TovMauzer
    I use analyze board for most of my moves. Why on earth should it be dropped? Disable PGN/FEN for ongoing games if you think that it will help, but not analyze board.
    I agree with TovMauzer; the analyze board is a very useful tool as well. If we can't get rid of the PGN/FEN in ongoing games without losing the Analyze Board, then I would have to withdraw my approval of getting rid of the PGN/FEN. I don't know enough about computers to know what's feasible, but I don't think that the great majority of players who are doing it fair and square should have this difficult game made more difficult because of a few cheaters.
  5. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 20:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 20:56
    hmm. after checking out no1marauders post, im beginning to realise that many of these "measures" that we are discussing that may be taken to try and reduce cheating are actually just taking away features of a site that we have all cmoe to love, for, what will be very little results in fairness.

in order to have a significant effect it would have to be made very hard to cheat - otherwise it would be virtually pointless. by the same token, we should ensure any possible solution does not involve making the site less user friendly. the honest majority should not suffer from the actions of a few cheats
  7. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 22:41
    Originally posted by pendejo
    hmm. after checking out no1marauders post, im beginning to realise that many of these "measures" that we are discussing that may be taken to try and reduce cheating are actually just taking away features of a site that we have all cmoe to love, for, what will be very little results in fairness.

in order to have a significant effect it would have to ...[text shortened]... e less user friendly. the honest majority should not suffer from the actions of a few cheats
    If it was possible to have analyze board without the pgn/fen then it would be ok correct? And I do understand what you mean would stink to lose alot of stuff I rarely use analyze board but do sometimes simply to look back at earlier moves in the game. Sometimes use it to refresh my memory of what I was doing in a given game.
  8. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 23:09
    If it was possible to have analyze board without the pgn/fen then it would be ok correct?
    No. The analyze board page is useful, but is not feature-rich enough to make it suitable for deep thinking.

I want PGN/FEN to export into a separate program which offers:
    1) Saving of variations
    2) Move validity sanity (I've lost track of the number of times I've had to start over because I bopped a piece out of play by misclicking and moving a blank square on top of it!)
    3) Material tracking as you examine variations
    4) Complex annotations
    5) ...

9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 23:35
    If it was possible to have analyze board without the pgn/fen then it would be ok correct? And I do understand what you mean would stink to lose alot of stuff I rarely use analyze board but do sometimes simply to look back at earlier moves in the game. Sometimes use it to refresh my memory of what I was doing in a given game.
    No,

I accessed the site using a landline at the start. Even getting all my games PGNs emailed to me, doing analysis offline and then logging on just to make the moves, I was still landed with a €70 phone bill one month.

D
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 23:37
    Yes, that's my position: it would could lose the PGN/FEN for ongoing games (I'd still want it for completed games) without losing the Analyze Board altogether that would be fine for me. Of course, the AB could be improved (it really is a pain when you mistakenly take a piece and then have to start over) but I for one use it all the time during mid and endgames. You know Track some of us mere mortals can't do it all in our heads everytime and this ain't OTB! So I'll let the computer geeks figure it out, but if we can make the cheating harder without making it tougher for us duffers, I'm all for it!
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 23:48
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    No,

I accessed the site using a landline at the start. Even getting all my games PGNs emailed to me, doing analysis offline and then logging on just to make the moves, I was still landed with a €70 phone bill one month.

D
    Ha! hai la bolletta telecom?
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 23:59
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Ha! hai la bolletta telecom?
    Non sono italiano, io sono irlandese. Ma ho una camicia italiana di gioco del calcio. Google è grande per le traduzioni.

: D
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 00:01
    😀
  14. Not Kansas
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 03:241 edit
    I posted this on "Chess" by mistake, but thinking about it further, if I think someone is beating me with an engine then I'll probably just not play them again
    One thing about using some kind of "spy" on the server to detect chess engines running while on the RHP site: What happens if user A is waiting for a move and decides to analyze a previously-played game while waiting? User A loads the old game into his/her favourite engine and is nailed for cheating. Not right, not fair and just wrong.
  15. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 03:52
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    I posted this on "Chess" by mistake, but thinking about it further, if I think someone is beating me with an engine then I'll probably just not play them again
    One thing about using some kind of "spy" on the server to detect chess engines running while on the RHP site: What happens if user A is waiting for a move and decides to analyze a previousl ...[text shortened]... into his/her favourite engine and is nailed for cheating. Not right, not fair and just wrong.
    You misunderstand the exe program. Though its pretty much come to conclusion that it wouldnt work as well on here as it would on a timed chess site. The exe would be great for Uchess as they have an even bigger engine problem than rhp. ANyway the exe thing just keeps programs from opening while you are on site. It doesnt detect them and say you are cheating.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree