option for the careless

option for the careless

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
07 Apr 15

some uf us see the blun der when submitting...

I would like to suggest to add an option, namely a clock which is actiavted when clicking submit, which counts down from five to zero and only submits really when zero is reached. If the button is clicked in that time, the move is not submitted.

This would allow some of us to see if they really improve when forced to wait for five seconds 🙂

All who don't want it don't get it.

You can think of that option as a different way to look at an Analyze Board.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Apr 15

Could the person with the thumb down please point out their problem?

What we really need is good critic on suggestions.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Apr 15

Am not the chap who gave the thumbs down, but i think if someone finds they are regularly realising they have blundered, after clicking the submit button, then they really need to take longer planning their next move (use the analysis board etc) and resist the temptation of impulsive moves that often lead to trouble. - We shouldn't reach the stage where we need an extra 5 seconds to avoid a blunder. By the time we click submit, we should already have a solid understanding of the position. - I think we need to encourage this in correspondence chess.

No doubt i will now go and blunder in a game, and realise it just as i hit submit.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
09 Apr 15

Originally posted by Ponderable
some uf us see the blun der when submitting...

I would like to suggest to add an [b]option
, namely a clock which is actiavted when clicking submit, which counts down from five to zero and only submits really when zero is reached. If the button is clicked in that time, the move is not submitted.

This would allow some of us to see if they really i ...[text shortened]... it don't get it.

You can think of that option as a different way to look at an Analyze Board.[/b]
This won't help, because people will start seeing the blunders after the 5 second countdown. The actual problem is with the player's mental discipline - if there is still doubt, sit on your hands! (I speak from recent experience, having made several impulsive, atrocious moves in games here 😞)

Australia

Moves
09 Apr 15

Here's an anecdote. Someone (not me!) dropped my tablet, and now it's little neurons don't quite work. I submit a move, and in 25% of moves it goes nowhere, so I'm forced to press stop, refresh and make the move again. In the meantime I can observe my blunders and avoid repeating them.

It hasn't improved my rating yet, but I'm still hoping. It's like having training wheels when you're learning, improves your morale and self-confidence a bit, doesn't necessarily make you learn any better or faster.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
09 Apr 15

Originally posted by Ponderable
Could the person with the thumb down please point out their problem?

What we really need is good critic on suggestions.
...and couzld the person giving that post a thumb down explain their motifs...

Here

Moves
09 Apr 15

What happens when after 5 seconds you still make an error
Do you want another 5 seconds and another 5 seconds and another 5 seconds
You made a mistake get over it!!!

Mozart

liverpool

Moves
12 Apr 15

Originally posted by padger
What happens when after 5 seconds you still make an error
Do you want another 5 seconds and another 5 seconds and another 5 seconds
You made a mistake get over it!!!
Spot on. You cant take a move back OTB, so why should anyone have that option here. I'm here to win games, so if my opponent makes a mistake >TOUGH.

Moves
12 Apr 15

I would like a submit button that isn't clickable until I have made the best move. 🙂

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Apr 15

Originally posted by jertamev
I would like a submit button that isn't clickable until I have made the best move. 🙂
Yes, we would all like one of those. 🙂

Moves
13 Apr 15

The moment when we notice the blunder is the moment of finality. By delaying the moment of finality, our brain will not reach that point until the final tick. That's my speculation, as that of any other. We have not tested this under a controlled environment to observe the outcome.

Lately I've developed a habit of looking at more complicated games again later, sometimes the next day. I think it helps me, but I don't have any concrete evidence to back that up.

j

Moves
10 May 15

Originally posted by steve45
Spot on. You cant take a move back OTB, so why should anyone have that option here. I'm here to win games, so if my opponent makes a mistake >TOUGH.
First off, I am not in favor of the take back option & there are a number of times when I could have benefited from it, but to compare playing here to OTB is just crazy.

Mozart

liverpool

Moves
11 May 15

Originally posted by jsweaz
First off, I am not in favor of the take back option & there are a number of times when I could have benefited from it, but to compare playing here to OTB is just crazy.
Im not comparing OTB to correspondence chess. Im saying that I don't want to go down the road where we start taking moves back. Its just not chess. It would be like a football team winning 1 -0 after 80 minutes and then asking the referee to blow for full time. And would someone feel good about themselves if they went on to win the game, after an opponent had let them take back a bad move. I would'nt want to win like that.

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by steve45
Im not comparing OTB to correspondence chess. Im saying that I don't want to go down the road where we start taking moves back. Its just not chess. It would be like a football team winning 1 -0 after 80 minutes and then asking the referee to blow for full time. And would someone feel good about themselves if they went on to win the game, after an opponent had let them take back a bad move. I would'nt want to win like that.
Neither would I. Besides, that's no way to learn.