1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    518657
    07 Jan '18 17:19
    Some welcome games don't mature beyond move 1. Since the game can stil be deleted there is no way to notify the Opponent that there is a game on.

    Ideally the site would notify the Opponent ONCE when the timebank Begins to tick down.
    Alternatively I suggest to give greeters the opportunity to send ONE reminder, even though the trashcan is still on.

    I am well aware that suggestion was made by me before without response Thread 170319.
    I still think it would be an addition to the site.
  2. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Joined
    25 Feb '01
    Moves
    57950
    07 Jan '18 17:48
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Some welcome games don't mature beyond move 1. Since the game can stil be deleted there is no way to notify the Opponent that there is a game on.

    Ideally the site would notify the Opponent ONCE when the timebank Begins to tick down.
    Alternatively I suggest to give greeters the opportunity to send ONE reminder, even though the trashcan is still on.
    ...[text shortened]... ithout response Thread 170319.
    I still think it would be an addition to the site.
    A good idea!

    I usually do not send move reminders in my regular games, as I feel it is a player's responsibility to manage their ongoing games.

    But for a newcomer to the site, it would be appropriate to send them a reminder.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    890286
    10 Jan '18 05:47
    Just go with an automatic polite reminder. We could edit our own message.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    518657
    10 Jan '18 09:15
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Just go with an automatic polite reminder. We could edit our own message.
    An automatic polite reminder would also be okay for me.

    Thank you for the suggestion
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    890286
    24 Jan '18 00:40
    Also, how about a preset 1st move greeting?

    Something like, "Hi! Welcome to RHP. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm __________ and I live in _____________, ____."
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    518657
    24 Jan '18 08:53
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Also, how about a preset 1st move greeting?

    Something like, "Hi! Welcome to RHP. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm __________ and I live in _____________, ____."
    This is also a great idea!
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    415997
    24 Jan '18 20:41
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Also, how about a preset 1st move greeting?

    Something like, "Hi! Welcome to RHP. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm __________ and I live in _____________, ____."
    Great idea, that is two in a row I've agreed with! 😉

    -VR
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    890286
    25 Jan '18 00:20
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    Great idea, that is two in a row I've agreed with! 😉

    -VR
    Scary trend.... getting chills
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    318165
    26 Jan '18 06:15
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Also, how about a preset 1st move greeting?

    Something like, "Hi! Welcome to RHP. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm __________ and I live in _____________, ____."
    Don't we already have this facility? My greeter settings include an automatic welcome message. Just because it doesn't show up on the in-game message log doesn't mean that function isn't working, does it?
  10. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    8130
    27 Jan '18 20:59
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    Don't we already have this facility? My greeter settings include an automatic welcome message. Just because it doesn't show up on the in-game message log doesn't mean that function isn't working, does it?
    It's a duality. I don't want to use a standard greeting for those i've played before, or even those who've played in here a lot.

    I'm just suggesting an "intro welcome greeting" for those who are "greeters"
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    318165
    27 Jan '18 21:592 edits
    Originally posted by @billyray
    It's a duality. I don't want to use a standard greeting for those i've played before, or even those who've played in here a lot.

    I'm just suggesting an "intro welcome greeting" for those who are "greeters"
    I was referring to the "edit greeter settings" page you get if you click on the "yes" next to Greeter? on your profile page. AFAIK this only goes to "welcome game" newbies, if indeed it works at all.
  12. UK
    Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    28067
    01 Feb '18 16:10
    Are move reminders still a thing? I haven't seen the envelope icon on my games for years.
  13. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Joined
    25 Feb '01
    Moves
    57950
    01 Feb '18 16:50
    Another option is to send them a reminder in a private message. But chances are they will not see that either.

    I think what often happens is they open an account, start a 'welcome' game, wait about 30 seconds for the game to start,
    and then give up because there is no immediate gratification. Then they just leave the site, never to return.

    So they are not going to see a move reminder, a private message, or anything else because they are not coming back.

    I have not kept track, but I think more than half of my greeter games end exactly that way. It's frustrating. 🙁

    When someone first opens an account, There needs to be a very strong effort to explain the nature of correspondence chess,
    and that it is very different from blitz and OTB type games. It should also be explained that members are from around the world and are not present 24/7.
  14. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    890286
    02 Feb '18 18:04
    Originally posted by @mwmiller
    Another option is to send them a reminder in a private message. But chances are they will not see that either.

    I think what often happens is they open an account, start a 'welcome' game, wait about 30 seconds for the game to start,
    and then give up because there is no immediate gratification. Then they just leave the site, never to return.

    So t ...[text shortened]... es. It should also be explained that members are from around the world and are not present 24/7.
    Maybe a special 1st welcome game message after the first move .. .. something like "Your move has now been sent to your opponent. His (or her) move may come in any time over the next few days so be sure to check back in soon. Enjoy!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35630
    04 Feb '18 21:55
    Originally posted by @baronvonchickenpants
    Are move reminders still a thing? I haven't seen the envelope icon on my games for years.
    I believe move reminders has, as a default, a setting of "no", or unchecked. I think you have to set them yourself if you want them. There was discussion about this some time ago.

    I'm totally not sure about that, so don't quote me, asking why I "lied". I've been here a long time, too long to know how the default settings are set now.

    Naturally, they're also not on if you turned them off.
Back to Top