1. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 11:40
    I'm curious to know if the people that say they don't like move reminders from opponents are already set to receive email notification as soon as their opponents move and it's the additional reminder that they object to? I have chosen not to receive move rnotification, and hardly ever get player move reminders either.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 11:561 edit
    I don't often recieve move reminders either (The only ones I've had in recent memory were from you). Sending them to me serves no purpose. Trust me, I'm not going to 'forget' to move in my games.

Perhaps the real trouble is not the move reminders but when they can be sent. For example I have a friendly 7/7 game against hopscotch going on now. He last moved just over 48 hours ago. I have the option of sending him a reminder. It's a 7/7 game. He has nearly 5 days before his timebank starts decreasing. Why would he need a reminder now?

If they could only be sent when the opponent's timebank was decreasing (exception for 0/x tournaments) then I think they would be much more useful and less annoying.
  3. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 11:58
    Well, I've come to the conclusion that the most effective move reminder is the Skull! 😛
  4. In your face
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 14:161 edit
    Xanthos : - 'If they could only be sent when the opponent's timebank was decreasing (exception for 0/x tournaments) then I think they would be much more useful and less annoying.'

I suggested this a few eeks ago but nothing ever came of it. My suggestion for the site ideas forum is to get rid of the site ideas forum cos no one takes any notice of it.
    😛
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Xanthos : - 'If they could only be sent when the opponent's timebank was decreasing (exception for 0/x tournaments) then I think they would be much more useful and less annoying.'

I suggested this a few eeks ago but nothing ever cam ...[text shortened]... id of the site ideas forum cos no one takes any notice of it.
    😛
    Irony being no one will take any notice of your suggestion to remove the forum.

EDIT: That might not actually be irony. It's too early in the morning to be sure.
  6. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 14:26
    I just find it amusing that some people can't stand reminders and yet some people want immediate auto-popups. Just goes to show you can't please all of the people, all of the time. 😉
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 14:51
    Originally posted by Exy
    I just find it amusing that some people can't stand reminders and yet some people want immediate auto-popups. Just goes to show you can't please all of the people, all of the time. 😉
    Move notifications serve a very useful purpose. Move reminders do not. Apart from using them as a psychological weapon to pee off your opponent.

D
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 15:051 edit
    So my initial post here is right - you have elected to get move notifications so it cheeses you off when you also get move reminders?
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 15:16
    Yup. Its great to know straight away when an opponent has moved, especially if its a game that you're really into at the time, ie: maybe you're in the middle of some plan which is taking shape.

The Move Reminder to me is akin to an opponent saying 'Come on already, Move' in an untimed OTB game. Some games have to be studied extensively, and for me, I need to be in the right mood to develop plans in games that I'm not too sure what my or my opponents objectives are.

That's why I usually move a bit slower in games that I'm loosing than in games that I'm winning. It has nothing to do with preserving rating points.

D
  10. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 15:191 edit
    I understand now and I can see why they irritate you. I am going to have to change my profile to read that I do not - under any circumstances - send move reminders and that I take timeouts asap.

EDIT: new profile in place. 😏
  11. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 22:41
    I'll just chime in here and agree. If the game is a 7/14 it does'nt make much sense to have a move reminder on the third day.
  12. In your face
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 23:10
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I'll just chime in here and agree. If the game is a 7/14 it does'nt make much sense to have a move reminder on the third day.
    I give you rec and agree. Hey! Russ, are you listeneing to this one?
  13. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    24 Jun '05 18:11
    I don't like move reminders myself. I don't think many paying members really forget about their games unlike non-subscibers. I don't move-remind other people unless they are non-subscribers because they tend to lose interest of this website every now and then. A reminder serves its purpose, it really is a reminder after a forgotten act.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 12:09
    I won't cry any tears if they are scrapped right away. I never send them and I have my mail filter set to delete any mails with 'Move reminder' in the subject field.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree