1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    28 May '06 03:412 edits
    I think putting your age on the profiles would be a good idea.Also on Avatars in the forums, maybe taken from the initial registration to prevent abuse and so it cant be changed once set.

It seems to me that a lot of smut, and inapropriate stuff goes on in the forums.The request for chicks, swearing and the likes, all seem to be second nature to some people.

Maybe if the ages of the audience were on display, it would not happen so much.

an example is the thread with bishop 7

Thread 44151

it now seems apparent to me that bishop7 was only a kid, and that everyone who took the piss out of the poor guy (me included), was beating up on someone they otherwise wouldnt have if they knew he was only 10 or 12. This thread was not flagged for any swearing or bad subject matter, but if bishop7 is really only 10 say, then the whole thread takes on a more nasty hue.

This occured to me during this thread

Thread 44216

I dont think some people realise the age difference when they start argueing on this forum, and i believe more care would be shown if they did.

Finally it means that adult subject matter could be kept between adults, like the uncensored forum clan, in safety.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
  2. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    28 May '06 03:58
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I think putting your age on the profiles would be a good idea.Also on Avatars in the forums, maybe taken from the initial registration to prevent abuse and so it cant be changed once set.

It seems to me that a lot of smut, and inapropriate stuff goes on in the forums.The request for chicks, swearing and the likes, all seem to be second nature t ...[text shortened]... ults, like the uncensored forum clan, in safety.

I agree that it ould be an excellent idea. It would make us all think twice about the content of our posts, just out of common manners alone.
    😏
  3. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '06 04:12
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    I agree that it ould be an excellent idea. It would make us all think twice about the content of our posts, just out of common manners alone.
    😏
    Yes it is a good idea. Assuming that one would not start an account with a bogus age just to try to fan the flames of ill will.

Like everything else, when you try to make an improvement, there will be those out there who will be determined to undermine the good intent of the action. That's unfortunate but I would hope it would not keep those submitted improvements from being considered.
  4. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 May '06 05:33
    This is not a good idea. I don't want to be treated differently just because I am younger than others. I believe this has a name AGEISM. You would claim that you are doing it for my own good, but as another poster mentioned, common manners towards others on this site would work better.

Isn't there supposed to be an age limit for players on this site anyway?

This smacks of ill; there is a reason that people do not oft reveal their age online, and doing so here should be no different.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 May '06 06:441 edit

It seems to me that a lot of smut, and inapropriate stuff goes on in the forums.The request for chicks, swearing and the likes, all seem to be second nature t ...[text shortened]... ults, like the uncensored forum clan, in safety.

To register on this site you have to certify that you are 13 or over. If you aren't then you shouldn't be here. Simple as that.

Your idea is a truely horrible one for more reasons that just that.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 May '06 07:55
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    ...there is a reason that people do not oft reveal their age online.
    What reason is that?

I don't think there is any way this could be made to work in any case.
    I'm 98 years old - prove otherwise.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '06 09:23
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I'm 98 years old - prove otherwise.
    www.oprah.com/health/lifestages/ realage/health_real_main.jhtml
  8. The sky
    Moves
    28 May '06 12:02
    The request for chicks, swearing and the likes, all seem to be second nature to some people.

Maybe if the ages of the audience were on display, it would not happen so much.
    Yes, those who are looking for 14 y.o. chicks wouldn't need to spam the forums, they could PM them directly. Very helpful...
  9. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    28 May '06 12:12
    Originally posted by trevor33
    www.oprah.com/health/lifestages/ realage/health_real_main.jhtml
    The hell were you on Oprah.com for?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '06 12:15
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    The hell were you on Oprah.com for?
    fell into it looking for something else.
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    28 May '06 13:02

Useless.

Who assures you that someone doesn't lie about age and ,when registering, writes that he's 50 y.o. when he's just 14?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '06 13:10
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Useless.

Who assures you that someone doesn't lie about age and ,when registering, writes that he's 50 y.o. when he's just 14?
    or the other way around
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 May '06 13:234 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    28 May '06 13:31
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    If Bishop7 was only a kid then he did a very nice job of creating a website, in no time at all, to show his B+K v K "checkmate" with his request for the 100000$ owed to him for "winning" the bet. (Removed when finally convinced he was wrong)

I may be wrong but I dont think he wasn't a kid at all, just an older novice that
    didn't listen to polite reason - and so had the p taken out of him.
    That is quite fair if they are old enough to mentally defend themselves, or be proven too stupid. If we are adults, we cover our own butts, but kids are'nt as scarred by life as we are to understand sarcastic wit. Damn shame to waste good lines.
  15. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 May '06 13:33

people are welcome to put their ages on their profiles at the moment, for example mine is on my profile. However, no one will actually know whether that is true or not, and that would be the same case with your proposal. So i have to say that i don't think it is a good idea

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree