Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 26 Jan '06 12:33
    It would be much easier to allow us to identify our nationalities by title rather than by the use of 'flags'. Many of the latter are so confusingly similar as to make it very difficult to discriminate.
  2. Standard member Chakan
    Oro!
    26 Jan '06 12:34
    Originally posted by Nargaguna
    It would be much easier to allow us to identify our nationalities by title rather than by the use of 'flags'. Many of the latter are so confusingly similar as to make it very difficult to discriminate.
    Put it in your profile... or click on the flag to see where it represents.
  3. 26 Jan '06 12:52
    Originally posted by Chakan
    Put it in your profile... or click on the flag to see where it represents.
    It would be nice if the name of the country were put in the alt and title attributes of the img-tag. That way, when you move your mouse over the flag, the name of the country would appear below the mousecursor.
  4. Standard member Chakan
    Oro!
    26 Jan '06 12:58
    Originally posted by stocken
    It would be nice if the name of the country were put in the alt and title attributes of the img-tag. That way, when you move your mouse over the flag, the name of the country would appear below the mousecursor.
    Yup that would be nice.
  5. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    26 Jan '06 13:13
    Originally posted by stocken
    It would be nice if the name of the country were put in the alt and title attributes of the img-tag. That way, when you move your mouse over the flag, the name of the country would appear below the mousecursor.
    Russ welcomes all kinds of assistance.

    Thread 14257

    So work your magic.

    D
  6. 26 Jan '06 13:40
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Russ welcomes all kinds of assistance.

    Thread 14257

    So work your magic.

    D
    Gotti2000 already requested the mouse over on flags. The thread is closed. Besides, I'm sure Russ knows how to add an alt and title attribute to the img-tag. Surely, there's a reason for him not doing it as it's quite simplistic.
  7. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    26 Jan '06 13:42
    Originally posted by stocken
    Gotti2000 already requested the mouse over on flags. The thread is closed. Besides, I'm sure Russ knows how to add an alt and title attribute to the img-tag. Surely, there's a reason for him not doing it as it's quite simplistic.
    Time? Its quite simplistic to update the flag list as well, but Russ' time may be better spent on more important things.

    D
  8. 26 Jan '06 15:05
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Russ' time may be better spent on more important things.
    Quite right.
  9. 27 Jan '06 17:38
    Originally posted by Chakan
    Yup that would be nice.
    That would be ideal.
  10. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    30 Jan '06 13:08
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Time? Its quite simplistic to update the flag list as well, but Russ' time may be better spent on more important things.

    D
    The truth is that it just complicates database queries, and therefore impacts site performance. Also, it adds weight to each page for what is largely redundant information.

    Out of every thousand requests you make to this site, how often would you hover over a flag to see the country name?

    I am planning more a slightly more interesting landing page when you click a flag soon anyway, so the extra click should be worthwhile.

    -Russ
  11. 30 Jan '06 15:56
    Would it be possible to name the flags 'Ireland.jpg', 'Spain.jpg', etc. rather than '1436.jpg', etc.? Then you could right click, save picture as and the name of the country would come up.
  12. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    30 Jan '06 16:44
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Would it be possible to name the flags 'Ireland.jpg', 'Spain.jpg', etc. rather than '1436.jpg', etc.? Then you could right click, save picture as and the name of the country would come up.
    Would it not be quicker to just click the flag?

    (or 'shift' click it to view in another window?)

    -Russ
  13. 30 Jan '06 18:49
    Originally posted by Russ
    Would it not be quicker to just click the flag?

    (or 'shift' click it to view in another window?)

    -Russ
    The problem is that it takes ages until all the flags are loaded, and if you are unlucky and the flag is somewhere at the end, you'll have to search through a page of flags which are so small and so close to each other that it's hard to find the correct one.
  14. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    30 Jan '06 22:02
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The problem is that it takes ages until all the flags are loaded, and if you are unlucky and the flag is somewhere at the end, you'll have to search through a page of flags which are so small and so close to each other that it's hard to find the correct one.
    Fair point, which is why the new improved landing page once a flag has been clicked, will prove to be much better

    -Russ
  15. Standard member David C
    Flamenco Sketches
    30 Jan '06 23:14
    ...or just move to a country with an unmistakable flag. Pansies.