1. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 11:36
    Thread 120886 It means I have no games to move but when I log in I have 3 games waiting.
  2. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 12:35
    The British flag is worse, too. It looks like a dirty English flag now. And what is this "wait for move" button that has appeared in the lower right hand side of the screen?
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 13:04
    It means you dont need to keep refreshing games to see if it is your move just use the timer and it will let you know it is your move. Great addition to the site.
  4. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 13:48
    Oh I see. But why couldn't they make it beep or something too? You still have to WATCH the screen even if you no longer need to refresh.
  5. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 14:12
    The 'wee green dot' is now huge. Is this meant as an enhanced anti-cheat mechanism? 🙂

I vote for the return of the spinning stars. I will never get there myself, but those who have deserve this badge of site devotion.

On the plus side, despite the loss of screen real-estate, I do like the slightly bulkier look of the icons and column headers. Much easier on my aging eyeballs. And it may be my imagination, but site response seems a bit snappier.

Russ, given the amount of time people have spent on things like Greasemonkey scripts and firefox plugins to enhance and change the site, have you ever considered simply making the whole thing skinnable? It'd be a bit of upfront work but would be a good way to let you focus on function and leave the appearance up to individual tastes.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 14:20
    Originally posted by Ichibanov
    Russ, given the amount of time people have spent on things like Greasemonkey scripts and firefox plugins to enhance and change the site, have you ever considered simply making the whole thing skinnable? It'd be a bit of upfront work but would be a good way to let you focus on function and leave the appearance up to individual tastes.
    Since today's release I could offer an API for common site functions (see the iPhone client for an idea of what I mean), but does anyone really want to do this?
  7. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 14:37
    Actually, I'd be fascinated by an API which gave direct access to some clan leader functions. Would such an interface allow the creation of an RHP iPhone app for clan management features?

As for the skinning thing, sexy UI's aren't really my bag but I'd bet there are a few out there with both the talent and ability to take a shot at it.
  8. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 15:00
    I'm sorry if I sounded too critical in my last couple of posts. Keep up the good work!
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by Ichibanov
    The 'wee green dot' is now huge.
    I shrunk it a little and re-coloured. It was bothering me too.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 15:39
    can you add something that hides the little games toolbar? i can't see everyone using this and it would be nice to hide it as it does get in the way a bit.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 15:431 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    can you add something that hides the little games toolbar? i can't see everyone using this and it would be nice to hide it as it does get in the way a bit.
    Yes, this will be available this weekend hopefully.
  12. Joined
    14 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 16:16
    I like the new look but the stars dont spin anymore.They have a clan called spinning stars...so you have to let the stars spin!
  13. Standard memberrandolf
    Emperor
    London
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 16:36
    I really don't like the new site format. It looks too chunky as if designed for children or simple minded folk to use.
    There have been too many changes to the site layout. If it aint broke, don;t fix it!!
  14. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 17:39
    Originally posted by randolf
    I really don't like the new site format. It looks too chunky as if designed for children or simple minded folk to use.
    There have been too many changes to the site layout. If it aint broke, don;t fix it!!
    I agree. Perhaps the changes should have been made and added to a new name so that

timeforchess - no change
    redhotpawn - no change
    new name -change

Noobs using the new name could then not complain as that is what they would be used to.
  15. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 17:44
    My first impression with the new format was that I didn't like it. But then I just remembered I usually don't like changes when I first see them, because it means I have to take time to learn the new format. I usually find that after a short time the irritating things disappear and I start to pick up on the advantages. I just try to remember that the new format was tested and there's probably some things that are better - maybe simpler, or faster, or whatever. The main thing too, is that it's always possible to go back. So, we give it a fair try and give feedback.

All in all, keep up the great work Admins (Russ and Chris and all your helper elves (pawns?)!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree