Ratings criteria - Open Invitations

Ratings criteria - Open Invitations

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Name Maddox

County Doledrum

Moves
02 Aug 15

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I've checked the archive and I can see no record: would it be possible for Russ to introduce additional ratings criteria for open invites so that it includes increments of fifty, or better, a specifically inputted rating number? For example, I'd like to set my upper ratings cap filter for opponents at 1750 rather than 1700 or 1800, and short of hanging around looking for a specific opponent, there's no easy way to do it.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
19 Sep 15

Originally posted by Amaurote
My apologies if this has been asked before, but I've checked the archive and I can see no record: would it be possible for Russ to introduce additional ratings criteria for open invites so that it includes increments of fifty, or better, a specifically inputted rating number? For example, I'd like to set my upper ratings cap filter for opponents at 1750 rat ...[text shortened]... 1800, and short of hanging around looking for a specific opponent, there's no easy way to do it.
In fact I think the limit should be a number typed in as in challenge settings.

Australia

Moves
20 Sep 15

Originally posted by Ponderable
In fact I think the limit should be a number typed in as in challenge settings.
Agreed.

Here

Moves
21 Sep 15

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I've checked the archive and I can see no record: would it be possible for Russ to introduce additional ratings criteria for open invites so that it includes increments of fifty, or better, a specifically inputted rating number? For example, I'd like to set my upper ratings cap filter for opponents at 1750 rat ...[text shortened]... 1800, and short of hanging around looking for a specific opponent, there's no easy way to do it.
Best of luck with that.Like most good ideas on this site it will probably fall on deaf ears and if you manage to get what you want that 1750 rating is probably a 2000 rated player who has resigned a load of games to get it down

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
21 Sep 15

I have changed the increments to 50, but I think a better idea (as well as directly inputting limits - not a problem) is a "within n points of my rating" which appears to be the most common usage of the filters anyway.

Here

Moves
21 Sep 15

Originally posted by Russ
I have changed the increments to 50, but I think a better idea (as well as directly inputting limits - not a problem) is a "within n points of my rating" which appears to be the most common usage of the filters anyway.
Well knock me down with a feather
Still haven't sorted the other problem out though

No Name Maddox

County Doledrum

Moves
27 Sep 15

Many thanks for this, Russ, that's brilliant.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
27 Sep 15

While on the 'rating criteria' subject, I do not mind playing a provisional rated member, but that option goes away if you specify a rating range. Someone with a provisional rating can not accept your open invite if you have specified any kind of rating limits.

Maybe we could just have an extra option box to indicate that we do not wish to play someone with a provisional rating. If you check the box, then a provisional rated member will not be able to pick up any of your 'open invite' games. If you do not check it, then you are fair game for anyone as long as they fall within the rating limits you specify, provisional rating or regular.

Here

Moves
27 Sep 15

Originally posted by mwmiller
While on the 'rating criteria' subject, I do not mind playing a provisional rated member, but that option goes away if you specify a rating range. Someone with a provisional rating can not accept your open invite if you have specified any kind of rating limits.

Maybe we could just have an extra option box to indicate that we do not wish to play someone ...[text shortened]... anyone as long as they fall within the rating limits you specify, provisional rating or regular.
I like your optimism that the rating you want to play is the rating you get to play
On this site there is no guarantee of that the way ratings can be modified

Australia

Moves
28 Sep 15

I used to put "only p1200 please" in the game name, but it was universally ignored and I got pretty tired of deleting unwanted games. I don't mind playing p1200s at all, if they turn out to be strong players it doesn't cost me much in the way of rating points, and I get to meet new people.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Sep 15

Originally posted by Kewpie
I used to put "only p1200 please" in the game name, but it was universally ignored and I got pretty tired of deleting unwanted games. I don't mind playing p1200s at all, if they turn out to be strong players it doesn't cost me much in the way of rating points, and I get to meet new people.
This is why I do it the other way round and look for open invites from p1200's or challenge them if I see them moving (Players list)