1. Joined
    21 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 15:58
    It would be nice to be able to choose the language for menu, buttons, system messages, faq, and so on (i.e. for the whole site, except for forums - obviously).

I don't think it will be difficult to find, in our community, players with the ability - and the time 😉 - to do some translations in their own language.

I can give my support for Italian translation (even if I can't promise I will do this work too speedy).
  2. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 16:32
    You mean some people are too lazy to learn english. too bad for them.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 16:42
    Originally posted by Gnorphy
    It would be nice to be able to choose the language for menu, buttons, system messages, faq, and so on (i.e. for the whole site, except for forums - obviously).

I don't think it will be difficult to find, in our community, players with the ability - and the time 😉 - to do some translations in their own language.

I can give my support for Italian translation (even if I can't promise I will do this work too speedy).
    Good idea, I was thinking about it myself before. Should be an easy enough implementation as well.

D
  4. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 16:48
    it is a good and old idea, but as Russ releases very frequently new versions it is quite a lot of work maintaining that...
    But perhaps... we keep nagging! 🙂
    th
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 07:41
    Originally posted by thire
    it is a good and old idea, but as Russ releases very frequently new versions it is quite a lot of work maintaining that...
    But perhaps... we keep nagging! 🙂
    th
    As i can see, the site is developed in PHP.
    Using variables like $MyGames instead of steady strings like "My Games" any newer release will still have the correct translations.

After each new release, one must only translate the strings added in that release.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 11:301 edit
    I did lead an internationalisation project once before in a previous job. And I had a team of translators - at least one for every language.

Now, I learned a lot from that experience, and it was mainly this - you kill the innovation on a site when you have to chase translators (yes, every single one of them) to give you new text for even the smallest change. The more languages supported, the worse it gets…

So, this is not something that hasn't been considered, but I hope I have convinced you, it really is not in the site's best interest to pursue this. I shudder just thinking about it…

Sorry.

-Russ
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 12:00
    I tryed to develop a very little mulilanguage application in JAVA and so I met properties-files. There you can translate what you want, everything that is not translated will be (in this case here) English. But the main part should be Italian, Spanish, German, ...
    Could be feasable! 🙂
    th
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by Gnorphy

I don't think it will be difficult to find, in our community, players with t ...[text shortened]... slation (even if I can't promise I will do this work too speedy).
    If you browse with Mozilla Firefox and have enough interest in this feature, you can spend some time developing your own Firefox extension that does this for you.

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/tutorials/tinderstatus/

You'll essentially create and maintain a list of text substitutions from English to Italian that you want, and then write some code to instruct the browser to perform them when visiting RHP.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree