1. Joined
    25 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 13:49
    Perhaps this has been discussed before, I would like to have an option when I put out an open invite that subscribers only can accept.

This is prompted by an unpleasant recent experience: I put out an open invite which was accepted by a player for whom the game was his very first on the site. He obviously had no idea how the site works because he soon started sending me messages to 1)move faster, 2) have the decency to let him know how long the game was going to take, and 3) a complaint -after I had made my last move that day- that it was impolite to stop playing and not let him know! I had wasted his valuable time! (I wrote back several times POLITELY explaining the concept of the site and suggesting he try uChess). Hence my question above which would be a way to avoid such people in the future.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 15:23
    Originally posted by plaines
    Perhaps this has been discussed before, I would like to have an option when I put out an open invite that subscribers only can accept.

This is prompted by an unpleasant recent experience: I put out an open invite which was accepted by a player for whom the game was his very first on the site. He obviously had no idea how the site works because he soon sta ...[text shortened]... he try uChess). Hence my question above which would be a way to avoid such people in the future.
    Why not have an option for polite opponents only too.
    There are impolite subs too. Just check who you are playing before you start if it worries you that much. [you could always name the game "subs only"]
    Lots of subs refuse to play against non-subs and that is understandable but once a non sub has played here for a while and knows the ins and outs, it should make no difference. I'm a non sub and I don't really like playing against provisional players in case they don't finish the game. [I still play them though]
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 15:25

This is prompted by an unpleasant recent experience: I put out an open invite which was accepted by a player for whom the game was his very first on the site. He obviously had no idea how the site works because he soon sta ...[text shortened]... he try uChess). Hence my question above which would be a way to avoid such people in the future.
    One of the things I positively hated before subscribing was that so many wanted to play subscribers only. Why? Oh, and another thing, what's all this "> 1500", "< 1000" and all that about? If someone with a lower or higher ranking whishes to play you, why not? If (s)he's better than you you'll learn something, and if (s)he's not on your own level you will teach him/her something.

As a subscriber you can have so many games going so it won't really matter.
  4. Joined
    25 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 15:30
    If I don't want to play a freeloader like yourself I should be able to specify that from the outset.
    And impolite "subs" is not the point here. Please reread my message and try another reply that's on topic.
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 15:58
    If I don't want to play a freeloader like yourself I should be able to specify that from the outset.
    And impolite "subs" is not the point here. Please reread my message and try another reply that's on topic.
    Yes, rude people can be so annoying, can't they?
  6. Joined
    25 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 16:46
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Yes, rude people can be so annoying, can't they?
    Off topic, my friend.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 16:581 edit
    When someone new comes here they may not understand the whole concept of the site - you should be more patient. You say that it happened recently to you, so no big deal, if it happened often your whingeing could be understood.

Why didn't you simply ignore his messages?
    Oh I know why - you are the argumentative type, as shown by this thread.
  8. Joined
    25 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:06
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    When someone new comes here they may not understand the whole concept of the site - you should be more patient. You say that it happened recently to you, so no big deal, if it happened [b]often your whingeing could be understood.[/b]
    I don't see how asking to have an option to play subscribers only makes me a "whinger". And if the guy continues to complain after I've explained things to him, then I think a certain annoyance is appropriate.

Perhaps I should start another thread about this, but what has always annoyed me about these forums is how quickly the comments become off topic and ad hominem attacks take over (I'm sorry I called you a freeloader, but why not take out a subscription?).
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:071 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    When someone new comes here they may not understand the whole concept of the site - you should be more patient. You say that it happened recently to you, so no big deal, if it happened [b]often your whingeing could be understood.

Why didn't you simply ignore his messages?
    Oh I know why - you are the argumentative type, as shown by this thread.[/b]
    Be that as it may, a filter so that subs can leave out non-subs of their open invites doesn't seem unreasonable; you can already filter out by ratings, so why not? Many subs don't want to play non-subs for various reasons. They can always delete the games, but making them do so when they didn't want to play a non-sub in the first place is a waste of both players' time.
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:21
    Off topic, my friend.
    Well then your entire second paragraph was off-topic. And you chose the topic, my friend.
  11. Joined
    25 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:37
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Well then your entire second paragraph was off-topic. And you chose the topic, my friend.
    Could you run that by me again?
  12. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 19:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Be that as it may, a filter so that subs can leave out non-subs of their open invites doesn't seem unreasonable; you can already filter out by ratings, so why not? Many subs don't want to play non-subs for various reasons. They can always delete the games, but making them do so when they didn't want to play a non-sub in the first place is a waste of both players' time.
    Please explain to me what various reasons a subscriber may have for not playing a non-subscriber. Because I really don't get this conversation.
  13. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 20:001 edit
    Originally posted by stocken
    Please explain to me what various reasons a subscriber may have for not playing a non-subscriber. Because I really don't get this conversation.
    Most non-subs are quite unreliable. If you open a game in the open invites section, there's a very large chance that it'll be accepted by a nonsub and 60% chance that you'll win by time-out or that the nonsub deletes the game because he/she is disappointed that you move too slow for them.
  14. Joined
    25 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 20:39
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Most non-subs are quite unreliable. If you open a game in the open invites section, there's a very large chance that it'll be accepted by a nonsub and 60% chance that you'll win by time-out or that the nonsub deletes the game because he/she is disappointed that you move slowly.
    Exactly! And then they become rude and aggressive. An option to only play subs in open invites is an idea whose time has come.
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 23:51
    I would like a filter on sent games for non-subs. I get maybe 2 or 3 games sent a day. Never with a message just appearing in my inbox. Almost always by non-subs I've never heard of or who have been on the site for a few weeks at most.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree