1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    15 Feb '05 17:23
    Maybe a pedantic point but I think it should be amended. If you look at this link it explains about pawn promotion.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=pawnpromo

The line:

"When a pawn reaches the opposite side of the board it can be promoted to one of the following:"

Should really read:

"When a pawn reaches the opposite side of the board it has to be promoted to one of the following:"

I remember someone asking about pawn promotion and getting a little confused, thinking that promotion is not necessary (even though I cannot think of any situation where you would not want to promote. 🙂 )

Lau
  2. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    15 Feb '05 17:501 edit
    either that, or they should put the option to extend the board so that the pawn can keep going.. maybe onto another board where you could use an extra pawn..
    maybe have the option of turning him around and start back.. kind of like doing laps..
  3. Joined
    05 Aug '04
    Moves
    15 Feb '05 22:33
    Promotion? Doesn't it just fall off the end.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Feb '05 23:17
    Originally posted by Grandmaster bater
    Promotion? Doesn't it just fall off the end.
    That made me LOL.
  5. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '05 02:21
    Originally posted by MIODude
    either that, or they should put the option to extend the board so that the pawn can keep going.. maybe onto another board where you could use an extra pawn..
    maybe have the option of turning him around and start back.. kind of like doing laps..
    I thought you click on the 'king me' button and then play with an extra king or however many pawns you get kinged.
  6. Northern Virginia
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 05:34
    "King me" for pawns was in the original chess rules. But with the advent of modern chess piece shapes, the pawns--with their little, rounded heads--could no longer stay stacked up, so our modern "pawn promotion" rule was substituted.
  7. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 09:58

that's lengths, not laps. unless you want the poor little bloke going all the way round the outside ...
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 11:47
    Originally posted by Dr Rocks
    "King me" for pawns was in the original chess rules. But with the advent of modern chess piece shapes, the pawns--with their little, rounded heads--could no longer stay stacked up, so our modern "pawn promotion" rule was substituted.
    I always liked to king my kinged Pawns. I got five on top of each other one game!
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 11:48
    Originally posted by lausey
    Maybe a pedantic point but I think it should be amended. If you look at this link it explains about pawn promotion.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=pawnpromo

The line:

"When a pawn reaches the opposite side of the board it can be promoted to one of the following:"

Should really read:

"When a pawn reaches the opposite side of th ...[text shortened]... y (even though I cannot think of any situation where you would not want to promote. 🙂 )

Lau
    Well if you're trying to get a stalemate, you might not want to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree