1. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 18:07
    The flags are worse. I'm not a nationalist or anything, I just like to know where the person I'm playing comes from, and to be reminded where I come from...
  2. Amsterdam
    Moves
    25 Oct '09 11:44
    A nice look, but..

When I open the clan page, I have to scroll to the right to see all details, did not have to do that before..
    Same with the Tournaments page..
  3. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 17:33
    Could we have a convenient button to show which tournaments we're in? As it is we have to click on an individual tournament game and go from there...
  4. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 19:47
    I love the new look (I use the TimeForChess variant - relaxing green and yellow theme). Once the columns are squeezed in a bit for those users who can't see them all, and the flags enlarged a bit it will be great!

I also endorse the request for easier visibility of the tournaments we are in. 🙂

Compared to this time last year the enhancements have been major. Well done.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 23:56
    Originally posted by Mixo
    I love the new look (I use the TimeForChess variant - relaxing green and yellow theme). Once the columns are squeezed in a bit for those users who can't see them all, and the flags enlarged a bit it will be great!

I also endorse the request for easier visibility of the tournaments we are in. 🙂

Compared to this time last year the enhancements have been major. Well done.
    Yes, that would be the biggest enhancement for me . . . just highlight the tournaments where i'm still in, and then be able to go and find where i am right away. That would be great.
  6. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 13:45
    Originally posted by Russ
    Since today's release I could offer an API for common site functions (see the iPhone client for an idea of what I mean), but does anyone really want to do this?
    An API would be great! I take this to mean that anybody could write a client to interface with the site? That would be very cool.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 13:50
    When looking at an RHPer's previous 'public forum posts', it was far better having about 20 clickable page numbers across the bottom than having only "1 . 2 . >>> last ." or whatever.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 16:36
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    An API would be great! I take this to mean that anybody could write a client to interface with the site? That would be very cool.
    Yes, but I would have to be quite satisfied that someone (preferably, a number of people) were quite serious about writing a client before I published an API.
  9. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 21:53
    Originally posted by Russ
    Yes, but I would have to be quite satisfied that someone (preferably, a number of people) were quite serious about writing a client before I published an API.
    It may be less of a risk to make the API support only the most basic functions: log in, list current games, show current game state, and submit move.
  10. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 00:45
    Doh !! what is API
  11. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 01:46
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Doh !! what is API
    From wikipedia: "An application programming interface (API) is an interface that a software program implements in order to allow other software to interact with it; much in the same way that software might implement a user interface in order to allow humans to interact with it."

An API for this site would allow anybody to write a program to handle the interface instead of browsing to the site. You could do things like play your RHP games on a 3D animated chess board, or link it to a voice recognition system and speak your moves. An iPhone developer could make a standalone RHP app.

If you run your own mail server, you could develop a system that would let you make moves by replying to emails. Or maybe chess-by-voicemail?

I think the sky's the limit, once you publish the API. I think Russ could make the API as simple as possible and let the external developers do all the heavy lifting.
  12. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 10:22
    Originally posted by alohatiger
    From wikipedia: "An application programming interface (API) is an interface that a software program implements in order to allow other software to interact with it; much in the same way that software might implement a user interface in order to allow humans to interact with it."

An API for this site would allow anybody to write a program to handle the ...[text shortened]... make the API as simple as possible and let the external developers do all the heavy lifting.
    Gotcha
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '09 10:35
    The amount of letter space in the Self Proclaimed Title box seems to have been reduced by a wince inducing degree. Was this necessitated by the the new design or is it possible to restore (or even increase) the number of letters that can be used?
  14. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 21:461 edit
    I'd just like to go on record about the format of the pages. I use a 15" mac powerbook laptop, I think the columns are too spread out. I never had to scroll sideways before now. It gets confusing sometimes. I'm sure I'll adjust and live with it. I guess it works better if you have a big, wide monitor.

Is there a way to adjust the width from our preferences? Some things change as I change my window size: The icons: my games, new games, open invites, etc. The rectangle links: my clan, all clans, etc.. The red line clicks: my home, my settings, new game, etc. The text boxes in the forums also adjust to size.

Anything underneath that seems to stay the same no matter how big or small you make the window.
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '09
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 12:38
    I often like to download a game position and load it into winboard rather than use the "analyse board" function. I've always thought it took too many clicks to do that (it would be nice to be able to download the pgn or fen with one click directly from the game page).

Now that the info window has a new bar at the top it's necessary to scroll down to get access to that part of the window. Could we at least make the window a bit bigger to compensate?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree