1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 May '06 15:441 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I think putting your age on the profiles would be a good idea.Also on Avatars in the forums, maybe taken from the initial registration to prevent abuse and so it cant be changed once set.

It seems to me that a lot of smut, and inapropriate stuff goes on in the forums.The request for chicks, swearing and the likes, all seem to be second nature t ...[text shortened]... ults, like the uncensored forum clan, in safety.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
    Great idea, I'm 99 born in 1907.

P-
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 May '06 15:521 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Great idea, I'm 99 born in 1907.

P-
    you might not be, but the joke is. . . 9 out of 10 for repitition
    9 out of 10 for repitition
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 May '06 16:03
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Useless.

Who assures you that someone doesn't lie about age and ,when registering, writes that he's 50 y.o. when he's just 14?
    i wouldnt go as far as to say useless, but i take your point. I am more than happy to be wrong, at least i put the point forward.

I suppose the point about protection V exploitation is valid, and it is really funny to poke fun at the details, but i still believe my suggestion is valid. even if its just the mods who get the information, so they can act with more insight when deciding if a thread stays or go's,
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 May '06 16:05
    i wouldnt go as far as to say useless, but i take your point. I am more than happy to be wrong, at least i put the point forward.

I suppose the point about protection V exploitation is valid, and it is really funny to poke fun at the details, but i still believe my suggestion is valid. even if its just the mods who get the information, so they can act with more insight when deciding if a thread stays or go's,
    I like it best the way you posted your idea in three forums. That was great. Retard.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 May '06 16:071 edit
    I think putting your age on the profiles would be a good idea.Also on Avatars in the forums, maybe taken from the initial registration to prevent abuse and so it cant be changed once set.

It seems to me that a lot of smut, and inapropriate stuff goes on in the forums.The request for chicks, swearing and the likes, all seem to be second nature t ...[text shortened]... ults, like the uncensored forum clan, in safety.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
    I do not.
    Firstly when I swear in a post I have thought about it and I am swearing to make a point clearer than it would otherwise be.

Secondly, I'm sure most 8 year olds hear worse language on the schoolyard than they'll ever read here. The age limit is for legal reasons....I presume.

Thirdly, I totally oppose an adult uncensored forum clan concept. It will only divide up more issues, make other forums less interesting and will turn into a swear-fest, where swearing is no longer to accenturate something, but has actually become the goal.
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 May '06 16:13
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I do not.
    Firstly when I swear in a post I have thought about it and I am swearing to make a point clearer than it would otherwise be.

Secondly, I'm sure most 8 year olds hear worse language on the schoolyard than they'll ever read here. The age limit is for legal reasons....I presume.

Thirdly, I totally oppose an adult uncensored forum clan conc ...[text shortened]... -fest, where swearing is no longer to accenturate something, but has actually become the goal.
    firstly, everyone on the site aint you.

secondly, doesnt make it right (although i take your point)

thirdly, i'm not trying to promote the "option to swear in a safe enviroment", just for people to think before they type.

Like i said, being wrong isn't an issue here.

Thanks for taking the idea seriously though 🙂
  7. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 May '06 16:15
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I like it best the way you posted your idea in three forums. That was great. Retard.
    thanks.

always sure of a smidge of witt from the under developed one.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 May '06 16:27
    firstly, everyone on the site aint you.
    Yeah, thanks for reminding me on that one.
    I keep thinking I'm everyone all the time. It tires me out so much, you just wouldn't believe it.
  9. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 May '06 16:29
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Yeah, thanks for reminding me on that one.
    I keep thinking I'm everyone all the time. It tires me out so much, you just wouldn't believe it.
    i'm sure you get that a lot
  10. 19th tee
    Moves
    28 May '06 17:161 edit
    [b]To register on this site you have to certify that you are 13 or over.
    13 and over? Is that right? Oh heck. I've just been recruited into a clan by a 10 yr old! Is that 3 points onto my driving licence? Should I report my capitan? Promotion!! I must confess to being 65 on Thursday 1st June. Where the heck did those years go? Any one interested in State Pensions in the UK take a look at a 'state pension in the UK". I have more to add to that. sorry it's all in bold type. I'm just a grumpy old git.
  11. Joined
    26 Sep '05
    Moves
    28 May '06 17:39
    The whole idea is exceptionally bad. It would encourage the possibility of children revealing their age, online, to potential predators. I really can't see what is to be gained that is so important that it would make this idea acceptable.
  12. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 May '06 18:50
    Originally posted by Dudley
    13 and over? Is that right? Oh heck. I've just been recruited into a clan by a 10 yr old! Is that 3 points onto my driving licence? Should I report my capitan? Promotion!! I must confess to being 65 on Thursday 1st June. Where the heck did those years go? Any one interested in State Pensions in the UK take a look at a 'state pension in the UK". I have more to add to that. sorry it's all in bold type. I'm just a grumpy old git.
    you see, maybe in jest, you've hit on a very good point.

In all probability there are under 13's on the site, i mean, all you have to do is put a search in for chess, and particularly non-subs (who dont need credit card details and the like) dont have to prove what age they are. I am part of a chess group where there are contributers to the site as young as 6.
    Not only would some restraint be welcome to make the site more family friendly, it would also be good for those of us who dont want be subjected to dumb vulgarity when we play on a chess site (i've already been accused of "searchinmg for a date", just for raising this issue).

One last point. If the age restriction was lifted on the site, more people could use the site, hence nore money to russ, and people of all ages could enjoy what the site has to offer.
  13. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    29 May '06 01:15
    Ridiculous.

Why must a younger person need to be pampered by the adults of this site? If a kid joined they knew what they were getting into, if they can't handle it then they'll leave. Pesonnaly I don't want any "being nice to young people" treatment because then you're only being uncontested because you're young, not because you're right. What would our ages posted on our profiles prove/accomplish? Being treated like an equal, a real person has given me some insight into different ideas (though I may disagree with them), and I believe has taught me a lot. People will put what they want to put on their profiles, that's why it's THEIR profiles, so they can say what they want and not say what they don't want.
  14. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    29 May '06 01:20
    To register on this site you have to certify that you are 13 or over.
    Well, that's a fine idea, to be sure. But honestly, what self-respected, rebellious young child will say "Yeah, I'm too young, and it's probably best for me not to join until then."? Plenty of children are playing under the radar here, it's easy. All they have to do is not parade the fact, and they are safe. Perhaps the only surefire way to work it would be to do a background check on the over 100000 usernames on the site, but that's not really worth the time and effort to the moderators.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 May '06 07:54
    Originally posted by abejnood
    Well, that's a fine idea, to be sure. But honestly, what self-respected, rebellious young child will say "Yeah, I'm too young, and it's probably best for me not to join until then."? Plenty of children are playing under the radar here, it's easy. All they have to do is not parade the fact, and they are safe. Perhaps the only surefire way to work it would be ...[text shortened]... usernames on the site, but that's not really worth the time and effort to the moderators.
    As I said before, I believe the age limit is for legal reasons.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree