Ladders

Ladders

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ontario, Canada

Moves
04 Mar 11

It would be nice to increase the number of positions that you can challenge (from 10) to something like 15 or 20. It's particularly boring starting at the bottom of the ladder and waiting for 10 games to finish. A larger number would provide a little more selection and opportunity.

Ray

Merced, CA., USA

Moves
05 Mar 11

You don't have to wait for ten games to finish . . . as long as there is someone within ten spaces above you that has an opening for a challenge, you can challenge them. The idea is to play games . . . so does it matter if someone is ten, or fifteen, or twenty spots above you? My beef is with guys that are on the ladder and don't challenge at all. I've been waiting for two months on the 7 day ladder for someone below me to challenge me, and there have been guys within ten of me with openings for that entire period. Good luck.

Ontario, Canada

Moves
05 Mar 11

I understand that. All 10 players above me are already defending, and by looking at each of their games (in a 7-day timeout ladder), I'm going to be waiting a LONG time. That's why I was making the suggestion. There's a better chance that 1 in 15 (or 20) players above me are going to be idle. That's what's frustrating me so much.

Merced, CA., USA

Moves
05 Mar 11

Ah . . I see your problem. Well . . perhaps you might be surprised . . . either a game will end suddenly, or when positions are shuffled at the end of the week, someone will jump up above you with an open challenge slot. Good luck.

Ed (Frijole)

Moves
05 Mar 11

I find on my 3 day ladder, a month or more can go by without a challenge but that may be due to my rating? I usually pick on the player that would give me the best jump regardless of rating. This gives me a chance to play higher rated players which is good. So far when I finish a game there is usually more than one player ready to pick from. I think I shall join the seven day ladder and see how quick I can catch Ed!!!

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
06 Mar 11

Originally posted by rmajoran
It would be nice to increase the number of positions that you can challenge (from 10) to something like 15 or 20. It's particularly boring starting at the bottom of the ladder and waiting for 10 games to finish. A larger number would provide a little more selection and opportunity.

Ray
😕

How will a bigger jump make a difference?

If the 10 players above you are being challenged it is not also likely that they too will be challenging the 10 players above them?

Increase the number to 15, 20, 30 and it is likely the same scenario will prevail just on a larger scale.

That is the problem with longer time control games, they take longer too play, moving up the ladder is therefore slower.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
06 Mar 11

Originally posted by Sirveyor
I find on my 3 day ladder, a month or more can go by without a challenge but that may be due to my rating? I usually pick on the player that would give me the best jump regardless of rating. This gives me a chance to play higher rated players which is good. So far when I finish a game there is usually more than one player ready to pick from. I think I shall join the seven day ladder and see how quick I can catch Ed!!!
Sometimes the best" jump" may be better serves by seeing which player your potential opponent is playing.

You might find that your opponent say in 300th place could advance you 10 places but the player in 303rd, is playing someone who was initially in 297th but has recently won two challenges and is now in 278th place.

If you challenge the person in 303rd place and in the meantime they beat their opponent, they jump from 303rd to 278th. If you then beat them you jump from 303rd to 278th place.

Sometimes the biggest one game jump, is not necessarily the biggest jump you can attain.

Merced, CA., USA

Moves
06 Mar 11

Hello Sirveyor! I hope you can catch me . . . I still need revenge for all the drubbings you've given me!!

Ontario, Canada

Moves
06 Mar 11

Originally posted by adramforall
😕

How will a bigger jump make a difference?

If the 10 players above you are being challenged it is not also likely that they too will be challenging the 10 players above them?

Increase the number to 15, 20, 30 and it is likely the same scenario will prevail just on a larger scale.

That is the problem with longer time control games, they take longer too play, moving up the ladder is therefore slower.
I'm not a math wizard, but it would seem to me that you are more likely going to find a game in a 20 player pool than a 10 player pool, because you are increasing your chances by 10 players that one of those 20 players are going to be done their games. And just because they are challenging doesn't mean they are defending.

Moves
06 Mar 11

I see the ladder as a chess game itself. I too check out the most active player and the one who seems to have a good chance in their challenge and the one thats the highest. You are right that the variables do not always line up but I have advanced almost 30 points in one month with my system of going for the highest as my first priority. I guess I could check out their games in progress too.

Moves
06 Mar 11

OK, I am in the 7 day ladder now; see you in a year or 3, hehe!!

Merced, CA., USA

Moves
07 Mar 11

Originally posted by Sirveyor
OK, I am in the 7 day ladder now; see you in a year or 3, hehe!!
OK . . . bring it on buddy! It shouldn't take too long to catch . . and pass . . me . . . but that assumes that people are making challenges. See you in . . . hmmmmm . . . lets say May!

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
22 Mar 11

Indeed. I left the ladder I was on after realizing my subscription would expire before I even moved up 100 spaces. What's the point? I'm sticking with tournaments.

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
24 Mar 11

I agree. I dropped off the 7-day and 14-day ladders because it was just going to take too long to go anywhere. I'm also finding I'm rarely being challenged on the 3-day.

I think the number should be moved from 10 spots to something like the maximum of either 10 spots or 20% of your current position.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
24 Mar 11

My two pence:

* Most people will challenge people they find a chance of beating. This means that (comparatively) high rated players won't be challenged as much as lower rated ones.
* If you want to rise fast challenge people who are active, which will give you a good chance to have a fast game plus, they are the same who will finish their challenge games.
* I can't complain about my challenges.

Cheers