1. Joined
    24 Mar '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 14:05
    I had an idea that, in the chess inface- near where it says whether you're in check or whatever- we could have a line where it says what opening was used. It might just be helpful when you're analysing your games.
    Just an idea though.
  2. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 14:54
    Originally posted by the one00
    I had an idea that, in the chess inface- near where it says whether you're in check or whatever- we could have a line where it says what opening was used. It might just be helpful when you're analysing your games.
    Just an idea though.
    And then again maybe not
  3. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 15:35
    Just an idea though.
    Or helping one out with teaching name callings of the openings. I would like that.
  4. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 16:15
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Or helping one out with teaching name callings of the openings. I would like that.
    Incase you didnt see, this has been posted lots before (including by me)

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=34999
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 16:28
    Just an idea though.
    Great idea.

This could link into an opening database with names and classifications of openings, that users could browse through outside of games. It'd be even better if we could browse through all users games on here as well, with the opening being named in each game.

D
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 16:29
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    Incase you didnt see, this has been posted lots before (including by me)

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=34999
    Completely different idea.

D
  7. Joined
    24 Mar '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:09
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Great idea.

This could link into an opening database with names and classifications of openings, that users could browse through outside of games. It'd be even better if we could browse through all users games on here as well, with the opening being named in each game.

D
    Yeah, if we had a databse with a lot of openings on it, it would help the less experienced, like me, learn good openings.
    I dont think that it would be that hard to set up, but I'm no computer genius.
  8. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:18
    Yeah, if we had a databse with a lot of openings on it, it would help the less experienced, like me, learn good openings.
    I dont think that it would be that hard to set up, but I'm no computer genius.
    Or not and you could study tactics instead of 'learning good openings'
  9. Joined
    24 Mar '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 17:35
    Originally posted by Santa Drummer
    Or not and you could study tactics instead of 'learning good openings'
    Aren't openings tactics?
  10. Standard memberSanta Drummer
    I AM INNOCENT
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 18:08
    Aren't openings tactics?
    Isnt cheese endgames?
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Dec '05 18:10
    Aren't openings tactics?
    http://www.chesstactics.org/

D
  12. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 09:24
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Great idea.

D
    I think this is a great idea, It would be cool to look at it and also to find statistics for things like the most common openings on RHP. For the database to be useful though, there would need to be a filter for player rank. I wouldn't want to consider statistics for an opening in which my games were a part of the numbers, at lower levels, the outcome doesn't have as much to do with the opening I think.

It might be a lot of work for Russ though, so maybe just the naming thing after all, at least for the short term.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 10:20
    I would think it was less important to know the names as long as you can suss the right moves. Could be handy though.
    I have seen on some chess sites where it comes up on the screen what opening has been used.
  14. Joined
    24 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 15:12
    That was what I had in mind- they have something like it on instantchess.com
    For it to work though, it would need to have a database; which as people have said, could be a lot of work for Russ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree