Redo

Standard memberBrad Esta
Site Ideas 27 Sep '04 13:19
  1. Joined
    19 Dec '03
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 13:19
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but sometimes when I make a move then click move, I then realize that I made the wrong move. So, I was thinking we should have like a redo button, and you can redo only your last move, and only if your opponent hasn't moved yet. I would like to see what everyone else thinks, please recommend if you like the idea.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 17:21
    Originally posted by Brad Esta
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but sometimes when I make a move then click move, I then realize that I made the wrong move. So, I was thinking we should have like a redo button, and you can redo only your last move, and only if your opponent hasn't moved yet. I would like to see what everyone else thinks, please recommend if you like the idea.
    I thought about that before, but what if the opponent in question downloads all the pgn's and decides on moves offline using chess database software, then logs in and just does the moves. I used to do that when I accessed the site using dial up. It would completely mess people up who played that way.

Sorry, I don't see any way around it. And sorry, no rec 😉

D
  3. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 18:24
    No rec. At least, not automatically.

The takeback feature in the online sites (FICS, ICC, etc) is nice for the times you'd rather play a game out rather than take the win due to a blunder. However, it's got to be by request and not automatic.

To harp on my personal "please add" feature, having a notebook you could update on your turn can go a long way towards fixing this. Plan your move; update the notebook with the choice; then come back an hour/day/week later and see if you still agree with it. THEN, make the move.
  4. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    27 Sep '04 20:51
    In chess, when you touch a piece you have to move it. Here, if you move a piece, if you take a decision, it is made. fullstop.
    not a good idea, sorry.
    th
  5. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    28 Sep '04 20:002 edits
    Originally posted by Brad Esta
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but sometimes when I make a move then click move, I then realize that I made the wrong move. So, I was thinking we should have like a redo button, and you can redo only your last move, and only if your ...[text shortened]... what everyone else thinks, please recommend if you like the idea.
    i dont like it either im afraid. at best i would be for a redo button only in unrated games but i used to lay at another chess site - where i was constantly asked to allow takebacks. out of politeness i always allowed it , but i never asked for them cause i didnt believe in them myself...

once i denied a takeback and the guy got really stroppy and said he would take his maximum 5 or 10 minutes allowed per move to make his remaining moves keeping me up dead late at night. it wasnt correspondance like here. of course this sort of problem specifically might not arise here, it could certainly breed ill-feeling between opponents if refused

i vote no. sorry.

edit - just to let you know i stayed up late and made a point of kicking his ass (for those of you who wondered)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree