Pay per Move Chess

Pay per Move Chess

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
29 Dec 05
1 edit

There must be a unit 'cost per move' on this site, known to the powers that be.

For those that cannot afford the existing subscription fees then maybe the offer of a pay per move subscription (at a rate determined by the above + profit margin) would allow unlimited games, tournament entries etc at a known cost per move, allowing the user to tailor their play to their own financial situations.

Those choosing this option could either purchase moves in advance, then top these up as move credit runs low, or have a rolling credit facility assigned to a bank account / credit card so the cost of the moves made in any given month is charged back the following month.

You know it makes sense!

SD
I AM INNOCENT

WRONGLY BANNED

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by rhb
There must be a unit 'cost per move' on this site, known to the powers that be.

For those that cannot afford the existing subscription fees then maybe the offer of a pay per move subscription (at a rate determined by the above + profit margin) would allow unlimited games, tournament entries etc at a known cost per move, allowing the user to taylor their play ...[text shortened]... moves made in any given month is charged back the following month.

You know it makes sense!
Plonker?

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by Santa Drummer
Plonker?
Why so? Surely if everyone only pays for what they use against a fair pricing structure then this makes more sense than the current regime which is so favourable to those living in the developed world with rich parents?

t

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by rhb
[b]There must be a unit 'cost per move' on this site, known to the powers that be.
There must also be a unit 'profit per move'. That's fair enough, everyone is happy.

Also, non subs contribute by increasing the money advertisers will pay to advertise on the site. If lots of non subs start to leave, advertisers, who are very interested in the exposure of their ad won't pay as much each year.

d

Moves
29 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by twiceaknight
There must also be a unit 'profit per move'. That's fair enough, everyone is happy.

Also, non subs contribute by increasing the money advertisers will pay to advertise on the site. If lots of non subs start to leave, advertisers, who are very interested in the exposure of their ad won't pay as much each year.
There is no money in internet advertising. That is one of the many reasons why sub fees here are so low.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by twiceaknight

The pricing would need to be such that the Non-subs who sub on a pay per play basis more than cover the advertisement revenue lost.

Hristos voskrese

feckin' 'ell

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by rhb
The pricing would need to be such that the Non-subs who sub on a pay per play basis more than cover the advertisement revenue lost.
Not a bad idea, but what might work better is a small fee to enter certain tournaments like the 2006 championship?

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by leestatic
Not a bad idea, but what might work better is a small fee to enter certain tournaments like the 2006 championship?
You know that's not a bad idea at all!! If players could pay $1.50 or something to enter a tournament (which would allow them to go over their 6 game limit), then people who are not willing to subsctribe might actually contribute a little to the site. 🙂

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by marinakatomb
You know that's not a bad idea at all!! If players could pay $1.50 or something to enter a tournament (which would allow them to go over their 6 game limit), then people who are not willing to subsctribe might actually contribute a little to the site. 🙂
My guess is that many of the non-subs are non-subs because they are under 18 and don't have access to a credit card. Whether they have to pay $1 or $100 they are just as unable to pay it.

They need to invent a USB money slot like on vending machines, it would just shred up the cash and then wire the money to the recipient 😀

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
30 Dec 05

Originally posted by marinakatomb
Why are players trying to get the site more expensive?

If Russ isn't happy with the money the site is making, he'll increase the cost of subscription. And lots more people would still join the site, and a lot would still subscribe.

I don't understand the mindset which is trying to force players to have to pay for a service which the provider of the service is happy to provide for free.

The crap that I read in the other thread tonight is an example of pure economic snobbery. Some would have others work harder for absolutely no reason what so ever. Unbelievable. 🙄

D

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
30 Dec 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak

If Russ isn't happy with the money the site is making, he'll increase the cost of subscription. And lots more people would still join the site, and a lot would still subscribe.

I don't understand the mindset which is trying to force players to have to pay for a service which the provider of the s ...[text shortened]... would have others work harder for absolutely no reason what so ever. Unbelievable. 🙄

D
Not sure if that is aimed at the original suggestion Rag, but in response...

My original suggestion is not to force players into paying for a service which the provider of the service is happy to provide for free.

Look upon it as a middle ground, pay a little - get a little.

Much of the argument put forward by Non-subs seems to be that it is not fair they should not have access to tournies, or send so many messages etc 'cos of their economic position.

Much of the subs argument is if you wants it you gotta pay for it.

A happy medium would be pay per play, allowing users to access as little or as much of the site as they wish, whilst still offering a full subscription for full access, and non-subscription as an entry level service.

Slightly more complex to adminster I admit, and unlikely to solve things in the long run as I suspect the means of payment issue is stronger than imagined, whilst typically whenever concessions are made for people they will generally find something else to moan about.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
30 Dec 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak

I don't understand the mindset which is trying to force players to have to pay for a service which the provider of the s ...[text shortened]... would have others work harder for absolutely no reason what so ever. Unbelievable. 🙄

D
Please explain to me how i just made the site more expensive. I simply suggested that if a non subscriber wished to enter one tournament, they could have access to that one tournament for a small fee. What's the problem with that?

Jay D

London

Moves
30 Dec 05

I think the idea is great....it would open a new source of revenue to rhp and to us in managing how we pay...

I am an operations consultant and have worked on a similar idea in the past....

it really depends on how Russ manages the banking facilities which will determine minimum unit purchase as the number of transactions will increase...

Also it would have to be a prepaid structure per unit, if it is done any other way, Russ will end up having debtors on his accounts which will be a pain...so it should work along the same way uk mobiles have a "pay as you go" system...

I agree that the costs should only relate to a specific product...not to a general number of moves...

E.G. (i) When entering a tournament a payment is requested immediately after you select "enter tournament"...and a refund is processed within a set period stated in "TOS" should they wish to withdraw.

(ii) Clan movements: a unit cost of playing in a clan challenge...this could get a lot more complicated as inital challenges can be bounced etc..etc...so maybe have a go at the tournament structure first and see how that goes....

p.s. should Russ want to discuss the work I have done previously I will be happy to send him some info......

M

Moves
30 Dec 05

It can only be a positive thing for someone to make many moves, and would non subs still be allowed free moves?

Plus in your equation you forgot to include fixed costs and incidental costs. 🙂

Jay D

London

Moves
30 Dec 05
1 edit

yeah your right they need to be included...

presumably due to the incremental differences between yearly and monthly subscriptions, a unit cost would be calculated to incl all variable and fixed costs, in such a way that it would be viewed under a variation of job costing if it is analysed that deeply...

either way its up to Russ and others to work out profitability, feasibility and added value to business as a whole....