1. Joined
    16 May '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 13:011 edit
    Seems a bit much to challenge and then have to wait 8-days for the opponents timebank to run out. If that must be the case the person not accepting hte Challenge shouild be removed from the ladder, for not accepting.

I like the ladder concept though
  2. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 13:22
    Originally posted by Madman1
    Seems a bit much to challenge and then have to wait 8-days for the opponents timebank to run out. If that must be the case the person not accepting hte Challenge shouild be removed from the ladder, for not accepting.

You have to accept a ladder challenge, you can not decline those challenges.
    You cannot refuse challenges and must defend your position.

If your opponent doesnt play at all, you indeed have to wait for the timebank to deplete befor you can claim the win. Like any other normal game. If you think 1/7 is to long you should suggest a ladder with a smaller timecontrol.

If someone by accident or personal issues gets timed out in a ladder challenge one time it seems rather harsh to directly remove him/her from the entire ladder. People who dont play their ladder games will 'quickly' drop to the bottom of the ladder. Inactive players will eventually be removed:
    Inactive players will be removed from a ladder if they have no games in progress and they have been inactive on the site for 60 days.
  3. Joined
    16 May '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 15:442 edits
    I think you just responded with saying what I said is wrong is how it is! There should either be a way to decline and immediately lose, or a 24 hour window to accept. As it is, I am now frozen for 8-days without the ability to challenge anyone else. Seems like there could be a way to avoid someone ignoring you who is making moves elsewhere.

My opponent is playuing everywhere else, but I am now "stuck" for 8-days.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=6886709&cbqsid=25250

At least give the challenger the ability to garbage can the game if the opponent does not respond.
  4. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 16:331 edit
    My opponent is playuing everywhere else, but I am now "stuck" for 8-days.
    Stuff like that happens...its a tough world.
    Your opponent only lost 3 minutes of his 7 days timebank, what makes you think he wont move at all? Your opponent is playing close to 200 games, maybe he only moves in games that have the timebank depleting...
    "Seems like there could be a way to avoid someone ignoring you who is making moves elsewhere."
    There isnt. Your opponent is fully within his right.

If you dont want to play games with a 1/7 timecontrol.... then dont play games with a 1/7 timecontrol.

I dont like your idea of a trashcan. If a challenger clicks the trashcan after 2 moves, and then re-challenges the same player and trashes after 2 moves again, etc. Then he can keep the defending slot of that opponent occupied. This shouldnt be able to happen. Clanchallenges or tournament games dont have a trashcan either. You chose to play that player.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 17:43

It could have been worse you could have joined the 21 day ladder. 😛

If you are not happy to wait for the time your opponent has you could always resign the game.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 14:36
    There should either be a way to decline and immediately lose, or a 24 hour window to accept.
    I don't agree, not at all.

Sometimes I'm out of town for a weekend or so. Right before I leave, I care for every game I have, knowing that the thinking time will decrement, and sometimes even the time bank to be reduced. No surprise here.

If your new rule will be applied, then I have to check my account once a day in order to not lose my place in the ladder. If I cannot do that, I'm out. Why? Because I had the bad luck to be challenged in a bad time for me.

I'm a member of all ladders, but the 1 day ladder. Just of the reason described above.

When I have 7 days to think, then I can be out of town up to a week. I don't want to get punished by the system if I don't check my RHP account every single day.

No. Bad idea!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '09 18:18
    I suggest that instead of eventually letting non subs play in normal ladders, it would make more sense to make one ladder that was only for non subs. Perhaps 0/3, as that seems to be the most popular version.
  8. Joined
    16 May '08
    Moves
    16 Nov '09 02:061 edit
    Sometimes I'm out of town for a weekend or so. Right before I leave, I care for every game I have, knowing that the thinking time will decrement, and sometimes even the time bank to be reduced. No surprise here.

If your new rule will be applied, then I have to check my account once a day in order to not lose my place in the ladder. If I cannot do that, I'm out. Why? Because I had the bad luck to be challenged in a bad time for me.

I'm a member of all ladders, but the 1 day ladder. Just of the reason described above.

When I have 7 days to think, then I can be out of town up to a week. I don't want to get punished by the system if I don't check my RHP account every single day.

No. Bad idea!

that is what the vacation feature is for.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '09 07:26
    that is what the vacation feature is for.
    I'm not wasting the my precious vacation days to what 'could' happen.

Why treat ladder games differently than other games? 3/7 games is supposed to take three days before the time bank kicks in. And another 7 days berfore the skull appear. So don't play the 3 days ladder if you don't like that.
  10. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    16 Nov '09 16:32

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If your opponent doesn't move within the allotted
    time (which you agreed to by joining the ladder) then you can claim timeout victory in 8 days.
    That's a gift to you. Free ladder climb. Icing on the cake. Bubble-gum and sno-cones.
    Rainbows and butterflies. Happy happy day.

That's the great thing about the timeout option on this site. By rule, there is never a game
    when anyone can refuse to move within agreed upon time limits without the threat of losing the
    game by timeout.
  11. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 22:18
    I've been finished with the game I initiated the challenge for a day or so now...but all the 10 spots above me are busy defending. I check back often in hopes of catching an open slot to challenge.

Suggestion 1: option to receive notification when any of the 10 higher rungs become available to challenge.

OR,

Suggestion 2: if all 10 rungs are occupied with defense above me, open the next higher available defender to a challenge, even if it's 16 or 25, etc. rungs above. Then you'll always have the opportunity to keep the ladder moving.
  12. Subscriberpakeha
    pakeha
    New Zealand
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 09:52
    I will go further to say I have finished one of my Challenges with a win and nearly 12hrs have lapsed and still not movement up for me
  13. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 14:25
    Originally posted by pakeha
    I will go further to say I have finished one of my Challenges with a win and nearly 12hrs have lapsed and still not movement up for me
    This was a problem but has been fixed Thread 122494.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '07
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 22:52
    How about ladders where there can be two challenges at the same time.

Therefore, you can challenge two people above you, and you are forced to accept challenges from 2 players below you?
  15. Fichtekränzi
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 16:47
    I have the same problem.
    I challenged a person and didn't check, that he has last moved 26 days ago.
    In the 1-day ladder. So he lost the last 3 games by timeout.
    He a non-subscriber and I think, he will never move again here.
    Why not remove a player from a ladder after he has lost let's say two
    games with timeout on the first move?
    Else he will sink down to the bottom of the ladder by dozens of timeouts

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree