1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 14:312 edits
    Given that the 'Only Chess' forum is meant to be about chess, and that there are plenty of other forums for off topic remarks, petty sniping, the pointing out of grammatical errors, and so on, would it be possible for this forum to be moderated more tightly? belgianfreak's thread on his first OTB win, or the 'Jean Hebert helps' thread, are perhaps examples when off topic replies have detracted from promising threads. For all the positive things the other forums bring, I imagine that having an on topic chess forum would be no bad thing for a chess site.
  2. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 16:14
    Originally posted by T1000
    Given that the 'Only Chess' forum is meant to be about chess, and that there are plenty of other forums for off topic remarks, petty sniping, the pointing out of grammatical errors, and so on, would it be possible for this forum to be moderated more tightly? belgianfreak's thread on his first OTB win, or the 'Jean Hebert helps' thread, are perhaps examples whe ...[text shortened]... ring, I imagine that having an on topic chess forum would be no bad thing for a chess site.
    I would agree
    !
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 18:09
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    I would agree
    !
    How come the reply is worthy of more recs than the suggestion?

Anyway.. i digress. Any increase in modding should see an equal decrease in a different forum (e.g. General where some users are going so far as contacting the site owner directly to report posts!).

In summary:

Tightly modded 'only chess' = un-modded 'general'

Youknowitmakessense!
  4. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 18:54
    Maybe moderators should spend more time moderating threads really worthy of moderation,not closing threads without an apparent reason a giving dull reasons for it.

Thread 38532
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 13:43
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Maybe moderators should spend more time moderating threads really worthy of moderation,not closing threads without an apparent reason a giving dull reasons for it.

Thread 38532
    I agree with T1K, Only Chess should do exactly what it says on the tin.

Ravello has a point as well. I've never had a problem with moderation on the site, but I found the way BF closed those threads a little annoying. They were both active, and if he wants to close 1 of them, with a link to the other, then fair enough. It just doesn't make sense to close them both when they were active, and his reasons for closing came across, to me, as though there was a bit of power tripping going on.

Russ modded correctly in this thread Thread 38826 , and helpfully included a link to the thread which he left open.

D
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 15:29
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I agree with T1K, Only Chess should do exactly what it says on the tin.

Ravello has a point as well. I've never had a problem with moderation on the site, but I found the way BF closed those threads a little annoying. They were both active, and if he wants to close 1 of them, with a link to the other, then fair enough. It just doesn't make sense to cl ...[text shortened]... readid]38826[/threadid] , and helpfully included a link to the thread which he left open.

D
    To be fair, he contacted me about it immediately and we had a talk about how I should proceed.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 21:00
    Originally posted by dottewell
    To be fair, he contacted me about it immediately and we had a talk about how I should proceed.
    Create another thread? 😉

D
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 21:36
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Create another thread? 😉

D
    Nah, he told me to join Gameknot.

(JOKE.)
  9. The Great North
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 03:16
    Originally posted by T1000
    Given that the 'Only Chess' forum is meant to be about chess, and that there are plenty of other forums for off topic remarks, petty sniping, the pointing out of grammatical errors, and so on, would it be possible for this forum to be moderated more tightly? belgianfreak's thread on his first OTB win, or the 'Jean Hebert helps' thread, are perhaps examples whe ...[text shortened]... ring, I imagine that having an on topic chess forum would be no bad thing for a chess site.
    Note: LIGHTEN UP!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree