1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jul '13 23:59
    Perhaps thumbing up and down should have a limit. At the moment I'm not sure of how many thumbs one should get, but lets just start with something like 3 thumbed up and 3 thumbed down a day.
    Anyone else have a problem with forum thumbing? While I admit it's not a huge concern, for me it's just one aspect of this site that would make it better for me. (Mind you, I'm well aware that not everyone shares my opinions 😉 . )
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Jul '13 02:07
    I used to visit the "recommended" page but no longer do, the whole "thumbs" process seems to have destroyed it, because good threads can be removed by a determined thumb-down attack. Either that, or nobody's posting anything worth recommending any more. I'd like them to bring back the old recommendation system and get rid of thumbs altogether, they just encourage mindless facebooking activity.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jul '13 04:461 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Perhaps thumbing up and down should have a limit. At the moment I'm not sure of how many thumbs one should get, but lets just start with something like 3 thumbed up and 3 thumbed down a day.
    Anyone else have a problem with forum thumbing? While I admit it's not a huge concern, for me it's just one aspect of this site that would make it better for me. (Mind you, I'm well aware that not everyone shares my opinions 😉 . )
    There are posts on the first page of the recommended list with only 2 thumbs up. Seems like it's already limited enough.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '13 05:58
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I used to visit the "recommended" page but no longer do, the whole "thumbs" process seems to have destroyed it, because good threads can be removed by a determined thumb-down attack. Either that, or nobody's posting anything worth recommending any more. I'd like them to bring back the old recommendation system and get rid of thumbs altogether, they just encourage mindless facebooking activity.
    I agree here.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 21:53
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    There are posts on the first page of the recommended list with only 2 thumbs up. Seems like it's already limited enough.
    whats the limit then?
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 00:10
    whats the limit then?
    People's stinginess.
  7. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 00:29
    Mind you, I'm well aware that not everyone shares my opinions 😉 . )
    Shared opinions or not, they must be curious about you though...

I posted a link on 'help' last week, entirely unrelated to this topic I'm afraid, but I wanted to share it with you... in amongst all the waffle it indicates that your handle is the FIFTH 'most popular keyword' on RHP lol...have a look for yourself, it's about half way down:
    http://www.statsbyte.com/domain/redhotpawn.com

Russ founds the income stats rather comical, so perhaps the whole thing should be treated with a touch of 'haughty contempt' 😀
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 02:41
    That whole list is a bit off, when you actually read it. I'd say none of the data on that site is safe from suspicion.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jul '13 14:38
    Please keep in mind that in the past especially, those threads receiving the most votes weren't necessarily "good" threads.
  10. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    18 Jul '13 22:39
    That whole list is a bit off, when you actually read it. I'd say none of the data on that site is safe from suspicion.
    Yes, awful isn't it, I rather feel a lot of their data is just made up...Russ obviously agrees lol...
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Jul '13 11:22
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Shared opinions or not, they must be curious about you though...

I posted a link on 'help' last week, entirely unrelated to this topic I'm afraid, but I wanted to share it with you... in amongst all the waffle it indicates that your handle is the FIFTH 'most popular keyword' on RHP lol...have a look for yourself, it's about half way down:
    http://w ...[text shortened]... ical, so perhaps the whole thing should be treated with a touch of 'haughty contempt' 😀
    Thanks for that. Considering it's my real name, I'm somewhat flattered, but mainly just confused.
  12. old pueblo
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 23:09
    They used to be limited. I don't remember that making anything better. For me it was more frustrating.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 00:171 edit
    "Recommended" had the same weakness as "thumbs", in that you could get your team/clan/gang to block-vote, but at least it was only a block-vote in favour and didn't happen often. "Thumbs" gives mean-spirited people the opportunity to gang up on a particular person and potentially drive them off the site. I've stopped reading the "recommended" since thumbs appeared, because it's no longer a page of interesting posts.

I've said all that before, but nobody cares, it seems. Does anyone still bother to read "recommended" page?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 12:00
    "Recommended" had the same weakness as "thumbs", in that you could get your team/clan/gang to block-vote, but at least it was only a block-vote in favour and didn't happen often. "Thumbs" gives mean-spirited people the opportunity to gang up on a particular person and potentially drive them off the site. I've stopped reading the "recommended" since thumbs a ...[text shortened]... but nobody cares, it seems. Does anyone still bother to read "recommended" page?
    no
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Aug '13 14:33
    "... because good threads can be removed by a determined thumb-down attack."

Wonder what motivates the perpetrators.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree