1. Standard memberyavash
    lovin the sea breeze
    Up North!
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 06:16
    i have to say i'm not that keen on the new format - why fix what wasn't broken. Nevermind, still wanna play....
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 06:26
    Originally posted by yavash
    i have to say i'm not that keen on the new format - why fix what wasn't broken. Nevermind, still wanna play....
    Give it a week, then you'll forget how it was before. I can't guarantee that of course, but a sudden change like this takes a little while to become familiar.
  3. Standard memberyavash
    lovin the sea breeze
    Up North!
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 06:34
    i know.... i am a bit of an old granny sometimes.... this is a moan-lite cos i know deep down i have the capacity to accept change 🙂 no doubt you'll have to put up with more. cheers
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:58
    Originally posted by yavash
    i know.... i am a bit of an old granny sometimes.... this is a moan-lite cos i know deep down i have the capacity to accept change 🙂 no doubt you'll have to put up with more. cheers
    I'm too old for change,
    I've a limited range.
    Some are like that
    and want the old format.

Maybe it will grow on me.
    Hard to tell, wait and see.
    The page looks like it's too close.
    For a while I felt a bit morose.

Have to sit back to take in all the view.
    The board is so large it nearly hits you.
    It's true to say the old way was fine,
    blue skin, green skin, both were mine.

This new page is centralized,
    no longer web format I realized.
    Reckon I'll try it for a bit
    and hopefully I'll get used to it.

Just like you I'm not all that keen.
    I know really what you mean.
    But I suppose it's for the best.
    I hope it didn't cost as much to lay Thatcher to rest.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 12:31
    I don't like the new format either. Never understood what was wrong with the old format either. Why would anyone think this is an improvement?
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 18:15
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I don't like the new format either. Never understood what was wrong with the old format either. Why would anyone think this is an improvement?
    -drag and drop piece movement
    -forum posts don't have so many characters on one line on a wide display (more than 80 on a line is hard to read)
    -easier access to FEN/PGN, right from the game board

I think it's a step up.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 22:38
    Harder to navigate, colors and contrasts are poor, and the piece selections are weak. The screen is compressed instead of utilizing the full screen.

I disagree about the improvement.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 23:01
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Harder to navigate, colors and contrasts are poor, and the piece selections are weak. The screen is compressed instead of utilizing the full screen.

I disagree about the improvement.
    I see no substantial differences in navigation, colors or piece selections between versions. And the 'compressed' screen is a good thing.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 23:101 edit
    Living through an update of any program seems to follow several stages, almost like the grief counsellors give us.

Denial - I'm going to keep playing on the old format.
    Anger - why did they do this to me?
    Bargaining - if something isn't done I'll leave.
    Depression - it's always going to be like this.
    Acceptance - it's not really all that bad, all the facilities are still there, and I've found ways to do everything I used to do.

- and if I haven't, there's always the Help Forum
    - and if enough of us can build a thread in Site Ideas we can start asking for a whole lot of new stuff, like an updated Games Explorer ...
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 23:19
    My first reaction is negative. That's maybe to be expected. We'll see. But for sure, while I'm giving it time, there's lots of other things to do. I won't reccomend the site again for a while
  11. Joined
    27 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 May '13 00:46
    Have been a subscribing member for eight plus years. When I awoke this AM, I had nine active games. I have since resigned them all & cancelled my subscription auto-renewal.

TYVM! to *ALL* who have played with me over the years.

If I should ever wake up in hand-held mobile device user mode, I will return.

Don't hold your breath.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '13 02:22
    Originally posted by Russ
    Give it a week, then you'll forget how it was before. I can't guarantee that of course, but a sudden change like this takes a little while to become familiar.
    It felt clumsy and slightly baffling yesterday for a few hours. Now, 24 hours later, I give it two thumbs up. Well done!
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 May '13 04:01
    Originally posted by snowblind2
    Have been a subscribing member for eight plus years. When I awoke this AM, I had nine active games. I have since resigned them all & cancelled my subscription auto-renewal.

TYVM! to *ALL* who have played with me over the years.

If I should ever wake up in hand-held mobile device user mode, I will return.

Don't hold your breath.
    😴
  14. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    01 May '13 08:30
    i'm surprised the forums don't reload automatically! other than that i love the new site a bit bland in color tho.
  15. Standard memberwarchessky
    Warchessky
    Albuquerque, NM
    Moves
    01 May '13 08:34
    I agree. Upgrade almost sucks. Too many bugs to mention. Now need to slide and capture pieces by hand on analysis board and that's if I can get to it at all. Jeez!! Colors awful as well as board and piece choices. Members should be given choice to upgrade or not. I really enjoyed this site but now may leave. I will give it a few more days.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree