1. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 23:492 edits
    Since there are oh so many idiots creating a new account to post idiotic messages in the forums, it might be a good idea to impose a minimum number of moves before one can post.

100, maybe 500?

maybe even 50 will suffice.
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 01:54
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Since there are oh so many idiots creating a new account to post idiotic messages in the forums, it might be a good idea to impose a minimum number of moves before one can post.

100, maybe 500?

It's mostly one idiot, but it's still a great idea.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 04:04

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 04:26
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    It's mostly one idiot, but it's still a great idea.
    Really? Only one idiot?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 04:27

6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 07:38
    Even if there were a minimum move criterium, that number of moves are easily collectable.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 08:42
    This has been discussed and subsequently shot down many times before, but I agree.

If a person subscribes he should be allowed to post wherever he likes, but new, non-subscribing users should only be allowed to post in the Help Forum until X number of moves were made.
    This person should only be allowed to create 1 thread per day until X number of moves have been completed.

Solve for X....

I also think 50 moves is a good number.
  8. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 08:49
    Originally posted by Crowley
    This has been discussed and subsequently shot down many times before, but I agree.

If a person subscribes he should be allowed to post wherever he likes, but new, non-subscribing users should only be allowed to post in the Help Forum until X number of moves were made.
    This person should only be allowed to create 1 thread per day until X number of moves have been completed.

Solve for X....

I also think 50 moves is a good number.
    They can open two accounts, play each other in a few minutes and then post.
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 14:301 edit
    How about this?

For new non-paying members, make it a combination of a minimum number of moves and also add a waiting period of a few days or weeks before allowing full access to regular forums. Legitimate new members probably will not have a problem with that policy.

or better yet,

Simply ignore the trolls. Just alert the post if it really bothers you, so a moderator can deal with it. If there are no responses to the troll posts, boredom will quickly set in and the author will move on to some other site.

just a couple of thoughts
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:39

11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 16:05
    Agree and rec'd
  12. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 17:40

100, maybe 500?

I think the Hit Squad is a better idea than this. Could be more enjoyable if there is a camera (wo)man nearby with access to YouTube or alike.
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 17:44
    Originally posted by coquette
    Really? Only one idiot?
    Most of the recent flood of posts by newbies with no moves are the same person. It's safe to say he's created maybe 20 names in the past week, proof that one shouldn't let one's meds run out.

Pawny -- sitting in an airport 😕
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 19:19

100, maybe 500?

There are some chess problem enthusiasts in the puzzles forum that have not moved at all, or made very few moves. They neither spam nor troll. This proposal would unfairly stop them from posting.

The main flaw in the proposal is that RHP is not just a chess site. The various forum categories alone show that. RHP is clearly trying to appeal to a wider audience than just chess players.
  15. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 20:00
    I certainly think new players should have posting rights in Help. I had loads of stupid questions to ask when I first joined that were answered really patiently by people like Miss O. I think greenpawn34 has made some very valuable contributions in Chess. I guess similar arguments could be made for Posers. It might be an idea to restrict people's access to General, but only for their own protection.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree